Gransnet forums

News & politics

Voting quandry

(809 Posts)
marbles Mon 24-Apr-17 12:42:44

I'm a life-long Labour voter but cannot bear to suppprt Corbyn in the forthcoming election. The party will remain a shambles until it is under proper leadership and he seems to have totally lost the plot. I will not vote Conservative for many reasons and I feel betrayed by Theresa May's u-turn on Brexit, u-turn on not calling an election...there is no trust.

I will not abstain - the vote is a privilege. But for the first time I am seriously at a loss. There is no credible opposition. Locally there are no viable candidates that I feel I can endorse in order to make a point. I need to put my X in the box and it's the first time ever I've thought they are all as bad as each other.

Beammeupscottie Mon 08-May-17 16:29:53

ab. Terrifying article in the Times to-day, suggesting that Corbin and his crew will not go without a fight. He thrives on dissent and will use what proportion he has of the vote to insist he has a big enough mandate to Oppose. Labour needs another Tony Blair to win. But who is coming up the ranks, as it were?
If they should ever remake "Catweazle" Corbyn would have a nice little job.

Anniebach Mon 08-May-17 17:43:43

I hsve heard they hive a plan Beam, yes a cunning plan, get supporters into the PLP , get as many of their supporters to stand at bi elections, two in the short list for Liverpool Walton are an aide to Len McClusky and an aide to Corbyn, a very safe labour seat. They are also hoping some returned MP's will stand down I'd Corbyn doesn't, snother five years of him! and there will be more bi elections and they can put up more of their supporters . I doubt Corbyn will stand down, he is there to change the party into his image

Beammeupscottie Mon 08-May-17 18:50:49

I think we need to contact "The Sopranos".

Anniebach Mon 08-May-17 19:07:08

Welsh Labour has launched the election campaign, it is centred on Carwyn, no mention of Corbyn.

A poll released today gives the Tories quite a lead over labour, we are in danger of a Tory majority and the loss of some good Welsh MP's.

So I will be supporting and working for Welsh Labour

GracesGranMK2 Mon 08-May-17 19:36:30

No use Eleothan, you can keep trying to defend a rude question, the question was - who are you voting for? Your waffle is boring sorry.

Oh pleeease. Of course it's not rude to ask someone who how they voted. That is why the phrase "that's between me and the ballot box" came about. Really Annie, that was all you had to say.

rosesarered Mon 08-May-17 23:26:25

It may or may not be rude to ask how a poster will vote, but it would certainly be rude to keep on asking.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 09-May-17 08:40:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

daphnedill Tue 09-May-17 11:32:11

annie The Conservatives also put their own chosen candidates into empty seats. It's happened in my constituency. One of the hopefuls was an aide to T May (but involved in the election expenses fraud) and the other (the one who was chosen) was the Conservative Deputy leader of Greater London. This is a safe Conservative seat, so she has a job for life and I wouldn't be surprised to see her on the front benches within a couple of years. Our last MP was here for nearly 40 years and was quite moderate. He campaigned for Remain.

She's a hardline supporter of Leave (this area was almost 50/50) and believes in other right-wing Conservative policies. She's only in her mid 30s and is obviously very career-orientated. She won't be rocking the Theresa May boat. The local Conservative Party is not happy that it wasn't allowed to vote for a local person. It was given a list of three names and told to choose one.