Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit - the end of the beginning - the negotiations begin

(309 Posts)
JessM Sat 29-Apr-17 13:57:34

The 27 nations agreed on these principles. It took them a minute to do so.
Lots of food for thought. And not much scope for tub thumping tough negotiating rhetoric is there?
Lots to chew over here but not much wriggle room for UK.

www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2017/04/29-euco-brexit-guidelines/

Fitzy54 Wed 03-May-17 22:59:37

Just heard the Irish foreign minister and an EU official on Newsnight. Sounded a lot more reasonable than the stuff Juncker and co have been broadcasting. We just need to follow the EU process despite the stitch up but make it clear that anything we agree is not fully agreed until everything (including on trade) is agreed. That's their rule in any event.

durhamjen Wed 03-May-17 23:03:04

His job at the moment is to electioneer, to make sure he gets back into parliament, isn't it? Why would he want to be helpful to May?

Theresa May's attitude is better, is it, being snide and sneery about the EU?

I presume you've heard what Kelvin McKenzie said today?

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/03/kelvin-mackenzie-sun-corbyn-knifed-tories

Fitzy54 Wed 03-May-17 23:36:54

I don't see him getting any new votes by effectively saying nothing at all. And no, I'm not saying TM is any better. But no worse as far as I can see.
I never listen to anything McKenzie says.

durhamjen Wed 03-May-17 23:41:48

"The Sun’s suspended columnist and former editor, Kelvin MacKenzie, could be reported to the police for inciting hatred and violence towards Jeremy Corbyn, Labour sources have said, after he joked about the party leader being “knifed to death”.

In a recent interview with the New York Times, MacKenzie reportedly said: “I think the fake news headline that would give this country the most joy would be: ‘Jeremy Corbyn knifed to death by an asylum seeker’.”

The New York Times correspondent behind the interview, Katrin Bennhold, reveals in the article that MacKenzie sent her a text message urging her to tone down the quote."

petra Thu 04-May-17 06:41:51

I see that the Belgium finance minister thinks the eu is dead in its present form as it " spends more time debating the size of olive pots than securing its borders"
Says it all !!

JessM Thu 04-May-17 07:19:05

May does not have to take us out of the Customs Union. Turkey is in the Customs Union. Jersey is not a member of the EU but it is in the Customs Union. Insisting on doing this is like climbing into a coffin and paying someone to nail you in and bury you.

durhamjen Thu 04-May-17 08:56:08

www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-03/u-k-may-have-to-accept-eu-free-movement-for-years-report-says

durhamjen Thu 04-May-17 09:01:08

Standard Chartered moving to Frankfurt.