Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ian Brady

(136 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Tue 16-May-17 08:26:27

At last we don't have to pay to keep him in prison. My heart goes out to the families of his victims, particularly the child whose grave was never found.

Smileless2012 Tue 16-May-17 16:04:30

And also true that some were raised by loving and caring families but grew up to be killers (can't think of any examples but here must be).

Ana Tue 16-May-17 16:05:05

Not their fault - they did it because they suffered as a child and were angry?

mumofmadboys Tue 16-May-17 16:42:41

Luckylegs As a Christian you will know we are all equal in God's eyes. 'Worthless excuses for human beings' is not a good phrase. We are all made in God's image and are children of God.

I worked with the forensic psychiatrist who was assessing Peter Sutcliffe and he was very clearly a paranoid schizophrenic. He is now a burnt out schizophrenic with less positive symptoms but probably many of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.
Of course I feel an enormous sadness for the children and families who suffered so horrendously but it doesn't mean I hate the perpetrator although I hate absolutely the crime.

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 16:47:25

We should feel sorry for any child who is suffering surely Ana

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 16:49:04

Jeremy Bamber Smileless ?

Anya Tue 16-May-17 16:54:20

My mother was a paranoid schizophrenic. That is not an excuse for murder.

angelab Tue 16-May-17 16:58:01

Glad to see this on the BBC:

Ian Brady's body will not be released until the coroner is assured that his ashes will not be scattered on Saddleworth Moor.

Janetblogs Tue 16-May-17 17:00:49

I read lots of "serial killer" books and none of them are depicted as mentally ill but they are all depicted as cold calculating obsessive lovers of torture and getting off in watching their victims die
Now why is that - I believe that some people like Nielson Ian Brady etc are fundamentally evil
They don't have the feelings that "normal" people have in that they feel no remorse no guilt and have no qualms about what they do
When guilt like this is proven beyond any shadow of doubt then I think the death penalty should be the only option - not only would it starve the killer of the oxygen of publicity but it would go Some way to making the families of the victims feel vindicated

Chewbacca Tue 16-May-17 17:10:42

Good riddance, glad he's gone. Only wish it had been sooner.

Ana Tue 16-May-17 17:15:01

Annie, in Brady's case you don't know whether he ever suffered as a child or not, or to what extent. So why should anyone feel sorry for him?

Do you know what he and Hindley did to those children?

Please stop trying to prove your point - it isn't working.

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 17:32:03

Ana, I do know what they did to the children, and I am not trying to prove anything, I , like you am posting my opinions , please stop telling me what not to post

Chewbacca Tue 16-May-17 18:02:30

I grew up in Ashton-under-Lyne in the 1950s and 60s and I was on Ashton market, with my mum, on the day that John Kilbride was taken away. I used to go swimming with John's brother, Terry. I know exactly what the effect was on his family and how his mum never gave up hope that John would come home one day. I know exactly what it was like having those 5 murders, in a very small, insular town and the effect that it had on us children, parents, families of the victims. Because I lived in the area that Brady and Hindley murdered the children, I grew up not being allowed to play out alone; go to the shop on my own; go to my grandma's on my own or walk to and from school on my own. Because my childhood was impacted, to quite a large degree by Brady and Hindley, I feel that I have the right to state that I don't give a damn if he/she/they were mentally ill or not, I'm just glad that the pair of them are dead. John Kilbride's family have never, ever got over his murder, they have never been able to move beyond it. His murder ripped his family apart and the ramifications go on to this day. And I'd imagine that the same is true for the families of Lesley Ann Downey; Keith Bennett; Pauline Readers and Edward Evans.

If there is a hell, I hope that Brady and Hindley are in it.

wot Tue 16-May-17 18:14:41

My next door neighbour's sister was a prison officer where Myra Hindley was held. The officers felt quite sorry for her just before she died.

wot Tue 16-May-17 18:16:47

Perhaps she manipulated them into pitying her.

rafichagran Tue 16-May-17 18:21:51

A very evil and manipulative man. Totally ages with Anya on this. He is a murderer, and showed very little respect for poor Keith Bennett's Mother, she went to her grave with no peace, and all she wanted was too know where her sons body was.

I feel nothing for that worthless creatures demise, and I am glad that they said on the news they will keep looking for Keith Bennett's body.

rafichagran Tue 16-May-17 18:24:28

Sorry agree with * Anya*

wot Tue 16-May-17 18:35:04

I remember reading in the paper about how Brady killed that poor teenager with an axe. It was very graphic and disturbed me.

jacksmum Tue 16-May-17 19:13:58

When they were both found guilty they should have both been put in a cage and left on the moors to rot.

sunseeker Tue 16-May-17 19:20:34

Chewbacca A very moving post. We forget that the people living in the area at the time were also affected.

As I said before I don't believe either Brady or Hindley were mentally ill at the time of the murders. Brady enjoyed controlling and having power over others, even when he knew he was dying he would not give the location of the childs grave - it was his last opportunity for control. Hindley was besotted with him and allowed herself to be manipulated into helping him carry out his murders.

Smileless2012 Tue 16-May-17 19:35:58

Oh yes Anniebach I think you're right about Jeremy Bamber, well donesmile.

Yes that is good news angelab it's a pity they didn't stop Hindley's ashes being scattered on the moors when she died. My old next door neighbour was a prison officer who spent several years 'looking after' Hindley. When she was pregnant Hindley knitted her a jacket for the babyhmm. She told me there were many tortured souls on her wing who couldn't sleep at night but Hindley slept like a baby.

She wasn't so besotted with Brady that she refused to stop writing to him to improve her own chances of parole.

GillT57 Tue 16-May-17 19:40:11

Agree, a very moving post chewbacca and a reminder of how these terrible things impact the whole community. It may slip from the front pages of newspapers, and thus out of most minds, but not where you were brought up. I remember the news coverage, and my parents talking about it and stopping when I came in the room, dad was in the Police so perhaps knew more than most what terrible things were done to those children, the name Saddleworth Moor, still to me is part of this event in my childhood. God rot their souls

phoenix Tue 16-May-17 19:45:12

Nature v nurture, is there ever a complete, comprehensive, validated answer to this?

Personally I doubt it.

Jalima1108 Tue 16-May-17 19:48:57

Do we not accept the man was mentally ill?
No I don't think he was.
Some people are purely evil.

I agree with Smileless that we should have respected his human rights and not force-fed him when he went on hunger strike. Perhaps they should have made him sign an affidavit absolving the prison officers and medical staff of any blame and reiterating that he did not wish to be revived under any circumstances.

celebgran Tue 16-May-17 19:56:20

Jeremy bomber has always protested his innocence and I have mixed feelings on that as his cousins were known to me they lived in village next to me andwe went on Same school bus,

Therefore I took avid interest in it. His adopted sister was schizophrenic and there were lot flaws in evidence,
It would be horrendous if he has spent lifetime in prison wrongfully.

Evidence was taken of a jilted girlfriend so that seemed wrong,

Sorryndigressed here,
Ian Brady was pure evil and his callous rape and murder of Lesley down and the tape recording of her praying for her mummy was sooo moving, poor little girl and that was just the start. Whatever excuse is given for his mental, depraved evil murder and torture of those poor youngsters there is no excuse in my book
Spare some thought for living relatives of those he murdered

Have to say am with Anya on this one,

celebgran Tue 16-May-17 19:56:46

Jeremy bamber ,lol