Gransnet forums

News & politics

VERY IMPORTANT NHS News!

(85 Posts)
NikkiW Mon 29-May-17 10:02:57

No matter who you are thinking of voting for on the 8th June, please watch this short clip on the Naylor report which the tories are backing.

So, in easy short words, Theresa May is not just in favour of selling off the NHS, she thinks the government should PAY people to TAKE IT AWAY. A BOGOF deal on hospitals, buy one get one free

We should be angry at the TEN BILLION POUNDS they are expecting to spend on the process of giving (sorry selling) the NHS to private companies, OVER AND ABOVE the BOGOF deal

The bottom line:
Trusts must sell their hospitals, or be deprived of public funding to keep them open. The government will throw away whatever money it takes to make the sales of assets more attractive, and Theresa May supports this idea.

Please share far and wide - we need to get this message out!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx3hrpDCct8

www.whitehouseconsulting.co.uk/…/The-Naylor-Review-…

#votelabour

Ana Mon 29-May-17 18:02:17

Convenient cop-out...

whitewave Mon 29-May-17 18:02:51

Tell me about it

Ana Mon 29-May-17 18:04:35

Tell you about what?

whitewave Mon 29-May-17 18:06:15

Have you never heard that phrase ana?

Ana Mon 29-May-17 18:07:49

What phrase?

whitewave Mon 29-May-17 18:08:51

grin you are such a wind up merchant, but it leaves me cold I'm afraid.

Ana Mon 29-May-17 18:10:01

Oh well, turn the heating up.

whitewave Mon 29-May-17 18:13:09

Back to my original point.

I reckon most of the right wing on here would support the privatisation of the NHS. The fact that none of them is disputing it shows my opinion to be fact.

daphnedill Mon 29-May-17 18:14:44

If unbiased reports are wanted, here's a link to the Department of Health's own reports on the Naylor Review:

www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-property-and-estates-naylor-review

Ana Mon 29-May-17 18:21:11

The fact that none of them is disputing it shows my opinion to be fact.

Rubbsh! The fact that none of them are disputing it either means they haven't read this thread or would prefer to keep their own counsel on the subject.

Either way, no way is your opinion fact.

whitewave Mon 29-May-17 18:25:34

I know ana it is my opinion just as we on the left are so frequently told. I am entitled .to my opinion. I have no facts to present with this opinion.

thatbags Mon 29-May-17 18:26:20

Just been checking some recent history, from the left-leaning New Statesman, that it was a Labour government that started bringing private money into the NHS while Andy Burnham was Health Secretary. Does that mean he's a right wing Tory now?

My feeling, for what it's worth, which is probably not much, is that the NHS is in desperate need of large reform. Some of it is not working very well at all. I don't know what the reforms should be but I know reforms are needed and have been needed for quite a while.

What I am in favour of is health care across the board that is free at the point of receipt, which principle is, I think, the fundamental one on which the NHS was founded. If that principle is adhered to I don't really care how it is achieved, whether all by taxation or by a combination of taxation and private money. What matters is that it works properly.

Is it not true that health services in some other European countries are funded by public and private money? Is it necessarily true that putting some private money into the NHS will make it worse?

Genuine questions because I really don't know.

NikkiW Mon 29-May-17 18:29:36

I'm saddened by the reaction of some of these replies - this is information on what is going to happen to our NHS, the tories have categorically stated they won't sell it off, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the case when reading this report.

I'm just shocked that we aren't all wanting to protect what many other countries are envious of. We won't really know how good a service it is until it's gone and I just hope that some of you who don't support a party that wants to save it never have to use it in an emergency. sad

whitewave Mon 29-May-17 18:31:33

bags yes!!

I looked at all the various European health systems at one time, and whilst few are funded by private entities, most are a mixture of the state and a form of nonprofit making insurance.

I think they work rather well, I was particularly impressed with Switzerland and Germany.

daphnedill Mon 29-May-17 18:37:34

As anybody who had actually read it knows, the Naylor Review isn't so much about the privatisation or outsourcing of the NHS, but the sale of the NHS estate.

Estate worth at least £2 billion is earmarked for sale. My town is growing rapidly, has a hospital which is hardly used and desperately needs to upgrade and expand GP services. We have campaigned to retain the hospital, to provide minor ops, an out of hours service and low dependency beds. The public is overwhelmingly behind the proposals, but the land is worth more to developers.

At one time, we had three local hospitals. Two were sold years ago and the third is being prepared for sale. Nearly all services have been transferred and there are no wards left. It's probable that housing will be built on the land, which will increase the need for medical services...hmmm.

durhamjen Mon 29-May-17 18:40:25

2013 we had a big top-down reform of the NHS. We are now in the middle of another big one, changing to STPs.
I can't believe that you have not heard of them, bags.

durhamjen Mon 29-May-17 18:42:48

Isn't selling the NHS estate privatising and outsourcing the NHS?

Jane10 Mon 29-May-17 18:43:26

I'm with you on this thatbags. We can't stay the same. Things have to change to reflect the current demands, new treatments and resources. The Swiss and German systems look interesting.
The NHS needs to be looked at outwith the typical parliamentary terms ie not something to be used for propaganda by any party. Not privatised but not necessarily free for all at every point. Non profit making.

daphnedill Mon 29-May-17 18:48:53

Not really dj - it's selling land for housing or whatever. It will no longer have anything to do with the NHS or even healthcare.

Outsourcing is about providing health service by private providers.

durhamjen Mon 29-May-17 18:51:05

Isn't your and bags NHS different anyway? You both live in Scotland.
NHS estates is English. Are your hospitals being sold off?

daphnedill Mon 29-May-17 18:51:23

Apart from the payment model, the big difference between the NHS and the German healthcare system is that Germans (including pensioners) pay much more than we do in the UK.

daphnedill Mon 29-May-17 18:52:57

The Naylor Review isn't about selling off functioning hospitals. It's about selling off land for other purposes ie asset stripping.

durhamjen Mon 29-May-17 18:56:09

Buildings and land, daphne.

durhamjen Mon 29-May-17 19:05:09

The Naylor review is actually called NHS Property and Estates.

NikkiW Mon 29-May-17 19:27:11

durhamjen I think you might be wasting your time sad