Gransnet forums

News & politics

Piers Morgan vs Tommy Robinson?!

(31 Posts)
norose4 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:57:14

compelling viewing,any opinions out there?

daphnedill Fri 23-Jun-17 14:19:45

By the way Baggs, why are you repeating the argument Tommy Robinson himself made in a video adddressed to his "enemies"?

I've read quite a bit that Shireen Qudosi. It's written in the style of all extremists who twist facts to suit their own agenda.

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 15:19:16

OK, dd, I accept what you say about Shireen Q and thank you for the information. I mean that.

Now, please will you read the thread I linked to and tell me what, in that thread, is extreme? I really would appreciate thst because I read it and didn't think there was anything extreme in it.

I haven't heard much of what Tommy Robinson has said, either in the past or recently, but what I have heard that him say hasn't been extreme. Until recently I regarded him in the same light as you and almost everyone else does.

Do you, or does anyone, see my problem? It would appear from what you say that I don't recognise extremism when I read it. So please point out exactly what SQ said in that Twitter thread that is extreme or what TR said in the interview that is extreme. I am open to persuasion based on what either of them has said during the times specified not based on who they are or claim to be.

Deal?

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 15:19:35

I'm all ears.

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 15:29:39

PS re the argument about it not being islamophobic to criticise aspect of Islam, I repeat that because I think it's true. Why do I think it's true? Because Muslims are not a homogenous mass who all think and believe the same things, same as Christians aren't, or any other religious group you care to name.

And because I don't hate or fear Muslims any more than I hate or fear Christians. As usual I'm distinguishing between people and ideas/belief systems.

norose4 Fri 23-Jun-17 17:32:59

Well looking on the good side you could deduce that TR was trying to tone down his usual language& opinions in an attempt to make his views more palatable . I don't agree with his views or actions but many many people do..... so maybe just maybe Piers Morgan missed an opportunity to understand & find out what the people of our country are up against in terms of in tolerance / predjudices in our mixed society , it cannot be ignored that many people have concerns, & because these aren't being acknowledged &. Discussed it is leaving a space for prejudice to thrive.