Gransnet forums

News & politics

I Will Deal With It

(710 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 23-Jul-17 13:25:07

If you have a worry/problem or are concerned about an injustice ,voice your concerns and the person you voice them to replies 'I Will Deal With It' what would you expect?

gillybob Sun 23-Jul-17 13:29:04

I would expect them to do just that . Deal with it
Do you feel like sharing your particular concern Anniebach it's fine if not smile

Devorgilla Sun 23-Jul-17 13:34:54

Just guessing here Anniebach, but I assume you are referring to student debt and JC's stance. If not apologies.

petra Sun 23-Jul-17 13:39:09

I'm too much of a cynic now to believe people when they give that reply.
I take " I will deal with it" as "go away, I don't want to know"

Anniebach Sun 23-Jul-17 13:41:11

Yes I am referring to Corbyns 'I Will Deal With It ' when speaking of student debts at the same time as speaking of stopping university fees , just ten days before the election.

For me it is a promise the person will act and not ' it is my ambition to do something about it,

Gilly, I am ok

Ana Sun 23-Jul-17 13:41:35

news.sky.com/story/jeremy-corbyn-i-never-promised-to-abolish-student-debt-10958430

So we have to wait until he's actually got some relevant figures before he makes a statement!

gillybob Sun 23-Jul-17 13:46:17

He's just the same as the rest of them . ( well maybe he's worse than most with his fairyland promises ) All hot air . Blah blah blah

Anniebach Sun 23-Jul-17 13:48:41

How many young people believed the debts would be wiped , this was just over a week before the election.

vampirequeen Sun 23-Jul-17 13:48:55

He's not in government so anything he said prior to the election is academic as he's not in a position the implement anything.

I'm more worried about what Theresa May and her government will do to education, welfare, the NHS, workers rights, human rights and a host of other laws we took for granted whilst secure in the EU. Rather than being distracted by what Corbyn might or might not have meant we should be joining forces to stop this government from implementing policies that will hurt all but the very rich.

The magic money tree exists for this government when it suits them (e.g. DUP bribe) but remember it's not a real magic tree. To find money for the things they want to do they take money away from things most of us need.

gillybob Sun 23-Jul-17 13:49:32

Oh most of them I imagine Anniebach could come back to bite him on the bum yet though .

vampirequeen Sun 23-Jul-17 13:51:18

I didn't mean my comment about the EU to reopen the remain/leave debate. I meant it in the context of the government trying to use the Henry viii rule to pick and choose which laws they keep without recourse to Parliament.

Ana Sun 23-Jul-17 13:51:59

But vampirequeen Corbyn said all that about student loans and debts immediaately before the general election - obviously aimed at attracting the youth vote.

Of course, Labour didn't win, but it's probably just as well...hmm

gillybob Sun 23-Jul-17 13:52:05

like waisting money on the ridiculous HS2 vanity project that will benefit the South ( what's new?) when we don't even have a damned dual carriageway linking The North East of England and Scotland !

gillybob Sun 23-Jul-17 13:52:44

Oops wrong thread I think ??? confused

gillybob Sun 23-Jul-17 13:53:32

It's easy to promise the world when the world is not yours to give .

Anniebach Sun 23-Jul-17 13:55:08

So anything said in the lead up to an election is acceptable Vampirequeen , if so why was Clegg vilified over his promise to abolish fees, he didn't win the election.

Anniebach Sun 23-Jul-17 13:56:28

We have a thread on the EU

devongirl Sun 23-Jul-17 14:02:36

He may not have won the election but the point is he was in government - and completely contradicted his own promises.

Anniebach Sun 23-Jul-17 14:40:29

But he was not PM was he? As in other parties , deputy means little these days, think Corbyn and his deputy Tom Watson elected by party members, it is being said Corbyn wants to make Emily Thornbury his second deputy , who has two deputies?

gillybob Sun 23-Jul-17 14:51:15

A sheriff in a Spagetti western?

Devorgilla Sun 23-Jul-17 15:12:28

Yes, gillybob, very droll. Nature of the job and all that.
We will have to wait for a Labour Government to know exactly what is meant by 'dealing with it'. Rather silly to make grand promises these days. They do come back to bite you on the bum and take a large chunk as the Libdems found to their continuing cost.

Devorgilla Sun 23-Jul-17 15:19:17

I listened to JC's interview on the Marr show where, re deselection, he said it was the choice of the people at constituency level. The word 'people' means different things in this context. It is undoubtedly the right of people in a constituency who are Labour Members to choose their next Labour candidate to stand for Parliament. But it is the 'people' of the whole constituency who decide whether they agree with that choice or not. I am at present more worried about deselection of good MPs than I am about clearing student debt. The latter is a fight for the next election/Labour Government.

trisher Sun 23-Jul-17 16:06:01

It would be very difficult to fully know what can be done about the student loans system and student debt with out having all the relevant data. It is a massive problem and at least JC is recognising this and informing everyone. The rest seem to be burying their heads in the sand and hoping it will go away. It won't. It was a badly thought out scheme in the first place and hasn't achieved what it was supposed to i.e provide the Gov with a reasonable amount of debt that they could then sell off to the highest bidder. Repayment rates are so low that the debt is now toxic. So with no-one wanting to buy it, costs and administration spiralling, repayment rates low and the real prospect that a substantial sum will never be paid back anyway there is very little choice left except wiping it out. Of course the politicians don't want to say that because you will then know what a stupid plan it was in the first place.

gillybob Sun 23-Jul-17 16:09:08

But he shouldn't have made promises to young people that he would have been unable to keep . JC now admits he didn't have a clue how much this would cost . Should we assume this was just a bit of a vote bribe ?

nightowl Sun 23-Jul-17 16:28:00

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe he made any promises about existing student debt. Since when does saying 'I will deal with it' mean 'I will write it off'. As the Labour Party didn't win the election we have no way of knowing what 'dealing with it' might have meant. Simples.