Gransnet forums

News & politics

I Will Deal With It

(711 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 23-Jul-17 13:25:07

If you have a worry/problem or are concerned about an injustice ,voice your concerns and the person you voice them to replies 'I Will Deal With It' what would you expect?

durhamjen Wed 09-Aug-17 14:51:25

'I think " I will deal with it " when said by a politician is about as vacuous a statement as " Lessons will be learnt ". '

So why all the fuss, then?
He didn't say "I will deal with it" in a vacuum. There was a lot more before that.

trisher Wed 09-Aug-17 14:55:25

It would be nice POGS if before posting comment people could actually differentiate between things.
1. The manifesto dealt with tuition fees and not with student debt
2. It was student debt that Jeremy Corbyn promised to deal with.
Having established that the 2 may be linked but are NOT the same thing brings this discussion full circle and as I am tired of trying to explain the difference, and the huge problem that student debt is now and will remain until SOMEONE) deals with it I am simply not going to explain things further. Try reading up on what is. being discussed and the whole thread and try not to simplify matters that are far more complicated and which need real attention (although God knows the government are trying their best to avoid the problem). At least Corbyn had the courage to speak about it TM and company are covering their ears and hoping the whole thing will go away. Or perhaps she thinks there is a Magic Money tree that will pay off all the outstanding debts the graduates can't.

POGS Wed 09-Aug-17 15:12:12

trisher

" Try reading up on what is. being discussed and the whole thread "

Oh believe me I have been following it from the start.

It has been interesting but turned up no surprises.

MaizieD Wed 09-Aug-17 15:21:29

Looking back to the start of this thread I note that in the July Sky News story link it was Angela Rayner, the Shadow Education Secretary, who said that there were no plans to write off existing student debt, not Corbyn. He really is being accused of going back on a promise that he never made and that he hasn't denied because he didn't make it.

In the same story it says

In a key pledge Labour promised to scrap tuition fees later this year - and Mr Corbyn also vowed to "deal with" the debts of students who have already graduated.

He told NME magazine in June he wanted to look at ways to reduce, ameliorate, lengthen the repayment period or "some other means of reducing that debt burden".

To me, this doesn't look like a promise to write off the debts, it is a 'promise' (if you want to take it as such) to look at ways of ameliorating the debt. Amelioration isn't the same as 'writing off', it just means to make a bad situation better.

I don't think the passport analogy is particularly helpful. There's only one way to renew a passport; there are several ways to ameliorate a debt. Promising to 'deal with it' just means that he intended to do something about it.

durhamjen Wed 09-Aug-17 15:48:20

Anyone who has been following the thread all the way through would have known that, Maizie - or just ignored it as it didn't fit in with his/her way of seeing things.

Anniebach Wed 09-Aug-17 17:53:09

Trisher, i read your comments on Corbyn promising 'I Will Deal With It' not as trying to explain the difference but trying to change what the people and the media believed to be true and he allowed them to believe . He never once in those ten days made one attempt to - explain the difference

POGS Wed 09-Aug-17 20:26:33

trisher

I am not sure why you bothered to inform me of something I have not posted about or even said Corbyn had said.

1). I said it was not in the Manifesto in my post .

2) I said Corbyn made the statement ' I will deal with it " in relation to 'Historic tuition fees' and that is pertaining to the 'Historic debt incurred' . The 2 are inextricably linked in my mind.

I could have used the word debt I agree but as I used the word Historic I thought that would be enough for posters to realise I was talking of ' fees/debt' under one guise.

I am well aware Corbyn also said :-

" I don’t see why those that had the historical misfortune to be at university during the £9,000 period should be burdened excessively".

So my conclusion is he was saying he ' will deal ' with those who paid tuition ' fees ' of £9.000 but not necessarily for those who paid less. That also is saying he will deal with some of the the ' ' debt ' for those who paid the £9.000 'fees' , the two are inextricably linked .

So I concur the Labour Manifesto ONLY states what will happen to 'fees ' from the time Labour would gain office. I do however maintain Corbyn was adding an aside pre General Election which he never intended to commit to but as John McDonnell said was 'only 'Aspirational'.

I was giving my opinion on the OP question which asked what would you expect if someone said " I will deal with it" and I gave my opinion which I stand by .

" It all boils down to it depending on whether or not you/we/I as individuals would say 'I will deal with it" and see that as a personal 'principal ' to abide by or say it believing it has no influence on our actions to the person we said it to."

POGS Wed 09-Aug-17 20:53:47

durhamjen

" or just ignored it as it didn't fit in with his/her way of seeing things."

'Her ' was not ignoring anything!

'Her' does not care if other posters thoughts/comments do not fit in with 'Hers'.

'Her does not require posting between only 'like minded ' people.

durhamjen Wed 09-Aug-17 22:16:51

What are you on about POGS? I was talking generally, as you would have realised by my saying anyone and his/her.
However, take it personally if you want to.

trisher Thu 10-Aug-17 20:33:01

POGS perhaps you could enlighten us on what you think should be done by someone who isn't in government and has no power . Or perhaps you could find a statement about what they will do by someone who is in power- Oh no you won't because there aren't any.
It's no good going to the caretaker and asking what he will do if your child is being bullied and then complaining that nothing changes, you need to ask the head teacher. (to use a simplification of the sort you favour)
As I have said before Corbyn at least said he would deal with it. The truth is that there is possibly very little option and the debt may have to be written off, because it is toxic and expensive to administer. Of course the gov don't want you to know that because it might lose them votes.