Gransnet forums

News & politics

TM and THAT dress

(342 Posts)
MawBroon Wed 26-Jul-17 07:02:22

OK I am being sexist, but that Next dress on the front of today's DT really got my day off to a bad start. Fair enough, her pins are pretty good, but a woman of her age does NOT IMO wear a little pink shirt dress suitable for a girl/woman less than half her age several inches above the knee.
Girlish? Yuk!
Say what you like about Michelle Obama or Sam Cam but they knew how to look elegant, whether formally dressed or smart casual.
(Brigitte Macron is another whose determination to look "young" irritates me.There is such a thing as trying TOO hard. )

Alima Wed 26-Jul-17 09:18:08

Far be it for me to criticise someone else's dress sense as I haven't got any of my own but saw several women recently looking absolutely awful. There seems to be a current trend to wear baggy trousers (culottes?) which end at just below the knee. If they didn't look bad enough the ensemble is finished off with very clumpy heeled shoes. Horrible look. Give me DMs and jeans any day.

wildswan16 Wed 26-Jul-17 09:19:00

I am just very thankful that nobody is holding a camera in my direction every time I step outside my door. How awful that must be. Leave the poor lady alone, she is on holiday and wearing a comfortable dress like most of us would do.

If somebody wrote about your choice of clothes in a public forum and said how dreadful you looked, would you not be rather hurt? I know I would.

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Jul-17 09:27:47

Agreed, wildswan. All I would say is that I've never found shirt dresses to be comfortable!

Oriel Wed 26-Jul-17 09:41:39

She's on a well-earned holiday for god's sake. Leave her alone!

Tegan2 Wed 26-Jul-17 09:44:06

I doubt if it was just a photo of the PM caught off guard on holiday. More like an arranged photo shoot meant to give out a message. The dress is ridiculously short and looks as though it should have some linen trousers or leggings with it. But then, she's lost her main advisor, hasn't she.

Anniebach Wed 26-Jul-17 09:48:34

What was the message?

Eloethan Wed 26-Jul-17 09:49:40

The Telegraph reported yesterday:

"Downing Street released pictures of the Prime Minister walking around the town of Desenzano del Garda, by Lake Garda."

So the indignation expressed at May supposedly being pursued and harassed by photographers whilst on holiday seems to be misplaced. The Telegraph's comment implies that the photos were taken by consent, and possibly arrangement.

Though I personally don't particularly like the dress, I really can't see what is wrong with it. It is the sort of casual thing that people might not wear to work but would wear on holiday.

Frankly, the dress sense of the Prime Minister or any other politician is the least of what interests me about them.

Iam64 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:10:31

Oh my, poor TheresaMay. I'll criticise all her policies, her decision making and her awful election campaign but her frock? Nope. I bought a black linen summer frock from Next for £20. Its above my knees, I'm tall so finding any short skirts that aren't above the knee is impossible.
I got a lot of wear this summer holiday. I'm so relieved I can go away and relax, rather than being judged for my ho,iday wear.

Hm999 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:11:18

I have frequently looked at her and thought she'd have benefited from someone saying 'Don't' either wear that, or that combination of clothes/ jewellery. And yes i do think the same about male politicians (my particular gripe - being interviewed with curly pointed shirt collars, I focus on their shirt not what they're saying). And yes, I do know it says a lot more about me, than it does them, except that a judgement is made within 5 seconds of meeting someone new.

Blinko Wed 26-Jul-17 10:14:29

I'm not a fan, but it does seem to me that she can't do right for doing wrong. I fear that some of the stuff I wear on hols may not do me any favours either. Hey Ho!

Jane10 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:17:43

I've seen much much worse on holiday. God knows she's not had much time for shopping around for clothes!!

nigglynellie Wed 26-Jul-17 10:19:52

Frankly I can't understand why anyone is discussing something that is absolutely nothing to do with anyone else either on here or in the wider world. What Mrs May wears on holiday is entirely up to her and not the business of anyone except her husband. Her white legs that should be sprayed? Perhaps she doesn't want to, so mind your own business, I actually thought they both looked very nice, cheerful, relaxed and more importantly happy in each others company, clearly a happy marriage. I wonder if she wears a bikini?!! Good for her if she does. Imagine the shock horror and finger wagging.

moobox Wed 26-Jul-17 10:28:12

I am just wondering what stick David would have got if he had worn socks with his sandals, despite being castigated for always being sockless on holiday

nanaK54 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:31:12

I'm not a fan of Teresa May, or the dress - but for goodness sake leave the poor woman alone.....

radicalnan Wed 26-Jul-17 10:33:48

Who cares what she wears on her holidays??? None of our business.

In fact, we shouldn't know what she wears off duty, we have become a nation of judgemental snoopers.

icanhandthemback Wed 26-Jul-17 10:34:49

What gives anybody the right to criticise what others wear? If she is happy with what she looks like, who are we to determine if she is right or wrong with her dress sense? Criticise her politics by all means but all this rubbish about dress sense, personalities, etc with our politicians is demeaning to the commentator.

CleopatraSoup Wed 26-Jul-17 10:37:11

So everyone's talking about her frock and some staged photographs NOT her dismal policies, bribing the DUP and her constant U-turns.

Smileless2012 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:41:24

Well yes, because this thread is about 'TM and that dress'.

jefm Wed 26-Jul-17 10:49:54

I am 66.....I have a blue linen dress like that with sleeves...M&S actually- Please leave her alone, its cool and suitable for summer....

harrysgran Wed 26-Jul-17 10:50:15

She is on holiday it looks nice and cool she has a slim figure maybe could have been an inch longer but I wouldn't let it upset my daysmile

Margs Wed 26-Jul-17 10:51:08

As has been rightly pointed out, Mrs May IS on holiday and therefore dressed accordingly.

She always looks fine and businesslike when she is 'on the job' and is an example to some of her Cabinet and definitely a number of her back-benchers who look like badly stuffed sofas, squashed into ill-fitting suits (and often the same one!) day after day after day.....

And what about the Speakers recent directive that it's OK for MP's to NOT wear a tie if they don't really want to? What next? Imagine the uproar if Mrs M trotted into the House attired like those sloppy Pyjama-wearing school-run mums!

MaizieD Wed 26-Jul-17 10:54:09

I rather like the colour; it could be about 4 inches longer to look much nicer and a tan means you've been burning yourself.

She wanted it to be talked about else she wouldn't have let it be released (or even taken). She must have been well aware that there'd be lots of bitching about her dress sense.

Politicians have been doing this for years and years and years; remember Harold Wilson strolling in the Scilly Isles with his Mary?

Smileless2012 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:54:22

Just think Margs is she did, she might be asked to take part in that current car ad on tvgrin

sarahellenwhitney Wed 26-Jul-17 10:54:34

Look around there is worse. I live coastal in which we call this time of year the silly season.
Mature women in shorts, only appropriate for a svelte frame, sleeveless tee shirts showing wings a 'bat' would be envious of.
Hey Ho,grinwhat ever, and as the saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

gillybob Wed 26-Jul-17 10:57:09

The dress is ridiculously short and looks as though it should have some linen trousers or leggings with it

I disagree Tegan I have a very similar dress and with my fabulous legs I can't see a problem.