Gransnet forums

News & politics

How to lose your staff in 4 easy lessons when you are the Brexit secretary

(89 Posts)
whitewave Mon 18-Sep-17 14:14:01

So Davis has PST a permanent secretary, special advisor and two ministers in a matter of months.

There is huge tension between May and Johnson, May and Davis, and Fox has difficulty in justifying his existence.

All this power struggle and fiddling carrying on whilst Brexit burns and the country is left to run itself.

petra Fri 22-Sep-17 17:59:54

lemongrove
It puts a smile on my face to know that people are that angry and there's jack shit they can do grin

whitewave Fri 22-Sep-17 18:01:28

hmm

durhamjen Fri 22-Sep-17 18:06:43

Can't wait for the next vote, whether parliamentary or referendum.

MaizieD Fri 22-Sep-17 21:50:46

^lemongrove
It puts a smile on my face to know that people are that angry and there's jack shit they can do^

Speaks volumes for the kind of person you are, too, petra

petra Fri 22-Sep-17 22:21:10

MaizieD
I take it 'the speech' didn't cheer you up, then ?
To be fair, there were a few crumbs for the remainers grin

MaizieD Fri 22-Sep-17 23:53:00

The Speech has left me curiously unmoved, Petra.

Apart from begging for another two years grace it tells us nothing. It particularly doesn't tell us what sort of 'Brexit' there will be at the end of it.

durhamjen Fri 22-Sep-17 23:56:44

There won't be one, Maizie.
She doesn't know how to get out of the dilemma, and nobody wants to take the job over from her, not even Boris.

She will give us another referendum in 2019, and we will vote to stay in.
Like David Davis said, that's democracy.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 11:43:54

Do you want a laugh?

evolvepolitics.com/tory-glastonbury-was-an-utterly-shambolic-fail-and-the-pictures-of-the-event-may-make-you-die-cringing/

JessM Sat 23-Sep-17 17:52:32

In the Reading Festival there were apparently regular, spontaneous outbursts of chanting "Oh! Jeremy Corbyn" . The Tories have a rapidly ageing and steadily dwindling membership. There was some reprehensible behaviour towards young activists in the 2015 campaign (remember the young man who committed suicide - allegedly as a result of bullying).
DH was on a desperately crowded rush hour train out of Cambridge yesterday. It sounds quite entertaining. There were a lot of people talking about the shocking overcrowding on their commute, and bemoaning the incompetence of the Tories in managing anything. And the star act was apparently Edwin from Monserrat (a long-dreadlocked 50 or 60 something) who was unable to push the refreshment trolley through the throng so treated everyone to his life story instead, in an epic W Indian accent. Made up for not getting a seat.

whitewave Sat 23-Sep-17 18:02:11

Brighton is singing "oh Jeremy Corbyn " at the moment grin it is a joy to behold.

He was at the centre my friend works at volunteering doing refugee lunches etc.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 23:54:35

Just been reading an article about which groups vote for Labour.
Only 26% of over 65s say they will.
63% of 18-34 year olds.

It makes you wonder where Labour would be now if it wasn't for Momentum.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 23:58:21

Not getting a seat on a train, JessM? How unusual. I thought there were always lots of seats to be had; you just had to look for them.

durhamjen Mon 25-Sep-17 10:29:12

Not just staff at the top leaving.

"Oliver Robbins, the onetime top official at Britain’s Department for Exiting the European Union, is just the tip of the iceberg of the exodus of officials from the government body created to handle the brunt of divorce.

The department’s only been around for 14 months. Besides Robbins, 124 employees have left and 482 remain, according to the government’s reply to a freedom of information request from Bloomberg. That’s a high turnover that suggests civil servants don’t enjoy working in the department focused on one of the biggest political challenges in decades.

DExEU countered that fewer then five of those officials had left the civil service altogether -- which in turn could be an indication that civil servants could also be passing through to rack up experience and gain rapid promotion elsewhere."