Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why are we leaving?

(390 Posts)
yggdrasil Thu 05-Oct-17 08:49:38

This vid says a lot. Especially why the EU finds our government's attitude so incomprehensible

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgu6pFz5oxA

(it is about 8 mins long)

durhamjen Wed 11-Oct-17 23:06:40

news.huffingtonpost.com/t/t-l-khtljty-bdttdydit-j/

The Home Office can't cope with Brexit.

durhamjen Wed 11-Oct-17 23:10:11

Brexiteers don't believe that, Maizie. They still think we own Calais.

durhamjen Wed 11-Oct-17 23:12:33

Actually, we lost it in 1558. Do you think that the French will wait until 2019, or hand us back our border next year, 460 years anniversary?

JessM Thu 12-Oct-17 17:08:27

Yes it was very unfortunate MaizieD and didn't Farage jump straight in and make hay with it. That Poster!! Cameron could have waited. One mistake amongst so many that he made. Of course we have not been swamped with refugees because Cameron meanly restricted intake to 20k over 5 years. It is a tiny trickle. We have 2 families in a whole county. One more young family arriving from camp in Lebanon next week.

varian Fri 13-Oct-17 17:17:43

The Brexit impact reports, which we British taxpayers have paid for, MUST be published.

You have to ask, if the government will not tell the voters the truth, what are they afraid of ? - and what are they hiding? - and why?

The reason we are in this mess is because of ignorance. Isn't it is time we were told what we could be letting ourselves in for?

It is not too late. Legal opinion is that Article 50 can be revoked at any time within the two year period.

If these reports alter the public opinion, then the electorate should be allowed to speak again.

nigglynellie Fri 13-Oct-17 17:42:09

Brexiteers still think we own Calais?!!! What silly coment! I would suggest that many on both sides are unaware that we owned Calais in the first place, and I think as many,or few, on both sides are equally aware that the loss caused Calais to be written on Mary Tudors heart!

MaizieD Fri 13-Oct-17 18:02:36

I wonder if they'll find 'Brexit' engraved on Theresa May's...

nigglynellie Fri 13-Oct-17 18:18:49

Probably!!!!

petra Fri 13-Oct-17 19:36:44

Who would want to own Calais, it's a dump. Only good thing is the port, to get you into Europe, and the lovely hyper markets

JessM Sat 14-Oct-17 10:44:49

LOL, like "we owned" most of France, and "owned" most of the USA?

durhamjen Sat 14-Oct-17 13:00:15

I recall quite a few brexiteers saying that the border posts should remain in Calais. I think you were one of them, petra.

petra Sat 14-Oct-17 13:06:15

durhamjen
What on earth have my views on Calais got to do with my views on where the border should be ?

durhamjen Sat 14-Oct-17 14:47:21

Hammond is such an idiot, isn't he?
How can the EU take him seriously when he says we are united at home? Unlike 'the enemy', of course.

Welshwife Sat 14-Oct-17 18:59:25

The centre of Calais used to be very nice with lovely gardens etc - have not been into it for a long time now though.