Gransnet forums

News & politics

Laura Plummer jailed

(83 Posts)
Nelliemoser Tue 26-Dec-17 17:45:40

Ok to liven up post Christmas.
What do you think about this woman being jailed, was she naive?

It is illegal to buy prescription-only drugs without a prescription or consultation in the UK, whether on or offline. This law currently does not apply to websites based abroad *as long as you're buying for personal use .
29 Sep 2015*
She has said she was buying them for her boyfriends use.

This nasty opiate is the recreation drug of choice in Egypt.

Buying prescription drugs online - The Mix
www.themix.org.uk/drink-and...and...law/buying-prescription-drugs-online-9592.html

Jane10 Tue 26-Dec-17 17:53:20

She had 300! It's prescription only here for good reason. I think she was well aware of what she was doing.

Elegran Tue 26-Dec-17 17:54:43

Surely he is capable of organising his own painkillers? If she was taking Tramadol to him because he can't get them in Egypt for himself without a prescription, didn't she wonder why that was? Both why they are only available on prescription, and why if he needs them he isn't getting them prescribed for himself.

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 17:57:45

agreed, 300 is clearlynot for personal use sad

Jane10 Tue 26-Dec-17 18:14:16

DD was discharged from hospital after a C section with 5 Tramadol!
I had 3 after my total knee replacement. Doctors are extremely cagey about prescribing them.
Mind you I hated the effect they had and can't understand why anyone would want to take them recreationally.

Iam64 Tue 26-Dec-17 18:26:48

Tramadol is one of the prescription drugs that drug users and addicts buy or trade in. It's a heavy duty pain killer, prescribed with care by medics. It's her boy friend's responsibility to get effective pain relief for his 'back pain', not hers to smuggle a drug that's banned in the country she was travelling to. I find it difficult to believe this young woman was so naive as not to realise she was playing with fire by taking over 300 of the nasty drugs into Egypt.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Dec-17 18:44:40

Blimey the doctor wouldn’t even give me ONE Valium for a visit to the dentist
I don’t believe she was naive I think she knew what she was doing and never thought she’d be caught

Blinko Tue 26-Dec-17 18:44:44

And who is to say that the back pain is genuine? It may or may not be. He could be using her affections to gain access to an illegal drug to sell on.

Sadly she doesn't seem to be a very sensible young woman.

Jayh Tue 26-Dec-17 19:54:24

The Egyptian boyfriend must know that these painkillers are banned in Egypt. Did this woman not ask why he couldn’t get an effective painkiller legally? Love is indeed blind.

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 20:40:23

Tramadol is not 'just a painkiller' - they are opiates and highly addictive.

glammanana Tue 26-Dec-17 20:59:09

How stupid could she be not asking why the boyfriend could not obtain these drugs via his own Doctor and also reading the list of banned substances not allowed into the Country before she travelled she deserves all she gets ,and how has she passed through our customs with them I thought all medication had to be in a transparent bag when you go through customs check,maybe she had them in luggage stored in the hold.

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 21:00:32

Anyone caught with 300 Tramadol in the streets of UK would be in big trouble too - a form of morphine.

Cold Tue 26-Dec-17 21:04:22

I don't understand how she managed to get almost 300 prescription-only opiate painkillers?

Did she buy them on the blackmarket in the UK from a drug dealer? Did she fake symptoms to get them on the NHS? No reputable doctor would just hand these out for a boyfriend that didn't even live in the UK and had not been examined.

Surely her boyfriend would have known they were illegal? Didn't she question why he couldn't get them from his own doctor and needed her to smuggle them in?

Elegran Tue 26-Dec-17 21:10:02

She must have bought them online. Nelliemoser's original post includes the words "It is illegal to buy prescription-only drugs without a prescription or consultation in the UK, whether on or offline. This law currently does not apply to websites based abroad as long as you're buying for personal use. 29 Sep 2015* "

Cold Tue 26-Dec-17 21:22:45

Actually I've just been reading the account of her trial and she didn't buy it online from abroad - she claims a "friend" gave it to her.
www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/26/laura-plummer-jailed-for-three-years-for-smuggling-drugs-into-egypt

So probably the NHS paid for this medication that someone had stockpiled

Jane10 Tue 26-Dec-17 21:35:23

Blimey this 'friend' must have been stockpiling for decades given how doctors are so stingy with prescribing these opiates - and rightly so.
Her story just doesn't hold up.

NanKate Tue 26-Dec-17 22:19:39

Why do these naive or besotted girls get tricked by their boyfriends to purchase drugs for them? I bet he is not about when she come out of prison in 3 years.

Elrel Tue 26-Dec-17 22:48:57

If someone is on max dose the amount she had appears to be a month’s supply.
But who knows?

Cold Tue 26-Dec-17 23:15:28

If someone is on max dose the amount she had appears to be a month’s supply. But who knows?

Well when I was on the max dose of tramadol I only took 2 tablets per day (2 x 200mg) - so that would be 145 days. but the max dose is usually only prescribed for severe post surgical pain and then you reduce dosage for chronic pain. Turned out I couldn't tolerate them

I'm not sure they have ever said which strength tablets she had?

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Dec-17 23:20:46

I'm not very clear about the facts of this case: there are different strengths of Tramadol so what strength were the ones she was carrying? It says in one report that he is her husband, not boyfriend, apparently they needed a 'marriage certificate' to be able to share a bedroom in Egypt.

Is this drug prescribed in Egypt or is it banned completely? If it can be prescribed then why did he not obtain sufficient for his needs on prescription?
How did she get hold of them?

I was prescribed them when I left hospital after surgery, I am sure there were quite a few in the packet but I can't remember what strength. However, I didn't like the effect they had and they didn't seem to dull the pain so I returned them to the chemist.

What happens to all the returned packets of drugs ? - do the chemists themselves destroy them, or return them to the NHS?

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Dec-17 23:23:42

She either knew exactly what she was doing - perhaps this was to fund her trip? or she is completely naive and quite stupid.

What happened to the British grandmother held in a Bali prison on death row for drug smuggling? Lindsey Sandiford?

Hilltopgran Wed 27-Dec-17 01:01:43

Have to say, I found it difficult to understand how she could get prescription only drugs for someone not even resident in this country. I also find it difficult to believe that if she is a frequent visitor to Eqypt she was not aware that the tablets were illegal. I feel sympathy for her imprisoned in a cell in the heat a long way from home, but I hope it serves as a warning to others travelling abroad, check the rules of the country you are visiting.
I think the family going on the news saying it was a kind act and she should not be punished, is difficult to agree with. People travelling to other countries should respect the laws of that country, as we hope people visiting this country will do.
As I take prescription drugs, I always have a signed Drs note that they are drugs prescribed for my health with me and would recommend anyone travelling to do the same, plus a copy of the prescription.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 27-Dec-17 01:44:34

I think she knew it was illegal to get hold of the medication in the UK and that it was illegal to take the medication to her husband in Egypt. However, I don't think she thought she was doing anything that could get her into serious trouble. I don't know if I would call her niave, I would probably call her foolish. Bordering on plain stupid.

Anniebach Wed 27-Dec-17 04:33:55

Though it was said on the news she is 33 years old, hardly a naive young girl if so.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Dec-17 04:49:43

I don’t see her as naive at all she would have had to be quite devious to obtain 300 tramadol, I wouldn’t know where to start to get 10, I would have thought internet was her only real way to get so many or to buy off drug dealers or maybe she is a ‘user’ herself and has a supplier
Anyone with a quarter of a brain knows you don’t take drugs into another country she’s not a child she took the chance and is paying the price 3 years is not a lifetime let’s hope she learns from the experience
I believe the grandmother is still in prison, another I don’t feel sorry for people need to be more law abiding