Gransnet forums

News & politics

Laura Plummer jailed

(84 Posts)
Nelliemoser Tue 26-Dec-17 17:45:40

Ok to liven up post Christmas.
What do you think about this woman being jailed, was she naive?

It is illegal to buy prescription-only drugs without a prescription or consultation in the UK, whether on or offline. This law currently does not apply to websites based abroad *as long as you're buying for personal use .
29 Sep 2015*
She has said she was buying them for her boyfriends use.

This nasty opiate is the recreation drug of choice in Egypt.

Buying prescription drugs online - The Mix
www.themix.org.uk/drink-and...and...law/buying-prescription-drugs-online-9592.html

Anniebach Wed 27-Dec-17 05:02:25

Good grief what has her grandmother done?

BlueBelle Wed 27-Dec-17 05:11:43

Not her grandmother anniebach ? Lindsey sandiford the grandmother on death row for drug smuggling Jalima asked a couple of posts back
Supporters of Lyndsey sandiford have a fb page and her latest contribution is this
Dear Friends and supporters
Thank you to everyone for your kind wishes for my 61st birthday last weekend. I had a thoroughly enjoyable day with visits from some dear friends, a delicious cake, and messages from my family and supporters from around the world I was immensely touched by all your warm thoughts, and I would like to add a heartfelt thank-you to the wonderful governor at the women’s prison here, for making the small celebration possible.
I would like you all to know that I am keeping well and continuing to work and teach other women on various handicrafts.
In the meantime, keep me in your thoughts and thank you all again for your friendship and support.
Warm regards
Lindsay

Not pleasant to be on death row but she doesn’t sound as if she is being treated badly

Baggs Wed 27-Dec-17 06:08:24

I think pharmacists have to destroy drugs that are returned to them because there is no way (or if there is a way it's too expensive to be cost effective) of ascertaining if there has been contamination. They can't take the risk of giving them to someone else.

NfkDumpling Wed 27-Dec-17 07:14:54

I think Laura was fortunate to only be given three years.

And I do feel for anyone on death row. In effect it seems to mean you're never going to get out and if you don't behave you'll die.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Dec-17 07:20:51

I agree totally Nfkdumpling I am vehemently against the death penalty and all the more reason to not carry drugs to any country let alone one that has the death penalty still in place
I think Laura is one lucky lady to only get three years

BlueBelle Wed 27-Dec-17 07:43:50

They have just given a VERY biased report on Sky news stating that she had been jailed for taking prescription drugs into Egypt where they are illegal whilst they are perfectly legal in this country No mention of the amount, making it sound as if she was being wrongly jailed and was the victim

Anniebach Wed 27-Dec-17 09:11:42

Thank you BlueBell, silly me ?

Cold Wed 27-Dec-17 09:41:56

What he press in the UK have not pointed out is that possessing these drugs without them being prescribed to you is an imprisonable offence even in the UK. It is illegal to give-away or sell these drugs. Tramadol is a class C drug:
- you can be sentenced to up to 2 years for possession.
- If you are caught supplying/dealing Tramadol you can be sentenced to up to 14 years.

When you read about the "opiate drug crisis" this is what they mean - drug dealers dealing in pain killers.

jura2 Wed 27-Dec-17 09:49:24

Exactly, I do hope there will be a thorough investigation as to how she was able to get 300 of them in the first place.

jura2 Wed 27-Dec-17 09:50:32

If an Egyptian came here and was caught with selling 300 Tramadols in the streets- how many years would he get?

PamelaJ1 Wed 27-Dec-17 09:56:48

I’m relieved to find myself in agreement with all of you.
I thought I was being a little mean spirited to think she knew what she was doing.
It’s bad enough to break the law in this country where, whatever you may think of our police force and regime, you stand a pretty good chance of justice being done.
What are these people thinking. It beggars belief that they haven’t got the message that other countries don’t behave like us.

Luckygirl Wed 27-Dec-17 10:04:14

It is bizarre - she is being presented as a naive young woman, but at the age of 33 I would have thought she knew that getting prescription controlled tablets "from a friend" and taking the vast amount of 300 with her was foolhardy to say the least. The chances that she really thought her BF would need 300 are vanishingly small; and her source sounds somewhat dubious. I would have no idea whatever where to get hold of 300 controlled drugs - the fact that she did know rings alarm bells.

Sadly she will have to take the consequences of her actions.

Cold Wed 27-Dec-17 10:13:12

I saw this article that explains how she got them. They were prescribed to a friend who gave (perhaps sold them) to her. The family are angry that the friend won't come forward - but I suppose they don't want to incriminate themself and risk going to court, as what they did - selling/giving away - controlled drugs is illegal in the UK
www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/family-laura-plummer-say-selfish-758807

Cold Wed 27-Dec-17 10:13:18

I saw this article that explains how she got them. They were prescribed to a friend who gave (perhaps sold them) to her. The family are angry that the friend won't come forward - but I suppose they don't want to incriminate themself and risk going to court, as what they did - selling/giving away - controlled drugs is illegal in the UK
www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/family-laura-plummer-say-selfish-758807

jura2 Wed 27-Dec-17 10:42:33

Any comments on this one:

If an Egyptian came here and was caught with selling 300 Tramadols in the streets- how many years would he get?

Eglantine21 Wed 27-Dec-17 10:45:04

That amount of Tramodol would never be "prescribed" And anyway it doesn't alter her crime.

Elegran Wed 27-Dec-17 10:55:23

Why did the friend have 300 strong painkilling tablets but needed them so little that they could be "given away". - 300 opiate tablets, when the dosage is a couple of tablets a day and they are so addictive that they are only prescribed a few at a time.

Is this friend worth doing three years in an Egyptian jail for? "the friend won't come forward" - but if she named the friend, the friend would HAVE to come forward and face the music.

Is it perhaps a friend of the boyfriend?
Is she afraid to name him/her?
Was she told that if they were found she was on her own?

More questions arise all the time.

Christinefrance Wed 27-Dec-17 10:56:59

Of course the 'friend' won't come forward and in any case it was Plummer who smuggled them in. Why do people think the laws of another country do not apply to them. We see it often in France usually British people. I agree with other posters she can hardly play the naive young girl at 33. Another woman being conned by a so called boyfriend.

Elegran Wed 27-Dec-17 10:58:57

Cold To misquote Mandy Rice Davies commenting on another doubtful statement, "Well, she would say that, wouldn't she?"

vampirequeen Wed 27-Dec-17 11:10:52

DH is on Tramadol for chronic back pain. His instructions are to take them as little as possible i.e. only when the pain is uncontrollable by other meds or/and unbearable. He only receives 30 tablets at a time. His GP monitors his usage and queries any times there seems too short a time between prescription requests. I can't see this only being the policy of his GP so something dodgy must have gone on for this woman to get 300.

She must have know that prescription only meds are controlled drugs in the UK and therefore likely to be controlled in other countries. Tramadol is banned in Egypt but other equally effective painkillers are available. It begs the question...does the boyfriend (who has been notable by his absence in the media) really have a bad back or was he simply after the Tramadol for other purposes.

The media is treating her as if she's innocent and some evil foreign regime has set her up and is now treating her abhorrently. However she committed a crime and therefore is a criminal being held in Egypt in the same conditions as other criminals in that country. Their prisons may not meet our standards but that's not our problem and/or a reason to criticise Egypt.

ffinnochio Wed 27-Dec-17 11:35:18

Set up by the boyfriend and his “friend” to act as a mule, I expect. Silly girl.

As an aside, I am having to jump through hoops to get more than a months supply of some prescribed medicine to take to the uk when I leave France, to tide me over before signing up with a new Doc. Specific forms and letters for all interested parties, including customs. ? The medicine is specific to women, so hardly think it would interest the drug pushers ?

Jane10 Wed 27-Dec-17 11:37:30

Looks like we're all agreed! What a rarity on GN smile

jura2 Wed 27-Dec-17 11:39:20

Indeed x

vampirequeen Wed 27-Dec-17 11:45:41

Yay grin

OldMeg Wed 27-Dec-17 12:18:11

Come on. Regular trips to Egypt. Caught smuggling drugs. Naive or a drug smuggler.