New .years .Honours

(141 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 29-Dec-17 22:50:30

Darcy Bussell. A Dame

Ringo Star. Sir

Barry Gibb. Sir

Nick Clegg. Lord

sunseeker Sat 30-Dec-17 10:14:44

dj Many people are put forward for awards and denied. George "Johnny" Johnson, the last surviving dam buster was put forward last year and it was denied. It was only after a public outcry and petition that he was eventually awarded an MBE in November. Apparently the fire officer heroes of Grenfell and the police involved in terrorist attacks are going to be honoured "later" - why not now?

Anniebach Sat 30-Dec-17 10:20:40

Seems it takes time to gather all details, to hand out the same award to a police officer who stopped traffic and a police officer who faced a gunman wouldn't be fair surely?

And what of police officers around the country who save lives ?

maddyone Sat 30-Dec-17 10:37:54

Authors, however successful or famous, do not deserve 'honours' durhamjen in my opinion. That is because, in my opinion, nobody deserves these outdated 'honours' however well they have performed their job, or however talented they may be. It may be that individual institutions would wish to recognise outstanding bravery or service, that would be acceptable in my opinion. But the honours system as it is now, is a absolute disgrace, and an affront to anyone who believes in a meritocracy.

henetha Sat 30-Dec-17 11:37:23

The great majority of people on the honours list are not well known at all, but are recognised for their services to the community. Which is as it should be.

durhamjen Sat 30-Dec-17 12:03:32

Have you looked at your local news to find out who has been given one in your local area?
Lots listed in my local paper for services to the community and voluntary services, CAB, charities, etc.
There's a 93 year old who worked at Bletchley Park during the war, but got his honour for charity work.

If any authors should get an award, it should be Michael Morpurgo, for his work in bringing literature to schools.
He has given his whole archive to Seven Stories.

I disagree with the whole idea of honours, particularly as they perpetuate the idea of empire. However, IF there are people who get them, it should be people who give to society, and Morpurgo definitely does that.

durhamjen Sat 30-Dec-17 12:06:20

I don't know who said it, but if Darcy Bussell hadn't 'dumbed down' most people wouldn't have heard of her!

Caledonai14 Sat 30-Dec-17 12:09:32

We had severe flooding in this area a couple of years back and awards were given by the local community to many adults and children who helped others in the emergency. It was a good idea and has morphed into annual recognition for volunteers locally. The problem is that, at the height of the emergency and in the long, slow aftermath, I know of many people who simply went and did what they could - whether it was housing a neighbour for weeks after that person lost everything... or going around tidying up people's gardens and making things safe for all. It's a lottery about who gets noticed and appreciated and the quiet, unsung heroes are least likely to complain about being missed out of the awards, but it must hurt a wee bit.

grannyactivist Sat 30-Dec-17 12:11:24

On three occasions that I know of (there may have been others) my father-in-law has been nominated for an honour for his voluntary work with carers. He has directly influenced the way carers are included by professional staff working with people who are mentally ill, young carers and carers of dementia sufferers; his work is of national significance. This year his family were delighted when he was honoured by the Royal College of Psychiatrists and his work given the public recognition it deserves. Fortunately he's a very modest man and has no idea that his name was ever put forward for anything else.

lemongrove Sat 30-Dec-17 12:16:05

I see I have been overlooked again in the NY honours list.tchgrin
Have always thought the whole thing a ‘daftness’ tbh.

allule Sat 30-Dec-17 12:18:01

I think the worst part is politicians who cannot get elected to House of Commons being sent to the Lords for political purposes....they actually have some power, quite undemocratically.
The knights and dames just make me think of pantomime. I'd like a list of refuseniks, too!

KatyK Sat 30-Dec-17 12:22:02

I consider myself the world's most avid Beatles fan grin but I am struggling to understand why Ringo has got this gong. I kind of get it with Sir Paul. The songs he wrote or co-wrote have given so much pleasure to so many people. But Ringo? Maybe they give a lot of money to charity but why wouldn't they when they have millions. I agree with the posts above about so many unsung heroes.

anitamp1 Sat 30-Dec-17 12:23:27

Difficult issue. Someone on tv didn't think pop stars should get these awards. But if music stars can't have them, then why should actors get them? Or authors? And most of us don't think politicians should get them, unless they have done something really impressive for the country. So that really just leaves charity workers, who are the people who really deserve acknowledgement. So maybe they are the only people who should get them. But there are many celebrities who quietly do charity work. So I'm going round in circles here!

lemongrove Sat 30-Dec-17 12:26:22

Better by far that nobody gets them, and the whole shebang quietly dismantled.

durhamjen Sat 30-Dec-17 12:28:15

Danny Boyle refused a knighthood a few years ago.
By the way, did anybody watch his Alternativity from Bethlehem?

Anniebach Sat 30-Dec-17 12:47:02

I am not against these honours, the recipients don't receive money . Seems Ringo Starr does a lot of work for AIDS charities and something to do with mines .

Complaints about firemen who were at Grenfel Tower fire is a little unfair, a fireman who enters a burning house is as brave, I know firemen who entered a burning house and saved three children, they are equally as brave, just didn't make the headlines . What difference a fireman who saves lives in north England, Scotland, Wales, to firemen in London?

durhamjen Sat 30-Dec-17 12:49:50

Two firemen received awards in the North East, as did two policemen.
They can receive the same award as others, or a special police or fire award.

adaunas Sat 30-Dec-17 12:53:37

Barry Gibb and Ringo Starr— awarded for outliving the rest of their groups. Darcey Bussell- well I always wanted to be her when I was younger so I’ll have the award by proxy.

BlueBelle Sat 30-Dec-17 12:54:25

Totally agree Lemongrove the whole lot should go it’s unfair to single some out and not others even in the hero area

Anniebach Sat 30-Dec-17 12:54:51

There are police bravery awards , my husband received three recomendations , long time ago.

Teddy123 Sat 30-Dec-17 12:57:47

Darcy ..... Yes fine on the basis of her contribution to classical ballet.

The Honours have been dumbed down for many years.
Pop stars & knighthoods .....
C R A Z Y !!!!!

Anniebach Sat 30-Dec-17 13:02:45

Why only classical ballet?

Minerva Sat 30-Dec-17 13:08:17

I dislike the whole anachronistic and cronyism business but my father was put forward for just doing his job as the citation read, but also for his behind the scenes tireless work for charity. Who knew until George Michael died how much good work for charities he did. We can’t presume that all Ringo did was bang drums and read children’s books or that Darcey Bushell just danced. We don’t know what other factors may have resulted in the honour,
But I would still like the whole silly business scrapped.

Mouse Sat 30-Dec-17 13:09:57

It said on the news that they are looking at people involved in Grenfell Tower, Manchester and London tragedies for next year. These things are decided a long time in advance.

Alidoll Sat 30-Dec-17 13:24:41

Missed off the list again. Honestly, this is getting beyond a joke.

(goes off to learn how to ballet dance, sing and write children’s fiction just to be on the safe side)

Barmeyoldbat Sat 30-Dec-17 13:25:28

Agree that the Honours list has been dumbed down. Let’s just get rid of it.