Gransnet forums

News & politics

confused about 'Love'

(61 Posts)
annab275 Sat 10-Feb-18 13:08:39

My Oh and I live in the North West and he has just come back from shopping with a tale about someone getting upset as he called her 'Love'. He was trying to get to the yoghurts and a trolley was in his way, so he said 'sorry love' and moved the trolley as he thought it was hers. Actually it wasn't. So she turns to him and gives him a right earful about being sexist. He says 'Pardon?" not quite understanding what she is on about. Personally I have no problem with anyone calling me love. How about you?

MrsEggy Tue 13-Feb-18 17:16:49

Here in the Black Country everyone is "me lover", male and female, black or white! Political correctness not arrived yet.

POGS Tue 13-Feb-18 20:02:05

"Perhaps it's acceptable in the north!"

Good grief where on earth do some people live if they don't know colloquial speak is used everywhere.

It is acceptable or not to the individual, nothing to with where we live. Speaking as a individual from Somerset , now living in the Midlands I don't give a hoot if and when I am addressed as love, dear etc. I like it actually.

lizzypopbottle Tue 13-Feb-18 21:02:25

Pet, Hen, Hinnie, here in the frozen North East. No objections from me because people are simply being friendly and, I truly believe, respectful when they use these terms. It was 'me duck' when I lived in Derby.

Chewbacca Tue 13-Feb-18 21:11:02

What a miserable, colourless and dowdy world it will be when the PC brigade have successfully eliminated general terms of greetings and endearment to each other. No more "cock sparrers"; hen; duck; love; chuck; pet etc. Wonder what they'll find to be offended about then?

Baggs Tue 13-Feb-18 21:16:34

You can't live in the north-west and object to people saying Sorry, luv!

Day6 Tue 13-Feb-18 21:26:42

M'love is a common term of endearment in these parts. And m'duck. 'Pet' which is more north eastern has even crept in, as has bab, which is more Brummie/Midlands.

My Mum called most people darling. I use that a lot too. I love warm greetings. I am not offended at all by them.

Baggs Tue 13-Feb-18 21:41:10

Even better, indeispensable, might be: "Yer what, luv?" in response to such silly tosh.

Tea and cake Wed 14-Feb-18 09:40:17

Bab is used quite a lot here. A young lad called me it once. I wasn't the least bit offended!

prestbury Thu 22-Feb-18 22:44:50

I think it would only be 'gender neutral if men called other men 'love',

In my previous line of work as an engineer, this was a term used by another engineer to males or females and nobody took offense.

I tend to think that in some area's of the country people can become offended by the most simplistic friendly statement.

prestbury Thu 22-Feb-18 22:51:23

I should add that in a local pub the other day the landlady called everybody, young or old, gorgeous a term I have never heard in the area, although to be fair the landlady is fairly new and from down south so it may be something imported into the dark north.