Gransnet forums

News & politics

If a 'Salisbury' type incident occurs after Brexit....

(87 Posts)
M0nica Mon 26-Mar-18 18:29:09

....will EU countries be as willing to support us as they have today, most of them expelling Russian 'diplomats'?

I know NATO countries are supporting us and the US, but to know that the EU is acting so fast to support a fellow member when under threat is something we may be without if it happens again.

Anniel Tue 27-Mar-18 13:27:25

I note that Eire did not support us by expelling any diplomats! They only seem interested in stirring up problems re the border. Strange how Switzerland manages outside the EU witjout border problems. I am entirely sanguine about our future outside the EU. I want to be friends with all countries in the EU. I simply csnnot tolerate Junker and Barnier dictating to us.

winterwhite Tue 27-Mar-18 15:33:03

Agree with PaddyAnn re danger of anti-Russia mania.

BRedhead59 Tue 27-Mar-18 16:25:17

We are stronger in all circumstances within rather than out.

Luckygirl Tue 27-Mar-18 17:28:36

I can't see why Brexit would make any difference. I think they individual countries will indeed back us in this sort of situation. It is in their interests too.

Doversole Tue 27-Mar-18 17:36:33

I don't think Brexit makes any difference to what will happen in a similar circumstance in the future.

One of the reporters today suggested Putin was testing the resilience of the western alliance (and misjudged things) by deliberately attacking the UK, which has a PM in a weak political position, and is a country in the process of leaving the EU. The response he got underlines that the alliance is pretty intact.
The next move is Mr Putin's.

jimmyRFU Tue 27-Mar-18 17:42:50

As someone else said we are leaving the EU not Europe.

If we support them why should they not support us,

maryeliza54 Tue 27-Mar-18 18:47:22

Anniel Ireland is to expel a Russian diplomat. I think your comment about them only wanting to stir up problems about the border is very unfair and inaccurate- do you know anything about Irish history? As for your comments on Switzerland it is part of the Schengen Area which allows free movement of people without passport controls

maddyone Tue 27-Mar-18 19:25:51

Do you ever make a kind or friendly response on Gransnet ME?

DeeWBW Tue 27-Mar-18 19:47:22

I wouldn't be surprised if the immediate offer of help was to try to make the UK think 'should we stay or should we go?' Bearing in mind their regular bully boy tactics, I think we can see why the support came so quickly.

varian Tue 27-Mar-18 20:27:30

The "bully boys" are the brexiteers . I for one do not want to be bullied into leaving the EU which has given us so much help and support.

maryeliza54 Tue 27-Mar-18 20:49:45

Maddy do you ever make a well informed one? The comment about Ireland was false and out of order - why should it elicit a kind response?

maddyone Tue 27-Mar-18 21:39:20

ME
I haven’t made a comment about Ireland on this thread or indeed on any other thread, but unfortunately you come across as arrogant and patronising on pretty well every thread, including this one. You make it very clear that you consider your knowledge and opinions to be superior to those of other posters. Your post directed to me is a case in point. Unfortunately for you, you are wrong. As I said in my first sentence I haven’t expressed any opinion, informed or otherwise, on Ireland.
I suggest you calm down and try to engage with other posters with a more pleasant manner.

grannypauline Tue 27-Mar-18 22:23:03

Yes, and where's the PROOF that the Russian government ordered the attack?? Even Porton Down was unable to definitely point the finger.

Here we go again making warlike noises with minimal or no proof! Jolly good for the armaments industry; and, together with Brexit, a marvellous diversion from all those troubles with the NHS, homeless, etc!

Day6 Tue 27-Mar-18 22:31:36

We will still be Europeans when we leave the EU.

Italy will be Italy, France, France, etc. If they suffered a similar, frightening and threatening atrocity then we would support them. I say that without a doubt.

Some Remainers imagine enmity with the EU. Why? Does it serve their anger? Those countries will hate us for leaving? I imagine many of them envy us getting out, but that's for another thread. Humanity bonds us. A threat to the UK could be a future threat to European counties. Whether we sell potatoes and fish to them won't come into the reaction to stand firm with each other in the face of a threat.

Tegan2 Tue 27-Mar-18 22:39:46

Maddieone;can I just say that I totally agree with maryelizas response to a comment made by someone that you appeared to agree with. So I assume that you, too, think that it is Ireland that is trying to stir up trouble. And I despair of comments like that.....

Day6 Tue 27-Mar-18 22:44:54

I think we also have to remember that much of the western world views Russia with suspicion, if not hostility.

If the UK shows willing to support our allies, whether we trade with them or not, the support in the face of a common enemy would be reciprocal.

You can of course delight in imagining a scenario whereby cutting trading ties makes us the lepers of the world. I'd say that's a rather pathetic Remainer fantasy and some would love that to happen so they can say "Told you so."

I think we have to get real. We are leaving the EU, not Europe or the world.

MaizieD Tue 27-Mar-18 23:33:59

Some Remainers imagine enmity with the EU. Why? Does it serve their anger? Those countries will hate us for leaving?

What a strange comment, Day6.

It's Leavers who believe that the EU is 'bullying' the UK; 'punishing' us because of Brexit. It's Leavers who have been so excited at populist votes in other EU countries which they think will lead to them following our example. It's Leavers who hope for division and breakdown within the EU.

But perhaps it's different on your planet...

maddyone Tue 27-Mar-18 23:36:24

I’m sorry Tegan, but I have no idea what you are talking about. The comment on this thread about Ireland was made by a poster going by the name of Anniel, and I have not responded to that comment, nor agreed with it, or for that matter, disagreed with it. If you reread the thread you will see that this is the truth.
I repeat, just so it’s clear, I have never posted a comment, on this thread, or any other thread, about Ireland. To be told that I am uninformed about something that I have never expressed an opinion on, is baffling in the extreme.

maddyone Tue 27-Mar-18 23:37:31

And I might add, I despair of lack of truth, simply to try to prove a point. Sad!

maryeliza54 Wed 28-Mar-18 08:13:29

Maddy perhaps you could explain what you meant then by your post to me asking if I ever made a kindly or friendly response? You posted this straight after I criticised Anniel for her comment on Ireland. I therefore took this to mean that you thought I was being unkind to her re what she had said about Ireland - perhaps if you hadn’t jumped in with your personal attack on me you could have saved yourself this faux outrage.

maddyone Wed 28-Mar-18 09:00:20

It seemed to me Maryeliza that when you asked Anniel if she had any knowledge of Ireland, that seemed a patronising response. That’s what I meant, on the back of other comments on different threads where I have noticed that you have assumed superior knowledge to other posters. That’s what I meant, I haven’t any opinion about Ireland myself because I do realise it is indeed a complex subject, particularly now with Brexit upon us. Obviously this thread is about whether or not other EU countries would support us in the event of a similar thing happening after Brexit. Given that we haven’t yet left the EU all any of us can do is pontificate, there are right or wrong answers.

maddyone Wed 28-Mar-18 09:08:51

Incidentally Mary, I appreciate that your last post was more measured, apart from the very last about ‘faux outrage’ which doesn’t worry me at all. But sharp responses to some posters, especially new ones, could prevent them from dipping their toe in the water again, which would be unfortunate.

maryeliza54 Wed 28-Mar-18 09:57:43

Anyone who posts that Ireland is only interested in stirring up things about the border clearly has no knowledge whatsoever about Ireland and its history. It is utterly disrespectful of the terrible suffering that Ireland and the Irish ( from all communities and both sides of the curren border) have endured since the 16th century. The symbolic importance of the type of border that exists at the moment cannot be overestimated and its role in maintaining the GFA and the ‘peace’ we all benefit from now. The story of Ireland is tragic and deserves informed comment and I shall comment as unkindly and sharply as I wish on ill informed comments about Ireland that uninformed posters make. This is a news and politics thread not a thread where opinions are allowed to go unchallenged in case we hurt someone’s feelings. You be as critical as you like with my ripostes to ill informed posts and I’ll return the compliment. Being new doesn’t protect you from the need to be accurate.

maryeliza54 Wed 28-Mar-18 09:59:09

And when I assume superior knowledge it’s generally because I have it

maddyone Wed 28-Mar-18 11:15:34

I’m not new!
You’re arrogant!