Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn's Elasticity

(1001 Posts)
Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 21:23:27

A continuation of Momentum/Intertia/Magnetism.

Elastic? Plastic? Or at breaking point?

A thread for Corbyn lovers & haters

trisher Thu 29-Mar-18 11:41:25

Anniebach that is so unacceptable. Have I posted anywhere that I agree with the actions or the propaganda of any terrorist group?
But then your reaction to anything you disagree with is abuse and name calling so why should I be different?

Grandad1943 Thu 29-Mar-18 11:52:47

Primrose I am working in my home office today, so while I have a coffee, just a quick response to your posting of yesterday (28 /03/18 @23:36). In regard to the relationship between the Unite Union and Momentum, as I have stated previously, I believe that at grassroots level they are almost "one of the same organisation" and in that there is still a very good commen working agenda.

However, at the top (General Secretary and Executive Committee level) it may well be that Momentum is seen as "having done its job, now let the professionals in the Labour movement take charge".

In the above, I believe there may be some grounds for that being the correct approach. I feel that Momentum are in a similar position to UKIP. In that UKIP broke the mould in getting the debate on Britains membership of the EU off the ground and then played a leading role in the Brexit referendum. However, now that the referendum is over UKIP would seem to have nowhere to go, as all has been passed back to parliament.

As stated, Momentum is in a similar position to UKIP I feel, as they "broke the mould inside the Labour Party" in getting the grassroots voice heard once again. Len McCluskey without doubt is intent on getting senior Unite workplace reps into positions of influence throughout the Labour party with other unions having the same agenda.

Therefore, where is the future for those who are solely Momentum activists???

I will respond to the Day6 posting at the top of this thread later, if I get the time.

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 11:56:17

Thanks Grandad Enjoy your day off.

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 11:56:54

(We all know what 'working from home' really means) grin

Anniebach Thu 29-Mar-18 11:57:44

I have not name called or posted any verbal abuse Trisher

Anniebach Thu 29-Mar-18 12:02:33

So Trisher you disapprove of Corbyn's support of the IRA

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 12:25:53

trisher the debate about whether that mural is anti-semitic is over as far the Labour Party are concerned. It is anti-semitic.

The Labour Party has a zero-tolerance policy now towards anti-semitism.
If you're not comfortable with this, the problem is that you're supporting a political party where your values are not Labour Party values. That is very much your problem!

jura2 Thu 29-Mar-18 12:31:15

No - and neither do I approve of the terrorism of the Ulster Unionist and Orangemen.

However I will step forward and say I approved to Nelson Mandela's actions - apartheid left no-one with other option than direct action.

trisher Thu 29-Mar-18 12:35:20

Debates are never over Primrose except in totalitarian regimes of course.

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 13:03:56

Owen Smith was sacked from the shadow cabinet for not following the party line on Brexit and a 2nd referendum. Emily Thornberry said at Chatham House that Labour would probably support May and the Brexit deal - even though it means they could support a Brexit where the details are not known. Starmer has said that Labour could vote it down.
Who knows what the Labour position is on supporting a deal without detail? I just wonder who's next to be sacked for disagreeing with Brexit policy - Thornberry or Starmer.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-party-brexit-theresa-may-keir-starmer-back-eu-emily-thornberry-a8278606.html

Anniebach Thu 29-Mar-18 13:11:38

I fully agree Jura,

lemongrove Thu 29-Mar-18 13:57:41

trisher it seems you are at odds with Corbyn and the LP
(Now, anyway!) as it has been accepted that the mural was offensive antisemitism and that there are pockets of this same outlook within the LP.

lemongrove Thu 29-Mar-18 14:00:25

Primrose after watching the Daily Politics on that subject it would seem that the LP are not only not singing from the same hymn sheet they are sat in different churches.

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 14:08:07

We're just back to the 70's again. I think I might have to dust off my platform shoes and flares!

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 14:20:13

I haven't seen it yet lemon - going to watch it in a while on catch up. smile I keep wanting to say "He's not the Messiah! He's just a very naughty boy". Perhaps the LP need to start free screenings of the Life of Jeremy Brian, to help them understand what they're actually doing.

petra Thu 29-Mar-18 14:32:01

Primrose
We are always quoting that line grin

Grandad1943 Thu 29-Mar-18 14:40:58

Ok, on my lunch now, so, are we expected to believe that the conservative party are all singing from the same hymn sheet on Brexit (LOL). Rees-Mogg directly warned May on the fisheries sell out yesterday, therefore I believe that no party is witnessing anything like unity on Brexit.

The above is the reason I believe there will be a general election before Christmas. It may well be that as cross party groups form on different issues regarding Brexit, both leaders may find it impossible to control their parties and near chaos then follows

Now back to work again.

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 15:12:49

It just couldn't get any more satirical. Christine Shawcroft is going to stay in her position now, apparently, as she has been elected and that's the process.
She won't stand for re-election in June though, so she's there until the next party conference.

And John McDonnell says it's all Ian McNichols fault, anyway, in a Guardian article.
“We woke up to it two years ago when it was pointed out to us, we launched the Chakrabarti report, they [its recommendations] have not been implemented effectively. We have now brought in a new general secretary, they will be implemented.” (Guardian, today)

Anniebach Thu 29-Mar-18 15:52:33

I don't know should I laugh or cry, they are making such fools of themselves, trying to wriggling out of a mess they have created by blaming others . Did McNicols force Corbyn to tweet the things he did . Lady Shami is very quiet

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 16:21:50

Annie I think laughing is the best approach.
Shami may be silent on this, but Diane Abbott isn't. Apparently, she's made it quite clear this week a couple of times that all this is just to smear JC and she's retweeted stuff that says the same. She's being asked 'to comment'.

Talk about going from bad to worse.

Anniebach Thu 29-Mar-18 16:32:07

There is a chap on tv now, he is unbelievable , seems those at the demo were not a majority of .Jews, it was MP's , a plot to get rid of Corbyn by the centre or the party, also there were Pickles and Tebbit, a plot from the tories to damage Labours chances at the May elections , and it is an attack by Israel because Corbyn supports Palestine

Corbyn is innocent ?

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 17:30:51

I know Annie. The real victim in all this is Corbyn. And the real enemy is people who complain about anti-semitism.

There are just pockets of anti-semitism. Jeremy saw nothing.

yggdrasil Thu 29-Mar-18 17:31:44

I saw him speaking too. He is a Jewish Labour supporter.
I don't expect Annie to believe him, but there is a lot of supporting information for what he said,
There is no more anti-semitism in the Labour Party than in the Tories or UKIP or the country generally.
And there are council elections coming up in a month, so Corbyn has to be demonised as much as possible in the right-wing factions' eyes

trisher Thu 29-Mar-18 17:35:54

Annie if you had read my link you would have known all that already.And as I said it probably isn't entirely true, but then neither is it true that the demo was truly representational of the whole Jewish community. Led by affirmed Conservatives how could it be? The truth is somewhere in between. But there is undoubtedly a smear campaign against Corbyn.

yggdrasil Thu 29-Mar-18 17:38:57

skwawkbox.org/2018/03/29/exclusive-caa-yougov-data-show-labour-significantly-less-antisemitic-under-corbyn/

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion