Gransnet forums

News & politics

Did you see it ...no ?

(84 Posts)
paddyann Sun 06-May-18 00:58:36

I'm not surprised,the MSM rarely shows whats really happening on our streets ..especially Scottish streets .Yesterday there was a March for Independence ..ALL UNDER ONE BANNER .Through Glasgow streets .estimates range from 60,000 to the police estimate of 91,000,Of course IF you only watch TV news or read the mainstream news you wont have seen it .So when Ruth says theres no interest in Indy anymore keep THIS in mind .This march was peaceful ..no trouble at all according to the police..the unionists who tried to cause trouble ..all 12 of them with their union flags and nazi salutes were ignored by the marchers and surrounded by police.There are 4 more marches scheduled throughout Scotland in the next few weeks .I dare say you wont hear anything about them either .

SueDonim Sun 06-May-18 02:18:38

It's on the BBC. Is that not main stream? www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-44005360

OldMeg Sun 06-May-18 07:08:05

No, I didn’t see that paddyann. Thank you for flagging it up. I worked in Glasgow for many years. Lovely city.

Situpstraight Sun 06-May-18 07:29:12

Wasn’t there a vote on Independence some time ago?

Didn’t the Scottish people vote No?

OldMeg Sun 06-May-18 07:38:54

SUS it’s not as simple as that.

Jane10 Sun 06-May-18 07:52:46

They did vote No!

varian Sun 06-May-18 08:16:28

Scots voted NO to separatism in the " once in a lifetime " vote less than four years ago and the only change since then is that the SNP has become more unpopular.

Situpstraight Sun 06-May-18 08:36:27

oldmeg sounds pretty simple to me, much like the Brexit vote. You might not like it but the majority, whichever way you voted, made the decision.

Anniebach Sun 06-May-18 08:37:17

I heard, it was reported on the news.

Scotland voted no and Alex Samond was voted out so Scotland has spoken.

Granny23 Sun 06-May-18 09:10:12

Alex Salmond was not voted out - he resigned and was replaced by Nicola Sturgeon.

At the following year's GE the SNP swept the board winning all but 3 of Westminster seats. It used to be the case that if the Party of Independence won more than 50% of the Scottish Seats at a GE then they had the right to declare an Independent Nation. When this did happen that right was denied.

It is now obvious that Westminster has reneged on the promises made in THE VOW which was designed to encourage a NO vote.

There is a majority for Independence in the Scottish Parliament -SNP + Greens

Voters in Scotland voted 62% to Remain in the EU. Brexit is the 'material change' which allows for a 2nd Independence referendum.

Opinion Polls consistently show support for Independence simmering just below 50%, with a slow but increasing upward trend as the electorate see the shambles of the Brexit negotiations.

Liljan Sun 06-May-18 09:22:17

The people of Scotland have spoken, only the SNP refuse to accept their decision. I am a proud Scot, but I am also proud to be British and should Scotland become an Independent Country, I will be the first to leave.

nigglynellie Sun 06-May-18 09:35:20

FGS, not this again! Scotland had a ' Once in a lifetime' referendum four years ago and vote NO to independence. Maybe the life of a Hampster is four years, but a human being?!!!! confused

Baggs Sun 06-May-18 09:36:57

Good one, niggles! grin

Baggs Sun 06-May-18 09:37:28

Glad it's not just me going ffuxake!

Baggs Sun 06-May-18 09:38:47

Think I might start referring to hamster-syndrome.

Granny23 Sun 06-May-18 10:34:20

liljan I'm genuinely puzzled by your stance, which I have heard umpteen times, but never heard an explanation of what would be so terrible about an independent Scottish Nation that you would be forced to relocate. Where would you go?

I also do not understand the aversion to another referendum. If you have little interest or already know how you will vote, you can simply ignore the campaigning and vote on the day or by post. I am surprised that the Liberals are calling for a 2nd vote on Brexit, once the 'deal' is known and are strongly pressing for support from the SNP and Greens to this end, yet remain totally opposed to a 2nd Indy ref when circumstances have changed dramatically. The Liberals are a pro-EU Party and the only hope for Scotland to remain in the EU (which 62% of voters in Scotland wanted), is to leave the Union.

Please don't start the 'Spain would veto the application' mantra, etc. etc. The rest of the EU would LOVE to have Scotland still IN. Think Oil and Fishing Quotas, not to mention a simple move of financial business HQ's from London to Edinburgh rather than Dublin.

Jane10 Sun 06-May-18 10:44:09

I don't understand why, to SNP supporters, no somehow doesn't mean no.
Referendums are horribly divisive. Those on the losing side whine on and try to come up for reasons to reverse the decision.
I respect democracy. I voted to remain in the UK and also to remain in the EU. I accept that I didn't get what I wanted re EU membership but I sucked it up. That's life!

Liljan Sun 06-May-18 10:56:06

Granny23 My lovely country could never survive on its own and the thought of living within the ruin that independence would cause is not something I care to witness. We were told that our oil would sustain Scotland as an independent country, not only were the numbers falsified at that time, we have now seen the absolute decline in Aberdeen because of the oil, we still have no answers about currency....no longer able to use the £ and the EU have stated on more than one occasion that the € would not be an automatic option. I could go on, but as those before me have said, we were told by both Alex Salmond & Nicola Sturgeon that this was a once in a lifetime vote, the decision was made by the people and that decision should be respected.

FarNorth Sun 06-May-18 11:15:13

Jane10, didn't you feel a bit peeved that your vote to remain in the UK was also supposed to ensure that Scotland remained in the EU (as proclaimed by many No politicians, including David Cameron) but it actually ended up meaning Leave the EU?

Anniebach Sun 06-May-18 11:24:04

I thought Salmond lost his seat in 2017,

Granny23 Sun 06-May-18 11:25:58

PS - just returned from a coach and ferry trip down the Western Isles. Everywhere, we saw fabulous new schools, many with a community wing and sports facilities, including swimming pools. All had a wee plaque testifying to the EU funding which financed them. The older school buildings have been re-purposed as nursery schools, community hubs and in one case a Hotel!

Every harbour now has a floating pontoon with moorings for visiting yachts and cabin cruisers. Even this early in the season these were being well used, with consequent input to the local economy via mooring fees and tourist spend. The pontoons have been funded by the SG as have the Road Tariff Equivalent ferry and air fares. New build houses on every croft and a general air of prosperity, such a change since I last did the tour around 15 years ago.

henetha Sun 06-May-18 11:40:05

I saw the march reported on BBC. Although many people joined various marches, they are still in the minority.
The referendum showed a clear result 4 years ago and should therefore be respected as democratic. There is no good reason for another referendum for many years.
I love Scotland and would be terribly sad if it left the U.K.

Jane10 Sun 06-May-18 14:06:15

FarNorth as I said I was not pleased that the EU referendum didn't go they way I would have preferred. However, that's democracy and its better than any of the alternatives.
I sometimes think I live in a different Scotland from the one the SNP raves about!

FarNorth Sun 06-May-18 14:58:35

I understood that Jane10.
My point was that campaigners for No (including Ruth Davidson and David Cameron) stated that the only way to be sure of staying in the EU was to vote No.
That was untrue and they were misleading voters.

My question was - Did you not feel peeved at being misled in that way?

nigglynellie Sun 06-May-18 15:38:47

At the time it was true and said in good faith. No one was more shocked than D.C. when it turned out differently. You're right though, people in all walks of life should be careful what they promise as circumstances can dictate otherwise and in this case did.