Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jacob Rees-Mogg Moves For Conservative Party Leadership.

(684 Posts)
Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 17:49:55

With an open attack on Theresa Mays handling of the Brexit negotiations many in the media believe that Jacob Rees-Mogg has made his first open move in a bid to become Conservative party leader and Britain's next Prime Minister.

Rees-Mogg in yet another of his ongoing interviews with the media lambasted "weak" Theresa May for preparing the UK for "Brexit failure". Rees-Mogg stated that with The British negotiators going into each set of negotiations with an attitude of "we will kowtow before you, Mr Barnier in every way you possible throughout these talks" there is no hope of success for the UK. The foregoing are undoubtedly harsh words indeed even from an arch hard line Brexitier, but many believe that there is far more to Rees-Moggs words than just Brexit.

It may well be that this hard line right wing politician has witnessed the way that Jeremy Corbyn has moved the Labour party to the left and now feels he could carry out the same in the Conservative party with the exception of that move being in the opposite direction in regards to political ground.

Evidence to the above can be seen in Rees-Moggs attack on Scottish Conservative Leader Ruth Davison, for in the same interview he stated that Davison should not be allowed to marry her longtime same sex partner as planned. However, same sex marriage legislation was put before parliament and passed in 2013 under the David Cameron coalition government.

In making the above comment Rees-Mogg is undoubtedly looking to damage Ruth Davison, who also is seen as a possible next leader of the Conservative party. That stated, it is also being seen as a move against centre ground Concervatives in parliament.

In the above can be seen shades of Momentum's original moves against centre Blairite MPs in the Labour party.

Jalima1108 Thu 24-May-18 12:45:24

What about Lord Lucan, then?
I definitely do not want Lord Lucan as Prime Minister thank you.

Who is SJ please?

(sorry if it is obvious, it's been a long morning)

Anniebach Thu 24-May-18 12:51:00

Lord Lucan is even older than Corbyn

Jalima1108 Thu 24-May-18 12:54:55

and he may be dead.

Anniebach Thu 24-May-18 13:02:48

Maybe, hasn’t he been declared dead legally so his son can have the title ?

Jalima1108 Thu 24-May-18 13:19:14

I think so, but didn't the children make mysterious trips to SA?

Anniebach Thu 24-May-18 13:39:23

I didn’t know that Jalima

Grandad1943 Thu 24-May-18 13:39:52

These old Tories will try anything rather than discuss the thread topic and the problems of the Concervative party.

No wonder that party is falling apart, with members and supporters like the above posters who needs enemies. (LOL)

Anniebach Thu 24-May-18 13:42:49

I don’t think he committed suicide , sounded too arrogant to feel guilt or remorse or fear .

Grandad1943 Thu 24-May-18 13:52:15

Anniebach, you claim you have held membership of the Labour party for 50 years. However, when a thread is opened that gives you the chance as a long-standing Labour party member to be openly critical of Labours main political opponents you seem not to wish to take up the opertunities.

Your attitude would lead many to wonder if you are a Labour supporter at all?

Anniebach Thu 24-May-18 13:54:18

If he fled the country it wouldn’t have been by ferry surely

nigglynellie Thu 24-May-18 14:12:31

Well annie that was one theory, (to blend with ordinary passengers?!!) and that he committed suicide by jumping overboard mid channel!! Who knows!!!
I love the idea of your wild flower meadow. We had similar when we lived in Somerset. It was to do with the conservation grazing of Exmoor ponies. The meadow was a joy to behold in high summer.

Anniebach Thu 24-May-18 14:19:04

niggly, I am so happy that I will have one, they volunteered to cut the lawn then surprised me with - would you like your own wild flower meadow ? . Wonder if he did jump

Jalima1108 Thu 24-May-18 14:46:27

I think he had friends with money and influence who helped him.

I'd love a wild flower meadow, I tried to do it in part of the garden but without success.

Jalima1108 Thu 24-May-18 15:00:12

I would still like to know who SJ is please.

I must be missing something

maryeliza54 Thu 24-May-18 15:06:49

Well it hardly matters now

Jalima1108 Thu 24-May-18 15:08:39

Why confused

it's going to irritate me now - please tell!!

Jalima1108 Thu 24-May-18 15:10:53

Ah yes.
Newly promoted?

nigglynellie Thu 24-May-18 15:14:00

That's matter of opinion! Can't help though as I don't know either!!
Think you are right Jalima about the friends in high places! sounds more plausible! Poor Nanny!

Grandad1943 Thu 24-May-18 15:17:06

And the Band played on as the Tory Titanic sank. (LOL)

These Tory supporters and one that "claims" to be Labour are unbelievable. No wonder the Tory party is in such a mess.

Grandad1943 Thu 24-May-18 15:23:07

It was stated a few days back in the media that almost all the remaining Tory supporters are aged and out of touch with modern Britain. That statement certainly seems to be born out on this forum (LOL)

Anniebach Thu 24-May-18 15:23:55

JRM wouldn’t harm nanny , she makes a mean Shepherds Pie too He said so in an interview with Kay Burley .

niggly, perhaps the new Home Secretary, I can’t spell his name sorry , Jamila said newly promoted

humptydumpty Thu 24-May-18 16:12:47

Grandad well done in trying to reclaim your OP, there seem to be posters who have no wish to enter into debate.

maryeliza54 Thu 24-May-18 16:15:37

And who think derailing is amusing. Still I suppose that’s all they can do given the current state of the so called Government

Ilovecheese Thu 24-May-18 16:15:49

Not only don't want to enter into debate, want to close it down by filling it with irrelevance.

maryeliza54 Thu 24-May-18 16:17:36

Exactly Ilove they have nothing sensible to post