Gransnet forums

News & politics

Melania’s Jacket deserves a thread of its own

(107 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:50:33

How, how, how could that happen? Is she completely devoid of any sense or empathy at all? You go to visit caged children who have been ripped from their parents and you wear a jacket proclaiming ‘ I really don’t care, do you?’

newnanny Fri 22-Jun-18 10:08:32

it is a dreadful jacket anyway worn by a woman who can afford to dress stylishly.

Elrel Fri 22-Jun-18 10:11:08

Extraordinary decision. I wonder when did the wife of a world leader last wear clothing with a slogan?
Now if our own dear Philip had worn it ...
If Andrew had worn the jacket it would have rung true. Diana might have made a point with a slogan jacket too but wouldn’t have sunk to it.

anitamp1 Fri 22-Jun-18 10:11:24

Strange decision to wear it. So open to various interpretations, whatever her intention.

Grannygrumps60 Fri 22-Jun-18 10:13:29

It does appear to have been a massive error of judgement and a very strange choice; however, I wonder whether the message should be that she doesn’t care about the media’s focus on her looks and clothing when the main issue is that children are suffering. She rarely gets involved in politics, so it appears that she does care about these children, albeit that the visit might have been staged.

Aepgirl Fri 22-Jun-18 10:15:25

Apart from the gross stupidity and unsympathetic nature of the statement, why did she need a jacket when the temperature there was nearly 30 - it certainly wasn't needed to keep her warm. I think she knew exactly what she was doing!

Millbrook Fri 22-Jun-18 10:16:06

The jacket cost $50 from Zara. She's probably never worn anything as cheap in the whole of her married life - of course she chose to wear it, knowing what reaction she would get. The whole thing is deliberate.
All this c**p that 'it's about the fake media' is so she can (am quoting from Twitter here) "send a clear as day message that galvanizes white supremacists while giving [herself ] plausible deniability"
The inhumane treatment of immigrants, refugees, and children, is despicable. Donald & Melania Trump are doing terrible things, and anyone who defends her by saying 'she has a nice sense of style' needs to reexamine their priorities in life! angry

Bathsheba Fri 22-Jun-18 10:19:34

It doesn't really matter what the slogan was meant to be referring to - fake news, her husband, whatever. The fact is she was wearing it to go and visit distressed, caged children, separated from their families. And she is not so stupid that she wouldn't have been aware that people would connect the slogan to the children. So whichever way you look at it, this was a deliberate and quite nasty thing to do.

GillT57 Fri 22-Jun-18 10:22:26

Gross behaviour, what a trash family they all are. I had hoped that she was showing a glimmer of humanity, but no, that was fake news on my part. She was wooden and insincere when she spoke, ghastly woman. Maybe she is having a poke at Donald, but what an insensitive way to do it, using these children to launch her vendetta/personal campaign whatever the hell it is. Now, if I was owner of Zara, I would announce that I was withdrawing these jackets from sale due to the appalling associations, but then again, I have morals......

Anniebach Fri 22-Jun-18 10:23:22

Gospel truth and Trump? They have never met,

She chose the jacket, could it have been a reply to the previous presidents wives who have been very vocal about the children?

Millbrook Fri 22-Jun-18 10:24:34

I do wish Gransnet had a 'like' button. Bathsheba - you are spot on with that last comment....

TerriBull Fri 22-Jun-18 10:26:43

She often comes across as quite inscrutable but in this instance I thought, shocked at her husband stance on these enforced separations, she had, quite rightly, expressed her opposition to them. With that in mind, it's a very strange choice to wear something with what I suppose could be construed as an ambiguous message open to interpretation. Foolish really as it will be seen as a statement that she doesn't care, when she already said she does, about such a deeply upsetting issue. confused

MaizieD Fri 22-Jun-18 10:58:37

Now I've seen a picture of it. It's not even a jacket, it's a tarted up mac isn't it? Still vile...

Nanny41 Fri 22-Jun-18 11:03:52

THAT jacket, has she no fashion advisers suddenly, or if so cant they read, or cant she.
This is a despicable thing to do, was she thinking at all, first publicity visiting those poor children, then showing off that dreadful jacket giving the wrong signals, well she is married to Trump so what can we expect?

Nanny41 Fri 22-Jun-18 11:04:43

Nobody should critisise Meghan after this!

lemongrove Fri 22-Jun-18 11:05:42

Terri I agree with you.

micmc47 Fri 22-Jun-18 11:12:59

In don't believe for one moment that to wear a jacket with such a logo was a "thoughtless oversight". She knew exactly what she was doing. However, to then suggest it refers to "fake news" is laughable. The Redneck and far right vote which Trump relies on have been suitably pandered too, and the message is sufficiently ambiguous in terms of target that they can read it as they will. I feel so sorry for my many American friends, none of whom support Trump, yet all of whom have to share in the many disgraces he has brought to that great Nation. He literally has no shame. What an evil man.

MaizieD Fri 22-Jun-18 11:13:10

Actions speak louder than words, I'm afraid, lemon & TerriBull

lemongrove Fri 22-Jun-18 11:20:41

Does anyone really think that she visited those children wearing that message on her coat as meaning that she doesn’t care about them at all? I mean really?!
It will definitely mean something else but she didn’t think it would be misconstrued as it has been, the question is why she didn’t think it would and why advisors allowed her to be seen wearing it.Perhaps Americans know it refers to ‘fake news’ or even not caring what people say about Trump?
Who knows, but I can’t see it as being worn because she wants the world to know that she doesn’t care about the children.It was a huge PR mistake.

Pebbles77 Fri 22-Jun-18 11:32:49

He is totally inept and it is unforgivable to wear that slogan in such a sensitive situation
The Americans have no scruples that is the problem ... I remember watching the Michael Jackson child abuse trial ... I was in Florida at the time ... my jaw dropped
When the court were laughing about a comment made when exactly seconds before somebody was describing a violation of a child .. it would be unheard of in this country to do this totally inappropriate and this is what we have here with Melania ... no scruples plain and simple

Devorgilla Fri 22-Jun-18 11:40:20

Yes, MaizieD, I was being sarcastic. DT puts his own spin on things and expects us all to believe it. There was a survey done among primary school children to see if they could spot the article that was fake news. Most couldn't. I find that worrying in an age and world where instant news is everything.
About slogans on clothing - it never fails to amaze me what some people are happy to walk around wearing.

Milly Fri 22-Jun-18 11:43:06

I thought it was aimed at Donald, I don't care what you think, I'm visiting the children who I stuck up for. But having read your posts I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

inishowen Fri 22-Jun-18 11:48:13

She has sex with Donald Trump. Enough said.

lemongrove Fri 22-Jun-18 11:53:14

Pebbles you say ‘Americans have no scruples’ .......a sweeping and untrue statement!

Minerva Fri 22-Jun-18 11:55:48

Milly we read it the same way. I can’t imagine her husband can have sanctioned her dismayed tweets or her visit to the ‘caged’ children. I am just praying that those poor little ones are reunited with their parents soon.

Pebbles77 Fri 22-Jun-18 12:10:28

scruples ( the meaning of )
hesitate or be reluctant to do something that one thinks may be wrong.
Lemon grove ... sorry but people in charge of your country were voted in by your country ... Melania did not hesitate it seems to wear that god awful jacket considering the many hundreds of other jackets she could have worn ....I see it time and time again on TV crime show documentary’s .. smiling when inappropriate .. it’s nist something I have picked up on