Gransnet forums

News & politics

Deal or No Deal

(89 Posts)
varian Tue 31-Jul-18 20:45:06

Deal or No Deal was a TV Show where contestants could, if they were lucky, win large sums of money. Even if they were unlucky, they did not lose money.

What we are now being faced with in the brexitshambles scenario is a choice between a very bad deal and a catastrophic no deal. Unlike the TV contestants, we have so much to lose.

Why on earth should the 48 million people living in the UK ever accept this when it becomes abundantly clear that the best future for our country would be to remain members of the EU??

MaizieD Tue 30-Oct-18 21:43:29

All that the poll result tells me, Petra is that large numbers of the general public are as clueless as they were on 23rd June 2016.

MaizieD Wed 31-Oct-18 09:52:27

@Grandad

I don't know if you read this blog already, Grandad but with your interest in transport and logistics I though you might like to see it:

www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87040

Dr North is a long time campaigner for leaving the EU. His analyses of the effects of leaving with no deal (which he sees as increasingly likely) are at least informed by years of study .

In my opinion, it makes sense to take a pessimistic view and then to double down on that to expect far worse than the high-level pundits are predicting. And the reason for this is that the trading infrastructure of the UK is far more fragile than we are led to believe, and far less capable of withstanding the shocks of a "no deal" Brexit than is generally assumed.

Some clues to this come in a report which has received no media attention from Felixstowe-base hauliers James Kemball...

Headed "UK Container Transport Crisis 2018", this points to a UK container transport industry currently at crisis point, evidenced in recent weeks with major disruption to supply chains during this year's peak season period

The essential point here, from the Brexit perspective, is that many of the more optimistic pundits, confronted with warnings of disruption to the ro-ro traffic passing through the Dover-Calais route, argue that the slack can be picked up by other ports and, where there is a shortfall in ro-ro capacity, goods can be diverted into shipping containers and handled by the container ports..

But, even if swapping routes and transport modes is theoretically possible, the Kemball report suggests that an industry on the brink would not be able to cope with the additional traffic, on top of the disturbance and delays brought about by newly implemented border controls.

And lots more....

Grandad1943 Thu 01-Nov-18 19:31:13

MaizieD, many thanks for the link and extract from it in your above post.

One of our Assignment Controllers attended a briefing given on Monday evening given by the Driver an Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) on the more ridged enforcement of heavy vehicle axle weights in Europe.

Many of the West Country hauliers where in attendance and a there was much discussion on what may well happen in a "no deal" Brexit at the end of the presentation.

There was much genuine concern in regard to the future of their businesses among the hauliers at the meeting with some planning to transfer their vehicles over to the continent in what has become known as "flagging out".

Of course, the British drivers will not be able to go with the vehicles and will therefore face redundancy, and there will also be the problem of finding European drivers willing to operate those right hand drive vehicles.

However, the above demonstrates just how desperate many in the road transport industry have become regarding the future of the industry in Britain.

A very sad situation indeed in what is one of the UK's most efficient industries and largest employers.

varian Thu 01-Nov-18 22:56:42

A no-deal brexit would threaten cancer treatments, food and medicine supplies, insurance policies, and the functioning of the NHS, as well as the existence of entire industries within the UK. Here are just some of the things that could happen if May fails to secure a Brexit deal.

Most people take the day-to-day functioning of the NHS for granted. But the flow of medical supplies — cancer medicines, vaccines, clinical devices, and blood — are dependent on complex supply chains across Europe which are designed to be traded within the single market. In a leaked letter between NHS chiefs reported this week, Simon Stevens, chief executive of NHS England, warned: "Public health and disease control coordination could also suffer, and our efforts to reassure, retain and attract the European workforce on which the NHS relies could also be jeopardized."

Around 45 million packs of medicine go from the UK to Europe every month and 37 million packs travel in the opposite direction. Every single one of those needs to be licensed and tested and certified by the European medicines regulator.

uk.businessinsider.com/no-deal-brexit-could-destroy-britain-2018-6/#the-nhs-could-run-out-of-drugs-1

varian Mon 05-Nov-18 11:19:00

Some of the UK's most prestigious museums could be forced to cancel exhibitions if Britain crashes out of the EU without a deal, according to a batch of secret memos.

Major visitor attractions such as the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Natural History Museum and the National Museums of Liverpool have expressed grave concerns about the costs of importing foreign artworks, falling tourist numbers and staffing shortages in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

A memo from the V&A to the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport warned it could be compelled to close its doors temporarily as 44 per cent of customer service staff are EU nationals, and claimed that recruitment difficulties could hamper its plans for a new venue in Stratford. The South Kensington-based attraction also said it could face up to £25m import costs on its loans for future exhibitions.

Papers from the Natural History Museum said it could be left £2m out of pocket through a loss of research funding, while an estimated 15 per cent decline in foreign tourists could cost £2.4m.

The Royal Museums Greenwich said a chaotic exit could mean shipment of art items are twice as costly in the short term, while the National Museums Liverpool warned that visa and customs issues could affect costs and timings for programmes.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-museums-no-deal-memo-uk-natural-history-eu-nationals-a8610796.html

varian Wed 07-Nov-18 20:36:16

If Britain leaves the European Union with no deal in place to govern trade with its biggest partner, it will fall back on World Trade Organisation rules. The same set of rules would apply to EU countries and non-EU trade partners. This is why the UK government has published a series of “technical notices” detailing preparations for a no-deal Brexit.

Here are seven reasons that sum up why a no-deal Brexit and defaulting to WTO rules would be bad for British businesses and the wider economy.

theconversation.com/no-deal-seven-reasons-why-a-wto-only-brexit-would-be-bad-for-britain-102009

MargaretX Wed 07-Nov-18 22:54:45

You can't go on saying Britain only wants to be in the single market as it no longer exists. We have our own currency and much more besides. People are cared for, can be looked after if they fall ill in another country. The Uk had a unique position in this haveing their own currency and benefitting from a huge export market.
Extras will no longer be offered so they will have to make do with whatever the EU arranges. I don't think they will let it get so bad as to be a no deal.
Even thousands marching is not a democratic act in a country of 60 millions. It shows the desperation of some of the people and I hope they feel better for making the effort but it won't alter anything.
It is worrying for all of us the fact that medicines and other medical exports are travelling over the North Sea everyday in both directions. We can't go back to manufacturing everything ourselves

I hope common sense prevails and a deal can be settled on,
even of it does mean I have to travel alongside hundreds of lorries everytine I go to visit DD2 and family.

varian Mon 12-Nov-18 10:46:20

The consultancy Oliver Wyman estimates that the life sciences industry would face an increase in costs of 5%. Much of this could be passed on to the NHS – and even this is under a ‘mitigated’ no deal scenario. For prices more widely, higher than expected inflation linked to the 10% drop in sterling after the EU referendum seems to have added around £500 million to the deficits of NHS trusts in England alone in 2016/17. A drop of up to 20% in the event of a no deal Brexit could be similarly felt. Costs for special supply flights and stockpiling, too, would be likely to be passed on to the public sector in one way or another.

Then there are those medium and longer-term impacts of a no deal scenario. The British pharmaceutical and life sciences industry is likely to take a heavy blow as exports suffer from all the barriers described above. NHS staff and patients crossing the Irish border, including for life-saving heart treatment, will suddenly run into a hard border. UK retirees in the EU will suddenly find they lose access to the reciprocal health care schemes tentatively agreed last year, and may have to return at a cost that we estimated could hit £500 million each year.

Given all this would come immediately after another winter of financial pressure and strained bed capacity, we could expect the months around a no deal Brexit to be among the most difficult in the 70-year history of the NHS.

The good news? These consequences of crashing out without a deal, which would be reflected in almost every other sector of life in Britain and in nearby EU countries as well, are so sobering that it is difficult to believe either side will really dare to go over the edge.

Dayan M (2018) "Over the edge: a no deal Brexit and the NHS", Nuffield Trust comment.

www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/news-item/over-the-edge-a-no-deal-brexit-and-the-nhs

varian Mon 12-Nov-18 17:08:34

Tory MP and Vice Chairman of the so-called "European Research Group (Moggites) has announced that if the "deal" is based on TM's Checkers plan he and his gang will vote it down.

I love his name - Mark Francois

But I can't say I like anything else about him or his nasty little gang.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkShcuexwik

POGS Mon 12-Nov-18 17:32:44

Um. ' Vote it down ' like the lib Dems and Labour?

varian Tue 13-Nov-18 10:06:51

It is almost certain that this "deal" will be unpopular all round.

The Moggites will vote it down because they want a chaotic "jump off the cliff" no-deal brexit so they and their ultra-rich friends can cash in at everyone else's expense.

The Liberal Democrats, the SNP, most Labour MPs and a good number of Tories will reject it because it leaves us far worse off than we are now as members of the world's biggest and most successful trading block.

varian Mon 19-Nov-18 18:16:34

I've just listened to a brexit item on PM on Radio 4.

The interviewer Evan Davies, asked Tory MP and Prisons Minister Rory Stewart a question about our options. I have always thought Rory Stewart was one of the less objectionable Tories, but I was appalled at the way he answered. He said something like "if I was chairing a meeting I might ask "how many want a Peoples Vote?" and ten hands would go up, so then I'd ask how many want to leave with "no deal" and fifty or sixty hands would go up. So then I would realise that the majority were in favour of Theresa May's deal"

Now I haven't been able to check this as it is not yet on i-player, but that was the gist of it.

The fact is that something like 54% of the population currently support a People's Vote with the option to Remain and more than 50% would vote Remain. Those who would support a "no-deal brexit" are probably the minority of Leavers.

This total distortion of the true balance of opinion was not challenged by Evan Davies who seems to be following the party line of the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation, which has been complicit from the start in foisting this brexit nonsense on us. I am very disappointed in Evan Davies.

It is time that we had some fair and true reporting of this fiasco.

varian Fri 23-Nov-18 10:43:37

Anyone thinking that a "no-deal" brexit would be absolutely fine should read this article in the Economist

"The truth about a no-deal Brexit- time to bust the last great Brexit myth"

www.economist.com/leaders/2018/11/24/the-truth-about-a-no-deal-brexit