Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cruise passenger rescued after 10 hours in the sea

(71 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 21-Aug-18 00:01:24

How amazing that this woman managed to keep calm enough to stay afloat for ten hours before being rescued - and she seemed remarkably unfazed by the whole experience. I wonder how she fell overboard.

I read in the I today that 319 people have gone overboard since 2000 and it is "extremely uncommon" for them to be found alive. I was surprised that so many people have fallen or jumped overboard while on cruises.

Riverwalk Tue 21-Aug-18 18:05:33

Regardless of how she ended up in the 'effin water - is no one impressed that she survived for 10 hours? !!

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 18:08:00

She jumped from fairly high up so she's very lucky that the impact of hitting the water didn't kill her, or the shock.

trisher Tue 21-Aug-18 18:12:25

I'm impressed Riverwalk and I also think that having been rescued she probably had the right to look cheerful and to celebrate. But I'm probably wrong. After all she was a bad woman who drank and argued and wasn't properly dressed when she was rescued so no doubt got what she deserved wink

trisher Tue 21-Aug-18 18:14:16

Ah I see Jalima1108 case judged and verdict given. Talk about kangaroo court!!!

Fennel Tue 21-Aug-18 18:18:04

Eloethan As for people jumping overboard.
I have a fear of heights and a compulsion to jump off high places.
The first time we crossed on the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam we went up on deck. I had to cling onto husband's arm to stop myself - went quickly down below.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 18:22:01

wasn't properly dressed when she was rescued
I did say she may have discarded her clothes.

Talk about kangaroo court!!!
As it is pretty impossible to fall off, I made that assumption.
Never assume anything apparently!

Unless, of course, you have been on a NCL cruise ship and know differently trisher

Anniebach Tue 21-Aug-18 18:22:42

who pays the costs of the rescue ?

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 18:23:08

or were on that one shock and saw something different to the other passengers!

ginny Tue 21-Aug-18 18:23:19

Any sober person would have had to climb on to the top of the railings or lean over a heck of a long way to fall accidentally. Maybe she has the same problem as Fennel. I do hope there is CCTV to solve the case.

trisher Tue 21-Aug-18 18:28:07

It's an assumption made without any real evidence Jalima1108. Having been somewhere where an accident or incident happened isn't acceptable evidence. It is highly unlikely (but just possible) that someone gave her a push. So -a Kangaroo Court.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 18:32:24

I just said that I should not assume anything.

I am not the only one to assume that or surmise it - even on this thread let alone elsewhere.

What do you want me to do? Issue a full apology in tomorrow's Independent?

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 18:33:49

I doubt that anyone could be pushed over a high and solid railing, so that is not really possible, unless she was sitting on top of the railing.

trisher Tue 21-Aug-18 18:36:24

Actually you can fall off from 7deck and survive www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtQZPVNt464

Anniebach Tue 21-Aug-18 18:42:59

A passenger has said steps led to the rail , takes some doing to fall up steps then down over a rail. Perhaps a case of

‘Should have gone to spec savers’

BlueBelle Tue 21-Aug-18 19:00:57

? like it Anniebach
I believe it said cameras viewed afterwards showed she was on her own Trisher so not pushed

Chewbacca Tue 21-Aug-18 19:06:53

I did say she may have discarded her clothes

Her shirt was found on the deck that she "fell from"; hence the reason that she was found dressed in only her shorts and bra.
As for who pays for the rescue; apparently the mother of the Norwegian Cruise Line's president has said it's cost them 600,000 euros.

Anniebach Tue 21-Aug-18 19:14:33

Bet they regret saying ‘welcome aboard ‘

Eloethan Tue 21-Aug-18 19:19:03

It is suggested by some that if it is found that she jumped then she should pay towards all the costs involved. I don't agree. Even if she didn't fall but jumped, I don't think it is the sort of thing that someone who is mentally well would do, even if they were very upset and had been drinking heavily (and, as others have said, if she had been drinking so heavily as to impair her sense of self-preservation, surely she could not have survived for 10 hours?).

I'm rather sorry I started the thread now as I basically saw it as quite a remarkable survival story - and I was also surprised at the number of people who are lost overboard on cruises. Out of interest, I did wonder how she fell but am rather sad that so many people are already judging her when they know nothing about her or her state of mind.

Anniebach Tue 21-Aug-18 19:20:49

She told Croatia News she was sitting at the back of the deck, so fell off a chair, up steps and over a 6ft rail

M0nica Tue 21-Aug-18 19:22:46

She was very, very lucky to be rescued, and full credit to the ships owners and crew that they were able so quickly to locate exactly where and when she parted with the ship and reached the water and then searched for her and to the Croatian Coast Guard who took over from them and found her.

BUT

at the end of the day, if this event it is shown to be the result of a conscious act by this lady I hope they send her the bill, both the Norwgians and the Croatians