Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn / BBC declare social class of employees?

(509 Posts)
POGS Thu 23-Aug-18 00:23:58

It is said Corbyn will today (Thursday) announce how Labour will reform the BBC. If this turns out to be false news then I apologise now.

It is being discussed in the media how one of his /Labours ideas is for the BBC to declare the ' Social Class ' of employees.

If this is even a thought I find that principal very alarming and if true I expect the Labour Party to lead by example and do the same for all employees including the Shadow Cabinet and all MP's.

How do you work out a persons Social Class? By Wealth, Education, Family background?

I would tell somebody requiring that of me to ' Go Forth'.

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 09:13:46

Only if it is about the U.K. not just England

janeainsworth Thu 23-Aug-18 09:14:10

Wasn’t it John Prescott who said “We’re all middle class now?”

gillybob Thu 23-Aug-18 09:15:40

Are you listening to radio Newcastle JaneA I can’t work. I’m so upset and tearful.

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 09:15:43

Yes it was janeainsworth

gillybob Thu 23-Aug-18 09:16:41

I didn’t mention England Annie I think this effects the whole of the UK . So sad.

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 09:20:26

Gilly, you said the radio station you were listening to was talking of the north of England .

Good thing you don’t live in South Wales, you would spend every day in tears , but no matter, it isn’t England

gillybob Thu 23-Aug-18 09:23:35

Oh Annie for goodness sake ??? I’m not saying things aren’t bad in Wales . But I don’t live in Wales I can’t get Welsh local radio either . confused

gillybob Thu 23-Aug-18 09:24:36

And Actually to be fair to AM he is now talking about society as s whole .

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 09:25:20

I know Gilly, but when I tried to bring Wales into it you shut me down

gillybob Thu 23-Aug-18 09:44:20

I’m not shutting you down at all Annie and believe you me I know there are regions as poor as Tyneside but I can only speak with real experience of Tyneside . There are many regions in the whole of the U.K. that continue to be left behind and those wearing the blinkers are never going to help fix it are they? There has always been an. “I’m alright Jack” attitude .

jessycake Thu 23-Aug-18 09:47:35

I think he means because a disproportionate amount of BBC employees come from a public school background .

Elegran Thu 23-Aug-18 09:48:55

Brief wander from the point - Just seen that Annie asked who was educated at Saughton. Lots of criminals, Annie, it is a jail in Edinburgh.

Sorry, as you were.

leeds22 Thu 23-Aug-18 09:51:48

One person's perception of their social 'class' is different to the next. University educated doctors, teachers, lawyers etc are all surely 'middle class' but they could also claim to be 'working class' as they all have to work regulated hours for a living. Silly JC (but also dangerous).

Jaycee5 Thu 23-Aug-18 09:52:30

I think that is the least important part of what he said. He wants fair taxation, for the BBC to be funded in a different way and for it to be unbiased and in the latter respect the public will vote for Board Members rather than them being appointed by the government.
There is a problem with journalists generally all coming through the same narrow channel usually because of the use of unpaid interns which excludes those who have the least but also because people tend to appoint people like themselves without necessary being aware that they are doing it. They should train up school leavers and not only graduates as local newspapers used to do.

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 09:52:54

Elegran, silly me, puzzled now why I thought Australia. Thank you.

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 09:54:22

I didn’t have a vote for Corbyn’s son to work in Labour HQ

MaizieD Thu 23-Aug-18 10:03:01

Thank you for a rational post, Jaycee5 flowers

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 10:15:16

John Humphries worked his way to his present job. I am sure others did too .

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 10:18:14

Unusual to read support for a Blairite ?

trisher Thu 23-Aug-18 10:24:33

There has always been a perception of public school over repesentation at the BBC and it would be interesting to know how far this is true. After all why not know the background of those deciding what and who is seen on public media? It could in fact be getting increasingly worse. As opportunities for young people dry up and they become the first generation to be worse off than their parents those working for the BBC may well be introducing their offsping as unpaid interns and so blocking access for poorer children. I'd like to know more about that.
And yes we could do it for other organisations as well. Asking why that isn't being done already really isn't a valid argument for not doing it. Start with the Beeb and move on.

petra Thu 23-Aug-18 10:25:12

Wasn't it Tony Benn who said " if you are paid for the work you do, you are working class"

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 10:28:09

Let’s just brand people , not on the forehead but perhaps the arm

gillybob Thu 23-Aug-18 10:30:58

I think the point that Alan Miburn was trying to make is that would people like John Humphrey’s have the same chances to “make it” today ? Alan Miburn suggested probably not !

Also discussed is why does a child need 5 levels to get a practical apprenticeship ? What about the non academic children ? What do they do ?

trisher Thu 23-Aug-18 10:31:37

Isn't it funny how when a perfectly logical argument is made someone will move on to the ridiculous, possibly because they really have no answer to the argument but can only post silly suggestions.

gillybob Thu 23-Aug-18 10:33:28

I think the class system is alive and well throughout the UK except there are now a lot more of them . Working class is an aspiration for many . We now have lower working class and probably even two lower bands than that . Disgusting .