Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn / BBC declare social class of employees?

(509 Posts)
POGS Thu 23-Aug-18 00:23:58

It is said Corbyn will today (Thursday) announce how Labour will reform the BBC. If this turns out to be false news then I apologise now.

It is being discussed in the media how one of his /Labours ideas is for the BBC to declare the ' Social Class ' of employees.

If this is even a thought I find that principal very alarming and if true I expect the Labour Party to lead by example and do the same for all employees including the Shadow Cabinet and all MP's.

How do you work out a persons Social Class? By Wealth, Education, Family background?

I would tell somebody requiring that of me to ' Go Forth'.

lemongrove Sat 01-Sep-18 19:36:03

no country is completely classless [ but who said it was?]
social snobbery continues in Australia and the US, just as in other countries, the difference nowadays is that money is the overriding factor, as anyone from any class may stay at the Ritz or a fancy restaurant if they have wealth.
Things [class] are not what they formerly were.

POGS Sat 01-Sep-18 19:36:50

trisher

Why is the BBC employee , those who work for or produce programmes for the BBC a special breed to want to know their Social Class. ? Why is it being trotted out under the label of ' transparency'? Why not their political allegiance, sexual orientation , race etc.

You espouse your opinion but do you have any thought to the above question ?

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 19:47:52

But Jalima even amongst convict descendants there are social class divisions

Gosh trisher I never knew
Fancy that.

What would we ignoramuses on GN do without you to teach us all these interesting facts.

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 19:49:24

Do people really not know all application forms now ask for your ethnic origins and if you have a disability? Monitoring is standard practice.

POGS Sat 01-Sep-18 19:53:31

You keep deviating from answering a very simple question !

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 19:54:26

[sigh]

Yes
That has been the norm for years. However, these results are not published except as a general statistic, nor do they ask about your parents' social standing/income/career path or whether or not they are a member of the aristocracy.

POGS Sat 01-Sep-18 20:00:22

Not ALL forms/applications ask for your ethnic origin or disability.

It depends on what you are applying for and there are many things that information is perfectly agreeable to be asked .

What forms/applications do you know of that asks for your Social Class?

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 20:07:04

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=my+old+man%27s+a+dustma&qpvt=my+old+man%27s+a+dustma&view=detail&mid=2A87CDEB7986381AE2682A87CDEB7986381AE268&&FORM=VRDGAR

(actually, he wasn't, but I liked that song!)