Gransnet forums

News & politics

Northern Ireland and Brexit

(364 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 29-Sep-18 10:42:25

An Irishman tries yet again to explain the huge Brexit problem with NI. In response to yet another airy dismissal by Boris Johnson:

Start

Patrick Kielty @patrickielty
And please.... please don't tell me it's "our money" or that the UK government would have done it anyway because I can't be bothered to take you by the hand, lead you to a corner and explain simple things in words of one syllable

1. Northern Ireland is made up of a majority of Unionists (as in the Conservative and Unionist Party) and, believe it or not, a rather large minority of Nationalists (as in Irish Nationalists)

2. These Irish Nationalists don’t see themselves as British but rather inconveniently as Irish (who knew?)

3. For over 30 years we killed each other because of these differences which means Northern Ireland is nothing like Camden or Westminster.

4. The Good Friday Agreement ended that violence by the following devious magic - Unionists were guaranteed that Northern Ireland would be part of the UK until the majority voted otherwise.

The Irish was border was removed and the island linked so Nationalists could pretend they were already living in a United Ireland (yes, Tony Blair did slight of hand much better than you)

5. Some of these Nationalists then accepted being part of the UK as their day to day lives were essentially Irish.

6. This cunning plan was sold to us on the basis that we were all part of the EU therefore fixation on nationality was so last World War.

7. Implementing the Good Friday Agreement was torturous (think Brexit with actual bombs, not metaphorical suicide vests) but we finally made peace. Yet 20 years later NI remains a divided society.

8. Thanks to your glorious Brexit vision Northern Ireland will become more divided as some form of economic border checks will become part of daily lives.

9. If those checks take place between NI and Ireland, the Nationalists who were once happy being part of the UK will change their mind.

10. If they take place in the Irish Sea some Unionists will be livid. However they'll still support being part of the UK (the clue is in the Unionist bit)

11. Your Brexit lies have opened a Pandora’s box for Northern Ireland. It's one reason why the majority of people in NI voted to remain in the EU (almost as if they knew more about the fragile equilibrium of their politics than you)

12. Barely mentioned before Brexit, a border poll is now inevitable thanks to your monumental ignorance.

13. When that poll is eventually held the Nationalists who were once content being part of a Northern Ireland within the UK and EU will vote to leave the UK to feel as Irish and European as they did before Brexit.

14. The poll will be much closer thanks to your Brexit folly and could easily be lost by Unionists, breaking up the UK.

15. Any break up of the Union will be your fault (a tad inconvenient as a member of the Conservative and er, Unionist party)

16. The EU is not responsible for your blundering lack of foresight. Like most people in Northern Ireland they were happy with the status quo.

17. By the time the penny drops that you can’t preserve the Union you want without the one you don’t, it will be too late.

18. You will be remembered not as the Churchillian visionary you delude yourself to be but the ignoramus who triggered the break up of the UK.

19. If there’s any justice all this will come to pass when you're Prime Minister so you can finally swim in the constitutional sewage you've created (though we all know you’ll be in Nice with your trotters up)

20. Meantime, if you’re so concerned about keeping Northern Ireland totally aligned with the rest of the UK where’s your support for our same sex marriage and women’s right to choose? Your silence is deafening.

End

In a nutshell, so to speak grin

crystaltipps Mon 10-Dec-18 20:47:33

Yes I’ve got an Irish grandparent long dead, but I am hoping to get Irish passport along with thousands of others.

hdh74 Mon 10-Dec-18 21:47:33

I didn't vote because I just felt we weren't being given enough factual information for me to make a real decision. I for one would like another vote so I could have the chance now the real issues are coming out as opposed to the hog-wash we were fed before the referendum that should never have been held that way. A referendum held to shore up a failing PM (fail), made worse by a general election to shore up another failing PM (fail) which led to an unholy political alliance to shore up a failing party (fail) - where's that big duvet to climb under until someone with slightly more sense than personal ambition can be found (is there such a politician in this country?).

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Dec-18 17:20:52

"The European Union and the Irish Government both confirm they will not erect a border on the island of Ireland in the event of no deal.

It's a non-issue orchestrated by the Remain camp to frustrate Brexit."

The above is a statement put out by Nigel Dodds MP Belfast North.

paddyann Fri 21-Dec-18 18:10:27

How will the good people of NI like having British troops back on their streets? I could make a guess that they wont be thrilled but hey I could be wrong...the DUP will likely be pleased!

nigglynellie Fri 21-Dec-18 18:42:24

You know that for a certain fact paddyann, and that the DUP would be pleased? Think you're being just a little bit presumptuous!!!

aggie Fri 21-Dec-18 18:45:09

Paddyann , is correct

annep Fri 21-Dec-18 23:19:46

Please explain Paddyann the DUP would be glad to see our troops back on the streets. I think that's very unfair.

annep Fri 21-Dec-18 23:20:46

that should be explain why....

varian Fri 04-Jan-19 19:03:21

There is "no way" the Democratic Unionist Party will back Theresa May's Brexit deal, a leading figure has said.

Sammy Wilson told the BBC he was "more alarmed" than ever about what the deal would mean for Northern Ireland.

The DUP, which props up Theresa May's government, has held talks with the PM in recent days as she tries to persuade MPs to back the deal later this month.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46757459

The DUP, who do not represent the majority of folk in Northen Ireland, have a totally illogical belief in a hard brexit, with its inevitable devastating consequenses for our hard won peace in NI.

EllanVannin Fri 04-Jan-19 19:14:12

I wonder how many people rue the day they voted for Brexit ? Why oh why did they do it ? What was their real reason ?? Answers on a postage stamp !

petra Sat 05-Jan-19 20:38:35

EllanVannin
rue the day
We will be having a party to end all parties. There will be a hog roast with Welsh spring lamb. All wine and beer will be British, needless to say everything will be British.
There will be a bonfire and fireworks where a friend wants to burn an effigy.

mcem Sat 05-Jan-19 20:48:53

How can you have a hog roast with lamb??
Aaaaah the intelligence of the rabid brexiter!

Grandad1943 Sat 05-Jan-19 21:03:00

That's the best one I have seen yet from any Brexitier. A hog roast with Welsh Lamb.

Love it. grin

crystaltipps Sat 05-Jan-19 21:08:00

Hope all your clothes will be made in Britain , and better check the cutlery. But just keep isolating yourselves. I expect you’ll be down at Weatherspoons for your tea. Enjoy?

EllanVannin Sat 05-Jan-19 22:10:23

I'm thinking more about your deliveries of " hog roasts and lamb !". When are you proposing such items will be there when you require them ?
Liverpool and Ireland use ferry services which carry all manner of goods by lorries which board these ferries and whose travels take them all around Europe exporting/importing goods including perishable items such as foodstuffs.

These foodstuffs could well be affected if there's a no-deal Brexit in which this country could be by-passed in favour of the continent. Nothing has been set in stone so far as trade agreements are concerned the ports are worried and anxious as traders could stop using the UK to get to Ireland and Northern Ireland, instead going straight to the continent.

Ports have never been given clarity by the government should there be a no-deal. This is bad news for Northern Ireland and its borders as it will create friction as well as delays and that has a knock-on effect for the deliveries to supermarkets if no trade declarations exist.

I don't think many Brexiteers realise the implications of leaving the EU.

The EU supplies funding for agriculture ( help towards fattening your hogs and lambs )
Also businesses in coastal areas such as Cornwall and West coast in general.
Wales received more funding from the EU than it paid back for the privilege, so is the UK going to continue with the funding when we leave ??
Once the EU funding stops in Wales the farming industry's had it and it can only spell damage and hardship to farmers. ! What will happen to the 68% exports that Wales sends to the EU ? Abandonment ? Catastrophe ?

varian Fri 11-Jan-19 12:29:14

No-deal Brexit would be catastrophic for UK farmers, warns NFU

www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/04/no-deal-brexit-would-be-catastrophic-uk-farmers-warns-nfu

varian Fri 11-Jan-19 12:31:08

Theresa May is still not listening to critics of her Brexit deal and is putting a plan to Parliament that is already "dead", Arlene Foster has said.

The DUP leader said proposals to give Stormont a say over new EU rules if the border backstop took effect after Brexit added nothing.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46807083

varian Mon 28-Jan-19 15:07:06

The backstop element of the Brexit plan is "not going to change", Ireland's deputy prime minister has said.

The proposal - aimed at preventing a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland - played a major part in Theresa May's deal being voted down by a historic margin last week.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47019977

But Simon Coveney told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show that the EU would not ratify a deal without it.

varian Sat 02-Mar-19 11:12:39

Award winning colimnist Patrick Coburn, warns in the Independent of the risk of brexit to peace in Ireland.

"The English are blindly driving Northern Ireland to conflict – the fear is that they are too stupid to care. A return to violence is not a worst-case scenario but an inevitability if a hard border returns, as it will if there is a full Brexit"

www.independent.co.uk/voices/northern-ireland-backstop-the-troubles-theresa-may-brexit-european-union-red-lines-a8803336.html

jura2 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:22:57

And now Dominic Raab has the gall to complain that the EU is being totally unfair in 'using the NI/Eire border' to make life difficult for us !?!

varian Thu 07-Mar-19 14:06:13

Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley facing calls to quit over 'insulting' Troubles deaths comments

www.politicshome.com/news/uk/home-affairs/justice-system/news/102338/northern-ireland-secretary-karen-bradley-facing

andycameron69 Sat 09-Mar-19 14:54:21

a good fab WTO Brexit is what the majority of those who voted, for

OUT

not a deal that keeps us in.
there were 2 choices::

Leave or Remain

Leave won .I am elated

grin

jura2 Sat 09-Mar-19 15:00:05

Francois, is that you?

Alexa Sat 09-Mar-19 15:06:14

My mother who was born and brought up in Ulster of Protestant stock and my Scottish father regarded her as an Irishwoman which she was of course , before partition. Both my parents were aware that the hostile passions and behaviour in Northern Ireland pertain mostly to the poorer sort of people of both factions. Not to the more prosperous among the population.

andycameron69 Sat 09-Mar-19 18:47:10

andy ici