Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, our Honourable friends the Brexiteers ...

(161 Posts)
jura2 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:34:59

Are you happy now?

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 17:28:59

and very nicely too, if I may say so

I must say I hadn't noticed either until you pointed it out MawBroon grin

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 17:33:54

Gladly, I posted in genuine distress and you basically told me to get on with it.

MawBroon Wed 14-Nov-18 17:39:05

Could you please tell me when and where?

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 17:45:25

Sorry I can't recall which of the threads, probably Spring time .....April at a guess.

petra Wed 14-Nov-18 17:48:45

As someone said: give it a rest.
What happened to following your doctors orders Re keeping away from GN.

jura2 Wed 14-Nov-18 18:13:59

Jane, I have been VERY quiet and very restrained lately, no?

MissAdventure- now this is truly, really bitchy, for sure.

oldbatty- they need a scapegoat- someone to bully. I have ket away- so they picked on you. Simple.

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 18:18:52

Oh my , this is too weird

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 18:19:43

Please is there some back story here?

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 18:20:38

No-one has said anything untoward to oldbatty on this thread - if they have please could you point it out jura?

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 18:22:07

Please is there some back story here? I don't think so, very weird
I have no idea, as I said mushrooms

and no-one has been unkind to you on here oldbatty

I even translated your Greek

MawBroon Wed 14-Nov-18 18:24:42

Sorry I can't recall which of the threads, probably Spring time .....April at a guess
Well I have no recollection I am afraid OldBatty but I probably don’t remember everything I said or did in the first months after I lost DH., I was in a pretty bad place myself.
But I apologise if I upset you, life can be hard and emotions all over the place after losing one’s life partner.

Baggs Wed 14-Nov-18 18:29:17

What is there for "our honourable friends the Brexiteers" to be happy about, jura? My reading of the news today suggests that they are not happy at all with the latest developments.

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 18:30:07

Sorry no, it wasn't after you had lost your husband. I was at my wits end re my elderly parents and you told me I should be glad to have them. You really have no idea.

Your side kicks on here have been only too happy to have a pop at me. I stand by my beliefs that this country can and should take people in who are struggling and destitute.

MawBroon Wed 14-Nov-18 18:32:15

OldBatty, I don’t have any “side kicks.”
If it was at any time in the last 12 months then it was after I lost DH as Saturday was. the anniversary of his death

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 18:33:42

OK thank you

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Nov-18 18:33:43

oldbatty we do take in those which are destitute. The problem is knowing those who are truly destitute and those who want to come to the UK for a "free ride".

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 18:36:12

There is no free ride, there is only exploitation.

petra Wed 14-Nov-18 18:46:20

Please, somebody put Jura out of her misery and tell her they're ? at the gossip.

Fennel Wed 14-Nov-18 19:18:05

oh not again jura.
Can't you see how you offend ?

Anniebach Wed 14-Nov-18 19:25:31

What on earth is this about ?

MawBroon Wed 14-Nov-18 19:28:02

jura2 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:34:59
Are you happy now ?

Little DGS ( 2 1/2) has taken to asking his mummy
“Are you happy, Mummy ?”
If the answer is “not really” because he is e.g. not eating his lunch, sitting on his bottom, or in some way doing something he shouldn’t be, he will then offer
“Want a cuddle?”

I hesitate to offer, but .......grin

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 19:30:11

What on earth is this about ?
Another mushroom joins the thread grin

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Nov-18 19:33:37

Cabinet backs Draft agreement.

Anniebach Wed 14-Nov-18 19:35:51

MissAdventure is never bitchy and Maw is kind to everyone

Jura was told by her doctor to stay off the forum ,

POGS Wed 14-Nov-18 19:53:01

jura

Well you know as much as anybody jura how difficult it can be to fight against the European Unions desire for a Federal State / Ever Closer Union.

As a Swiss national who is used to referendum after referendum the Swiss Government couldn't even follow the wish of the people in a referendum when the people voted to limit immigration could it? The EU wouldn't let it happen.

That brings us back to the ' no cherry picking ' abiding by the 4 Pillars / Freedoms even for countries such as Switzerland who are ' not even members of the European Union '!

It was said we have not given away our Sovereignty. Really?

It was said said we had control of our laws. Really?

It was said to anybody who raised the spectre of an EU Army they were virtually lying .

Brown signed off the b----y Lisbon Treaty but at that time the Lib Dems called for a Referendum over our continued membership fast forward 8 years and it was the devils work holding a Referendum . Labour/Lib Dems and Conservatives have all said at some stage the voters would have the chance of a Referendum over the UK and it's membership in the EU, although to listen and watch those who once said that now back peddling like crazy you could easily forget their hypocrisy.

As for the non stop crowing nobody was told about the Single Market / Customs Union well all I can say is they had not taken the time to listen to the likes of Cameron and Osborne who told us ' repeatedly ' , I think it was even in the 9 million pound Vote Remain circulars we all received. Obviously some people had a ruddy cloth ear.

I think the worst part of all this debacle for me as a Remainer is the sneering, name calling and point of view those who voted Leave were/are racist, xenophobic, uneducated . The fact our Parliament voted for a Referendum to take place asking the voter whether we Remain or Leave and then our parliamentarians elect to fight against the result instead of coming together to fight for a good deal has left me concerned where democracy has a place now in politics.

I came so close to voting Leave and the reason why I gave that credence was I felt the EU has a hold on it's members similar to the Stockholm Syndrome and I can honestly say if a 2nd Referendum took place my fear that politics would trump economics has proven to be a reality and I will ask myself if I want to be under the control of the EU in future.