Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bullying Remainers

(90 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Thu 15-Nov-18 13:50:39

I feel so sorry for Theresa May, she has bullying from all sides, even her own party, there was no way athe EEU were going to accept any proposal, let's face it without us they are lost, all the other members are broke, they need our money, so she was in a difficult position, she herself was a remaine but resolved to follow the will of the majority. No one will let her, everything she tries she is shorvdown. She has more grit and determination than the cowards that are browbeating her. Those that have resigned good riddance. I personally hope we leave with no deal and save a 98 million divorce bill. We will survive whatever is thrown at us, but this whole episode has shown what dreadful people there are who will try to destroy a decent person to their own ends.

notanan2 Thu 15-Nov-18 13:55:51

She is equally criticised by leavers Remain have no monopoly on giving TM a hard time over this (and they arent the ones who put her in this position either)

notanan2 Thu 15-Nov-18 14:00:21

& het pre PM legacy of misery from the Home Office dont exactly scream "good person" regardless of your Brexit stance.

She is no passive passenger in this so dont make her something shes not for YOUR own end. In fact I doubt she would describe HERSELF as "nice". I think she would prefer things like strong, effective etc etc...she has never tried to be or claimed to be nice!

petra Thu 15-Nov-18 14:16:19

Luckylegs9
We are not negotiating with the EEU, completely different countries, and we will not be handing over 98 million.
We will pay 39 billion

mcem Thu 15-Nov-18 14:26:01

Why is the title of the thread Bullying Remainers ?
She'd expect robust responses from her opponents but not from those who just hours ago, supported her stand!

Bridgeit Thu 15-Nov-18 14:26:05

I agree Lukylegs9, Dreadful behaviour & getting worse by the minute with most of them letting her take the brunt of it.
I along with many others can’t wait to see what alternatives these backstabbers come up with, there doesn’t appear to be lot of alternatives .

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Nov-18 14:49:42

I am so fed up with all of it, that no deal is sounding better by the minute!!!

She has been stabbed in the back, and now repeatedly humiliated by members of her own cabinet. I think she deserves a long relaxing holiday.

All those who are against the no deal scenario are worried about a traffic jam at Dover and more paperwork to take their doggies on holiday. When they should be worried about an EU Army (which remainers said would never happen) which in turn will lead to our youngsters conscription into it!!!! Not for me thank you very much!!

Anything is better than the likes of Corbyn Abbott and McDonnell anywhere near the keys to No.10!!!!

mcem Thu 15-Nov-18 15:12:12

Sorry Granny Gravy but I believe there is a lot more to it than your very simplistic analysis!
If only it were that easy!

crystaltipps Thu 15-Nov-18 15:18:28

All the other EU countries aren’t broke btw.most of them have higher growth and productivity than us. It’s the hard line Brexiteers who are the bullies in the Tory party, get your facts right please.

Smileless2012 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:05:39

I agree Luckylegs and whatever happens IMO she can hold her head high and I hope she does.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that if and when she does step down it'll be with a huge sigh of relief.

Nonnie Thu 15-Nov-18 16:10:29

IMO the problem lies with the MPs who campaigned for us to leave. They made such unrealistic promises that they now have to blame someone because the deal they promised is unachievable. They have no choice but to resign or take the blame and admit they were wrong and that isn't likely to happen.

I also think it is rather naive to blame the rest of the EU, what would we do in their situation? Of course they have to look after their own interests, why wouldn't they?

As I have said before, whoever was negotiating Brexit would be in exactly the same situation as TM & co because they are just the figureheads, the civil servants will be doing all the real work and they would be the same people whoever was fronting it all.

It was destined to be utter chaos and I don't understand why anyone is surprised.

M0nica Thu 15-Nov-18 16:24:05

I think we have the best compromise here. Yes, the Leavers won the referendum, but only by a squeak, a week either way and the result could have been difference

This agreement seems to neatly square the circle between taking us out of Europe, while respecting how very nearly half the electorate voted to stay in.

Both sides hate it, so it must be just right.

Madgran77 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:31:24

I am wondering why Dominic Raab ever took the job of Brexit Secrteray and had a huge part in negotiating and writing the document and then promptly resigned when said document was published!!! Outrageous!

Jane10 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:48:37

M0nica I think you've hit the nail on the head. Both sides hate the deal so it's probably just right.
Boy oh boy Putin must be loving this.

MawBroon Thu 15-Nov-18 16:49:54

Both sides hate it, so it must be just right

Sums it up M0nica.

Cold Thu 15-Nov-18 17:25:03

Isn't it Jacob Rees Mogg, a prominent leaver, who has issued a letter of no confidence in Theresa May and discussed which people would be a better PM- totally stabbing her in the back.

jura2 Thu 15-Nov-18 17:25:29

English is a funny language- as you can read the title completely differently.

She is not being bullied by Remainers, but by her own Cabinet, extreme Leavers. No?!?

JenniferEccles Thu 15-Nov-18 17:43:29

Don't all these back stabbers realise that the horrifying outcome of all this could be Corbyn getting into no. 10?

That of course would be infinitely worse than a bad deal, no deal or even no Brexit

stree Thu 15-Nov-18 17:50:45

Which EU countires have higher growth and productivity than UK?

stree Thu 15-Nov-18 17:53:52

German GDP growth figures have yesterday been released for the third quarter this year. Official numbers now show that the German economy actually contracted by 0.2% in the third quarter, 0.6% below what was forecast. Meanwhile, Italy is completely stagnant. This latest release comfortably puts the UK at the top of the EU ‘big four’ growth league…

stree Thu 15-Nov-18 17:55:06

crystaltipps?? Where did you get your info?

varian Thu 15-Nov-18 20:16:48

Not just Putin, the instigator of brexit, but the whole world, is laughing at us.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Nov-18 21:12:42

UK is performing above EU on growth and Youth employment

varian Thu 15-Nov-18 21:18:53

UK GDP ranks 18th out of 28 EU countries

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

GrandmaMoira Thu 15-Nov-18 21:26:40

I don't understand how the OP says "bullying remainers". It's the hardline Brexiter's in May's own party who are bullying her. For ordinary people, it is the Brexiters who have been rude to Remainers saying things like "you lost, tough luck, shut up now".