Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can this government really continue?

(205 Posts)
trisher Sat 12-Jan-19 11:32:18

Is there anyone out there who can really still support this government? It bought the DUP to keep it in power, it has been defeated in the House of Commons in spite of that and its policy of Universal credit has just been thrown out of court because of the way it treats people. www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/11/four-single-mothers-win-high-court-benefits-battle-against-dwp-universal-credit?CMP=fb_gu&fbclid=IwAR1gx3cqrJ5ailab45F4KiBlYqm1SWMSu6gABIRw_2vGheNkA8y1gqGQ6-Y
Surely they have to GO NOW!!!

Anniebach Fri 18-Jan-19 08:38:35

POGS. yes I remember you accepted my apology .

The evening C4 news showed the proof of Corbyn campaigning to bring the likes of Derek Hatton back into the party whilst party members were fighting back after the disastrous 1983 election , and his entertaining IRA leaders in Westminster just weeks after the Brighton bombing whilst his colleagues were grieving.

So yes, I am certaintly not in step with new party members, they didn’t get doors slammed in their faces, were not sworn at or jeered at , didn’t fight to get the country accept the Labour Party again. We in the eighties took the flack for the actions of the unions in the seventies and it took 14 years to make Labour acceptable to voters again.

He betrayed the party then and is now doing the same again.

trisher Fri 18-Jan-19 10:49:28

Ah yes debate the history of Corbyn and the Labour Party and meanwhile the "disaster capitalists" (thanks varian) are counting their money and laughing all the way to the bank! (which they already own). Really it does make you think that a country gets the government it deserves. The problem being of course that it won't be the posters on here who will suffer when things go to pot, it will be the younger generation who will find themselves with a much poorer living standard.

varian Fri 18-Jan-19 10:53:57

It is true that younger people would suffer the most, but all of us would suffer if this brexit nonsense is allowed to go ahead.

varian Sat 19-Jan-19 14:28:35

The truth is that the Brexit referendum is totally discredited. The win was based on outright and proven lies by our own politicians, illegal electoral fraud by the Leave campaign, and interference by the Russian government and Cambridge Analytica. I cannot think of a constitutional vote in this country that has been more discredited. On top of that, it is increasingly being shown that there is no way to leave the EU and come out better off, so any form of Brexit will leave the UK worse off than if it stayed in the EU.

This is one of those moments where the politicians should, and normally would, admit that the experiment hasn’t worked. Whether they return to the people to ask their will again, now armed with a lot more facts, or they just accept their responsibility as our elected representatives and stop Brexit

medium.com/@tswriting/brexiteers-dont-understand-british-democracy-5df1ad88d8c9