Gransnet forums

News & politics

Younger people’s views beyond March 2019.

(181 Posts)
MarthaBeck Fri 15-Feb-19 13:16:08

I have read a great deal in these columns about Brexit and strong differing views on having a People’s Vote based on views in 2019, including those of young people. We had a
‪deep discussion on Brexit over a cuppa at our older people’s club this morning. Though Mrs May nor @jeremycorbyn would have been very happy about the views expressed.‬ There was strong support for a @peoplesvote_uk that would give young people the opportunity to have their say.‬

Yet, I have not heard such strong views expressed in these columns, even though Brexit is more about the future of the UK in many decades to come. Ironically, in the years when most reading these columns will no longer be affected. How many of you expect to be around in 30 to 40 years, so why do we still try to deny our teenage 16 + grand children their views, three of my 16+ Grandchildren are preparing to plan their University course and future jobs? Why should I deny them the right to define the UK future .

Are we so prejudiced that we continue to oppose allowing the Electorate including 16+ to have a view in 2019 on the future of the UK ?

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 07:19:55

Don't let people put you off, MarthaBeck.
Everyone is entitled to express their views. Everyone is of equal value on this planet regardless of their ability or opportunity to achieve a good education.
Some people aren't wise enough to understand this.
Its rude to correct grammar,spelling etc unless asked to. Some people just can't stop themselves no matter how often they're told.

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 19:43:46

May promises parliamentarians will have the last word on whether the UK exits the European Union without a deal.

www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/02/brexit-theresa-turn-british-mps-choice-190226160643676.html

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 11:00:42

New polling carried out by BMG on behalf of OFOC and FFS shows overwhelming support among those too young to vote in 2016 for a People’s Vote on the final Brexit deal - 74% want the opportunity to vote.

Excluding don’t knows, 84% would prefer to remain in the European Union. In a referendum between the deal that has been negotiated and remaining in the European Union, of those certain to vote, 87% would vote to remain.
73% think it would be unfair if the UK leaves the EU without them being able to vote on the issue.

In a startling finding for British democracy and the state of Parliament’s outreach to young voters, only 4% have had contact with their MP about Brexit. Only 2% of those too young to vote in 2016 think Britain’s standing in the world has increased since 23rd of June 2016.

Of those who express a preference, 92% would prefer to keep freedom of movement, while those who would be angry if the UK leaves the EU over the next few months without a public vote outnumber those who would be happy by more than 6-1.

www.ofoc.co.uk/poll_shows_those_too_young_to_vote_in_2016_overwhelmingly_support_remain

starbird Mon 11-Mar-19 14:36:26

I think any poll on the subject of Brexit should include a list of 20 questions or true/false statements about the EU.

Then the vote of anyone getting less than half correct should be discounted.

starbird Mon 11-Mar-19 14:40:08

Has any country’s standing in the world increased in the last two years? Even Canada’s Trudeau is in trouble!