Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is there any Tory you would TRUST to take over from Mrs May?

(115 Posts)
jura2 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:59:53

Who? I can't think of anyone ...

Nanalex Fri 22-Mar-19 01:59:31

What about Dominic Raab? I don’t think he lied and he stood up to Mrs May and Hammond..
My first choice would be Jacob Rees-Mogg but he’s said repeatedly that he’s not interested.
The Home Secretary seems made of stern stuff..

boat Fri 22-Mar-19 04:30:25

newnanny

How can you say Boris was a very good Mayor of London?

He was a lazy and incompetent Mayor, often late for meetings and winging it because he hadn't bothered to read the background papers.

Add in all the other defects that posters have mentioned and frankly he is probably the last person that any sensible person would want running this country.

crystaltipps Fri 22-Mar-19 06:52:16

Boris was a terrible mayor of London , at least 2 of his deputies were sacked for some kind of misconduct, he wasted money, lied about what he would do etc., he was good at prsssing flesh at cocktail parties for his wealthy chums and photo ops, but that’s about it.

RosieLeah Fri 22-Mar-19 06:57:15

This is the only reason that Mrs May is still Prime Minister. No-one can come up with an alternative.

Anja Fri 22-Mar-19 07:00:52

Funny, or sad, but that’s true. Oddly enough I could name several from other parties who I do trust to take over.

Nicenanny3 Fri 22-Mar-19 08:58:58

Good grief I know how Boris feels now. I think some on here need help with their anger management. All because Leave won the referendum and they can't accept the result, how sad.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:05:08

niceyou know how BJ feels? Really? How do you know that? Perhaps you need to go on a fantasy management course as a Leave supporter

Eloethan Fri 22-Mar-19 09:20:03

What has Boris Johnson got to do with the leave vote?

I assume you have no sensible response to make Nicenanny because all the comments about BJ's abysmal performance as London Mayor are factual. You stated he was a great success but the facts show otherwise.

Aside from the fact that BJ was a profligate Mayor and there were many reports of his lack of application to the job, he was a disgraceful choice for Foreign Secretary (perhaps illustrating Theresa May's lack of judgment). If you think describing people as "piccanninies" and likening a woman in a burkha to a letter box, or writing a poem about Erdogan having sex with a goat is civilised behaviour that says a lot about you.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:31:14

It’s precisely because nice has no response to the valid criticisms of the ability BJ that she retreats to the safe fantasy world of the Leave voter. From now on every disagreement including which pizza topping is best will be shouted down by Leave supporters as proof we are bitter Remainers

Ginny42 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:47:18

I'm not a Tory voter, but the only one I would trust is Ken Clarke. What a pity he's not younger and staying on.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:52:25

But I suppose it’s because he has no political ambition and is therefore playing no games that we trust him and that he ‘tells it as it is’.

luluaugust Fri 22-Mar-19 09:54:02

I would have said our local MP but he has completely disregarded the voters wishes here and so many people are now saying they won't vote again as it is a waste of their time. What a mess.

Dinahmo Fri 22-Mar-19 14:28:04

Many politicians, business men and women, the head of the Bank of England etc after the referendum predicted that the country would suffer economically. But, none of the said it would occur immediately but after Brexit and, as we all know that hasn't happened yet. (And may it never)

varian Fri 22-Mar-19 14:42:40

The Brexit debate has been dominated by conflicting claims about how leaving the EU will affect the British economy.

Doom-laden predictions from Remainers before the vote were dismissed as “Project Fear”, while Leavers’ promises of extra NHS funding and fantastic new post-Brexit trade deals have been widely discredited.

With billions put aside for no-deal planning, there is little doubt that uncertainty around Brexit has affected the national coffers – but what is the total cost and the long-term outlook?

How much has Brexit cost so far?. The economic impact of the Brexit vote is being felt even as the clock ticks down until Britain’s scheduled 29 March exit date.

Last May, Bank of England boss Mark Carney told MPs that the cost of Brexit to the UK economy was already £40bn and counting.

www.theweek.co.uk/93785/how-much-money-has-brexit-cost-the-uk