Gransnet forums

News & politics

Britain 'risks heading to US levels of inequality'

(60 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Mon 13-May-19 23:10:04

Nobel prize winning economist, Sir Angus Deaton says that the UK could become as unequal as the US, which is one of the most unequal nations on earth.

But the that's exactly what the Buffoon Johnson, Farage and those who agree that this is how the world works want and has been, getting gradually more extreme, since Thatcher.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 14-May-19 22:46:07

Thanks for clarifying annep1. I think the NHS was nibbled at for quite a few years and then chunks were bitten out of it. I have never been able to see how you can have the National Health Service and profit directly from it.

TwiceAsNice Wed 15-May-19 08:18:04

I have worked hard all my life. At nearly 66 I am still working part time. I really enjoy my job and intend to continue as long as I can. However it goes a long way to supplementing my state and 2 tiny private pensions which would not be enough to pay for everything if I didn’t work. Not luxuries but everyday bills. So not sure what will happen when I eventually can’t work any more.

I feel the benefit system is flawed ( never claimed) I think people who are genuinely unable to work should be paid enough for the to have a decent lifestyle but it should be made harder to claim for people who could work but choose not to. I don’t know what the answer is but the one thing we should all be grateful for is the NHS

GracesGranMK3 Wed 15-May-19 08:41:06

I would guess that, both from the standard of living you perceive as one you could not manage on - and yes, I do appreciate that you are working after state pension age because of that belief -and the fact that you believe the benefits system is not yet tough enough, you know little or nothing either about the poverty many now live in, or the benefits system twice as nice

sodapop Wed 15-May-19 08:44:17

Yes we should be grateful for our NHS but our ever increasing expectations of the service are putting it at risk.
We cannot continue to have a world class service without more investment, this is not the only problem I know but it looms large.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 15-May-19 09:23:32

So would you be happy if it were to become like the American system sodapop?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 09:50:33

At least we trust women in the U.K. will be subject to what Alabama is intending to impose on its women.

Father can now be grandfather, in a heartbeat.

Ghastly religious perversion

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 09:54:32

Thinking about it I correct myself?

Northern Ireland

Another case in point. More religious perversion.

MaizieD Wed 15-May-19 10:06:49

sodapop

Rather than copy and paste it to here (and derailing this thread even further as it is not about the NHS) I'll refer you to my post of 15.31 on this thread:

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1261299-Our-NHS-is-being-privatised?pg=2

It's the will to invest that is lacking, not the money.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 15-May-19 10:20:12

Inequality of health care is another inequality we are rapidly moving towards Maizie. Indeed we are already seeing the outcomes of this. However, it is such a big subject so worth concentrating on elsewhere.