Gransnet forums

News & politics

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse...

(63 Posts)
GrandmaKT Mon 20-May-19 20:02:18

I am getting increasingly alarmed by the escalating trade war between the USA and China.
If we leave the EU, we will very soon be in the position of wanting to strike trade deals with both of these super nations (and their various satellites). I can see us being dictated to by Trump as to who we can and cannot deal with.
It seems to me that this is not a good time to be setting up shop on our own. Strength being in numbers I would feel much more secure remaining in the EU. I'd be interested in hearing any theories that indicate we would be in a stronger trading position by leaving.

rosecarmel Tue 21-May-19 18:29:38

I think the US (currently) operates more like a corporation and its subsidiary than it does a republic -

Jaycee5 Tue 21-May-19 18:30:47

rosecarmel I agree about Chinese tat. It is one reason that I rarely buy anything from Amazon now. Anything that isn't a recognised name is likely to come from China. There was a time when the country of origin of a product used to be part of its description.

Onestepbeyond Tue 21-May-19 21:22:02

@rosecarmel
wow - ok
Can you show us some evidence -

Urmstongran Tue 21-May-19 22:22:42

Irishlady ??

JacquiG Tue 21-May-19 23:38:52

Suggest we invest in what my sister calls 'tangibles'. Basic things like quilts, bed linen, tools, phone etc and anything which needs repair, so if we Brexit and it all goes pearshaped, at least you will be warm and comfy.

rosecarmel Wed 22-May-19 00:11:46

Onestepbeyond, I've no evidence to support my opinion, only considerations which anyone, if interested, can research and draw their own conclusions, too-

The US government owns corporations -- some temporarily-

The number of business people in political positions continues to increase, influencing policy outcomes, which can tend to benefit specific citizens/sectors/groups, opposed to the country as a whole-

The indifference to nepotism, cronyism, in every level of government, from federal to local, including associated businesses-

The government is responsible for expanding corporate rights, allowing corporations to spend money on political initiatives, to protect political and business interests -- whereas paying customers/tax payers/citizens have to fight through endless streams of virtual person menus via phone, sometimes for weeks, sometimes months, to be awarded with the money taken from us by corporations, due to their mistake, mistakes that the government doesn't protect us from, because they are "banking" on us giving up, because it's completely legal for corporations to make it increasingly difficult for customers/tax payers/citizens to reach resolution, because they both profit from it, eventually ..

Both business and government are essential and necessary, but the level in which both are intertwined has proven to be, in itself, not favorable for most citizens -- because .. government is being run more like a business ..

Shizam Wed 22-May-19 22:12:17

Trumpity Trump is forever. He will win next admin and then over see the one after that. Then the awful Trump children. It’s forever! Vote tomorrow to stick with EU. It is flawed, but we are better sticking together against this mad world. And don’t get me started on Putin. Or China.

jura2 Wed 22-May-19 22:22:04

Excellent post Grandad.

'However, on our own as a single nation, or isolated as a single company, all should think on that.'

and Jeremy Corbyn should be the first one here to do so.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 22:35:06

In that?
I doubt Grandad1943 knows the proper use of 'In that' as it's sprinkled like confetti throughout his diatribes.

Grandad1943 Wed 22-May-19 23:09:47

Oh, I see the the spelling and grammar police have once again returned to the forum.

Well sea sum of us neber got much off a edumcation sea ass we only went two coouncle estate schools but we ain't don so bAd

Pathetic GabriellaG54 in every sense.

rosecarmel Thu 23-May-19 02:23:48

Nuttin bettah tuh do .. smile

I hadda nun smack my knuckles -- once ..

Grandad1943 Thu 23-May-19 07:02:23

Whoooo rosecarmel, I always dreamed of a Nun smacking my knuckles and much else when I was younger. ?