Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ten damning conclusions from the new UN poverty report

(123 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Fri 24-May-19 08:22:39

These are extracts The Common Space has made from the report. My thoughts are that surely anyone who voted for this wretched state of affairs could not vote for the government that caused it a second time - not if they have an ounce of humanity.

Dickensian Britain
"It might seem to some observers that the Department of Work and Pensions has been tasked with designing a digital and sanitised version of the nineteenth century workhouse, made infamous by Charles Dickens, rather than seeking to respond creatively and compassionately to the real needs of those facing widespread economic insecurity in an age of deep and rapid transformation brought about by automation, zero-hour contracts and rapidly growing inequality."

Employment is no escape from poverty
“Almost 60 per cent of those in poverty in the United Kingdom are in families where someone works, and a shocking 2.9 million people are in poverty in families where all adults work full-time. According to the Equalities and Human Rights Commission, 10 per cent of workers over 16 are in insecure employment. And 10 years after the 2008 financial crisis, employees’ median real earnings are, remarkably, still below pre-crisis levels.”

Eat or heat
“People said they had to choose either to eat or heat their homes. Children are showing up at school with empty stomachs, and schools are collecting food and sending it home because teachers know their students will otherwise go hungry. And 2.5 million people in the United Kingdom survive with incomes no more than 10 per cent above the poverty line –just one crisis away from falling into poverty.”

Homeless Britain
“In England, homelessness rose 60 per cent between 2011 and 2017 and rough sleeping rose 165 per cent from 2010 to 2018. The charity Shelter estimates that 320,000 people in Britain are now homeless, and recent research by Crisis suggests that 24,000 people are sleeping rough or on public transportation –more than twice government estimates. Almost 600 people died homeless in England and Wales in 2017 alone, a 24 per cent increase in the past five years.26There were 1.2 million people on the social housing waiting list in 2017, but less than 6,000 homes were built that year.”

The disappearing safety net
“The Special Rapporteur heard time and again about important public programmes being pared down, the loss of institutions that previously protected vulnerable people, social care services at a breaking point, and local government and devolved administrations stretched far too thin. Considering the significant resources available in the country and the sustained and widespread cuts to social support, which have resulted in significantly worse outcomes, the policies pursued since 2010 amount to retrogressive measures in clear violation of the country’s human rights obligations.”

Ideological, not economic
“The ideological rather than economic motivation for the cutbacks is demonstrated by the fact that the United Kingdom spends £78 billion per year to reduce or alleviate poverty, quite apart from the cost of benefits; £1 in every £5 spent on public services goes to repair what poverty has done to people’s lives.40Cuts to preventive services mean that needs go unmet and people in crisis are pushed toward services that cannot turn them away but cost far more, like emergency rooms and expensive temporary housing.”

Harm done by Universal Credit
“The Special Rapporteur heard countless stories of severe hardships suffered under UC. These reports are corroborated by an increasing body of research that suggests UC is being implemented in ways that negatively impact claimants’ mental health, finances and work prospects. Where UC has fully rolled out, food bank demand has increased, a link belatedly acknowledged by the Work and Pensions Secretary in February 2019.”

Sanctions regime
“One of the key features of UC involves the imposition of strict conditions enforced by draconian sanctions for even minor infringements. As the system grows older, some penalties will last years. The Special Rapporteur reviewed seemingly endless evidence illustrating the harsh and arbitrary nature of some sanctions, as well as the devastating effects of losing access to benefits for weeks or months at a time.”

Women and poverty
“Given the structural disadvantages faced by women, it is particularly disturbing that so many policy changes since 2010 have taken a greater toll on them. Changes to tax and benefit policies made since May 2010 will by 2021–2022 have reduced support for women far more than for men. Reductions in social care services translate to an increased burden on primary caregivers, who are disproportionately women. Under UC, single payments to an entire household, which are the default arrangement, can entrench problematic and often gendered interpersonal dynamics, including by giving control of payments to a financially or physically abusive partner.”

Scotland
“It is too soon to say whether these steps – and Scotland’s new powers of taxation – will make a difference for people in poverty. However, it is clear that there is still a real accountability gap which can and should be addressed. The Social Security (Scotland) Act of 2018 provides no redress for violations of the right to social security. But if the compelling recommendations made by the First Minister’s Advisory Group on Human Rights Leadership are adopted, and if the Scottish Government acts swiftly on its commitment to incorporate the principles of the Convention on the Rights of the Child into Scottish law, these steps will make a huge difference.”

www.commonspace.scot/articles/14270/sanitised-version-nineteenth-century-workhouse-10-damning-conclusions-new-un-poverty

Luckygirl Fri 24-May-19 09:00:51

Ideological, not economic - this is the really worrying bit about it all. And so true.

GabriellaG54 Fri 24-May-19 09:25:30

Just a quick scan through the actual report (not the precis written above) show a that poverty has two tiers, one of which has stagnated for the past 20 years and the lower tier has risen to a slightly better level but still lagging.
I note that for 10 of the past 21 years there has been a Labour government. 1997-2007, Blair and Brown. If the Conservatives are supposedly responsible for the cutting of services and failures in the report, how do you account for stagnating poverty levels for the 10 years that Labour was in power. The report states that levels have not moved or barely moved for 20 years.
Allegedly, 10% of young adults over 16 years of age have insecure jobs but *no *mention of the fact that the majority are still in education and work in coffee shops and retail environments at weekends and during holiday periods. No mention of the fact that they still live at home and have no responsibility for rent or bills.
This report from an Australian who works in New York and spent ELEVEN days gathering this information. A fair chunk of that 11 days would have been spent with his team, travelling between cities and towns here and in N.I. and setting up interviews with residents.
All we're hearing about is poverty poverty poverty, inequality, food banks, heating or eating and homelessness, force fed daily.
We're given conflicting reports re ice melts and the earth heating up yet reports tell of people living in one room to keep warm and wearing coats indoors because they're cold.
Every report is biased based on where the writer is standing.
I'm currently looking at pretty, open countryside with a couple of tall chimeypots in the distance and sheep, llamas and horses in nearby fields.
If I were to stand in one of those fields looking towards my flat, I'd see a lovely old red-brick house with a stand of trees behind it and a gravelled drive with clipped hedges.
Two views, both encompassing the same area.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 24-May-19 09:28:30

I think we are being treated like the horrible experiment of boiling a frog over this sort of thing. In other words, the changes are happening remorselessly (I use the word for both its meanings) but slowly enough that we are not noticing the water getting hotter and hotter and things getting worse and worse.

How those in charge, and those who still vote for them, can live with themselves, I do not know. It is not just over Brexit that we are becoming a not-very-funny laughing stock to other countries.

How sad.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-May-19 09:38:30

I believe that the Tories in their usual state of denial, are asking the UN to withdraw it.

It comes as no surprise to people who work with the poor in the U.K. though. There have been similar academic reports along these lines for years now. No doubt much of the UN report was based on these.

I’m looking out of my window, and seeing a pink rose laden with blossom, and a gentle breeze swaying them. But I am not so foolish to think that this is how many people live. That would be a very cruel assumption entirely lacking empathy and intelligence.

lemongrove Fri 24-May-19 09:42:28

Well said Gabriella ??
In any case, poverty is relative.Like or dislike the Conservative government, they have brought down the level at which less paid people have to pay tax and given working ‘credits’ to encourage work ( why not) at help families at the same time.
For a long time ( a very long time) benefits were getting out of hand, it was a problem for all political parties, so different measures had to be introduced.
The UK has now got so many immigrants living here,mainly from poor countries, who are unskilled workers and therefore although doing so much better living here, are still at ‘low levels’ where earning is concerned.

lemongrove Fri 24-May-19 09:43:41

That doesn’t mean that certain things can’t be improved, any system rarely gets all things right.

maddyone Fri 24-May-19 09:44:38

Poverty, it depends how it is defined. Apparently it’s defined by a family, with numbers of people in the family taken into account, having only 50% to 60% of the median salary/wage, which was approximately £29,500 last year.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-May-19 09:55:02

Ah! immigrants.

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 10:05:19

they didn't think much of America either Just saying.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-May-19 10:07:27

gonegirl of course not. We are nearly at a level with the USA regarding inequality

trisher Fri 24-May-19 10:21:25

How anyone can look at this report and try to deny its findings or respond to it by dismissing it I don't know. If you voted for the shower currently running the country progressively into more and more poverty you are resonsible for the homeless on the streets, the families in B&B accommodation and using food banks and the hard working people trying to stretch their inadequate wages to cover increasing costs. The least you could do would be to realise this and think again.Instead you try to justify these horrors by either pretending they don't exist or blaming someone else. For goodness sake accept reality and realise we can and must do better.

Urmstongran Fri 24-May-19 11:07:19

The work and pensions secretary, Amber Rudd, plans to lodge a formal complaint with the UN about the damning report on austerity in Britain by its special rapporteur on extreme poverty, Philip Alston.

Rudd will argue that Alston is politically biased and did not do enough research. (seems you are correct GabriellaG54)

The minister is seeking guidance from the Foreign Office on the best way to respond after Alston compared her department’s welfare policies to the creation of Victorian workhouses.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-May-19 11:10:37

I wonder if Rudd is biased

GabriellaG54 Fri 24-May-19 11:19:12

I suppose that each and every one of us is biased in one way or another.
It's the human condition. We're influenced, consciously and unconsciously, by what we see, hear and read from infancy until death.
That's my view anyway.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-May-19 11:26:57

gg54

Have you never in your life had to produce a report that was objective? If you think it impossible without bias then you were in the wrong job.

trisher Fri 24-May-19 11:41:20

GG54 I completely agree I am biased against poverty, inequality and rich fat cats lining their pockets at the expense of the poor and underprivileged. I am also biased against people who grew up in a supportive welfare state and benefitted from that but who now live comfortable sheltered lives and would deny the same benefits to others.

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 12:10:16

"who now live comfortable sheltered lives and would deny the same benefits to others."

Oh yes.Because these people never worked hard all their lives for what they've got, did they?

Yes they did!!!

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 12:13:16

I "benefitted" from a welfare state that just about kept me and my single mother and my old grandma away from actual starvation. I am grateful. But I'm not ashamed of the fact that I have managed to lift my family into more comfortable circumstances now.

maddyone Fri 24-May-19 12:32:21

There’s nothing to be ashamed of in that Gonegirl. You should be proud that you have worked hard and been successful. Isn’t that what ‘welfare’ is for, to support people as they work towards a better life?

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 12:54:39

Thank you maddyone.

GabriellaG54 Fri 24-May-19 13:43:53

Trisher
As I fit into neither category, I've no idea what your comment is meant to convey to me...sorry. sad

GabriellaG54 Fri 24-May-19 13:45:06

Oops!
Trisher trisher grin

GabriellaG54 Fri 24-May-19 13:50:24

Whitewavemark2
As a retired lawyer, in my later working life I had to produce reports and assessments, many of which were coloured by information passed on by other agencies which may (or may not) have been biased.
My work was to obtain the best possible outcome for my client.

eazybee Fri 24-May-19 14:19:39

Thank you GabriellaG for your eminently sensible posts, and to Gonegirl also, for yours.
Puts this emotively written report, quoted I believe by John McDonnall, in perspective.