Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sadiq Kahn’s views on Donald Trump - unprofessional?

(213 Posts)
Kandinsky Sun 02-Jun-19 19:03:24

Not sure if gransnetters outside of London know what our mayor is saying, but he’s going way over the top in my opinion.
He really needs to keep his personal hatred of another politician to himself, especially a politician who’s one of our greatest allies.

What do you think?

lemongrove Sun 02-Jun-19 19:06:00

I think Khan is being very, very unprofessional.As Mayor of London he has to be more diplomatic.

Ginny42 Sun 02-Jun-19 19:08:01

I think he's taken is lead from the very outspoken POTUS. Both unprofessional.

Kandinsky Sun 02-Jun-19 19:17:18

He’s just an embarrassment now.

blondenana Sun 02-Jun-19 19:19:54

Khann is only a mayor,he does seem to have a lot of powers for only being a mayor,or is a London mayor different to others
He doesnt; seem to be very popular anywhere from what i read

EllanVannin Sun 02-Jun-19 19:30:45

A Global threat ? Trump ? I could say something but I won't !!

phoenix Sun 02-Jun-19 19:40:45

blondenana Mayor of London does actually mean quite a lot more power (and responsibility) than your "average" Mayor.

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 19:43:17

Good point (Phoenix* it is a very important job but it must sometimes be hard to remain diplomatically schtum when areas of the UK are being slagged off as “no go areas” as POTUS did last year.

Grany Sun 02-Jun-19 20:08:19

How seriously does the rest of the world take Trump? Well, here’s how Sky News is advertising his UK state visit. Watch.

twitter.com/mattmfm/status/1134833983261413376?s=20

JenniferEccles Mon 03-Jun-19 12:00:59

Khan is a horrible man.

How on earth did he get elected as Mayor?

Ideally Trump should have been the bigger man and risen above all the insults Khan was throwing his way, but having said that he was perfectly entitled to defend himself.

glammanana Mon 03-Jun-19 12:07:01

Khan doesn't have to like Trump but he could have at least had the politness to keep his thougts to himself.

Beckett Mon 03-Jun-19 12:10:46

From what I read about Khan he could be trying to deflect criticism of himself by joining in with the general condemnation of Trump

MawBroonsback Mon 03-Jun-19 12:20:55

Khan is a horrible man

What do you base that on Jennifer Eccles ?
If you live in London, I take it you didn't vote for him?

Elvive Mon 03-Jun-19 12:27:26

is he? How do you know?

sodapop Mon 03-Jun-19 12:44:14

Horrible or not Khan has behaved unprofessionally, not for the first time. A little courtesy toward a guest of the Queen would have been more in keeping with his role. The same could be said of the POTUS of course.

crazyH Mon 03-Jun-19 12:48:26

I love the pageantry......no country does it better.

Very unprofessional , that Sadiq Khan

EllanVannin Mon 03-Jun-19 12:59:26

I guess the 3 Stooges won't be missed at the banquet ?

Not a good PR example by Khan ! He's not fit to serve as mayor.

trisher Mon 03-Jun-19 13:00:39

So it's OK for the president of the USA to criticise the Mayor of London saying he needs an IQ test, that he is responsible for allowing terror attacks and that he is a "stone cold loser". I would point out that Trump is a racist, Islamaphobe and perhaps if some GNers were of mixed race or Muslim they might take a different view. Go Sadiq Khan!!! there will be people marching tomorrow who fully support you I wish I could be with them. Condemning racism and sexism is vital for our freedoms.

crystaltipps Mon 03-Jun-19 13:10:51

So it’s ok for Trump to hurl childish insults at our mayor?

Elvive Mon 03-Jun-19 13:22:45

It's not ok to insult people in a pathetic, childish tit for tat kind of way. Right now we have established that.....lets focus on Trump.

What is this " standing up for his country" , "telling it as it is" and " speaking his mind" that is so admired.

Please give us some examples of this wonderous characteristic.
www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/15/opinion/leonhardt-trump-racist.html

EllanVannin Mon 03-Jun-19 13:48:00

All this " racism and phobia's of this that and the other " have truly got out of hand --NOT by the racists etc themselves but by those who cry racist at every opportunity !! It's become a war-cry for every protest and used as fodder toward those whose views differ. Sickening and above all infantile !!

EllanVannin Mon 03-Jun-19 13:51:40

Freedom of speech is being able to criticise without fear of a backlash from all quarters of the PC brigade.

GabriellaG54 Mon 03-Jun-19 13:56:57

Our system is monarchical and unarguably more refined whilst the USA system is more 'Who dares, wins' and to our eyes, there are bound to be glaring differences.
Sadiq Khan is an utter and appalling disgrace in virtually every respect.
In fact...he has no respect.
Donald Trump comes from a country where bluster is more the norm, but whatever his failings re manners, he should never ever be publicly castigated by the Mayor of London.
As for Khan permitting the blimps, that simply shows how low he is.
Sewer level.
I'm certain that the present Mayor of Washington D.C. Muriel Bowser, would never have permitted unflattering blimps of HM Queen Elizabeth to be shown or flown had HM ever made an official visit during her tenure.

crystaltipps Mon 03-Jun-19 14:03:00

I know Trump thinks he’s the new Royal Family but you can’t equate his office with Queenie.

crystaltipps Mon 03-Jun-19 14:03:44

Does Trump show respect?