Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sadiq Kahn’s views on Donald Trump - unprofessional?

(214 Posts)
Kandinsky Sun 02-Jun-19 19:03:24

Not sure if gransnetters outside of London know what our mayor is saying, but he’s going way over the top in my opinion.
He really needs to keep his personal hatred of another politician to himself, especially a politician who’s one of our greatest allies.

What do you think?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Jun-19 21:45:56

Hello GNHQ here. Left-wing/right-wing/chicken wing - all wings' views allowed and if you don't agree with a particular wing, that's fine but please don't make it personal.
Thanks smile

Elvive Thu 06-Jun-19 22:05:45

Hilarious, I would suggest comparing a footballer to the Mayor because they are both Muslim is off the scale of anything I have come across. Still if Lara thinks it's a jolly jaoe , so be it.

Elvive Thu 06-Jun-19 22:05:53

jape

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 22:30:25

Actually, Elvive, it's not so funny and perhaps not something to mock.

I don't know this footballer but if he inspires other young people (of whatever religion or ethnic background) to try to achieve their ambitions whatever they may be, that can only be a good thing.

The same can be said for Khan, of course, for what he has achieved, but he has let himself down just lately.
He should show more dignity befitting his office.

Elvive Thu 06-Jun-19 22:40:20

But how on earth can you compare a professional footballer to a politician? Would we compare say Neil Armstrong and Father Christmas.......it's ludicrous.

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 22:45:56

Both role models?

As for Neil Armstrong and Father Christmas, ie St Nicholas

hmm an astronaut -v- a saint?
Possible.

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 22:47:28

I think more young people would be inspired by a footballer than a Mayor.

Possibly sad, but true.

Elvive Thu 06-Jun-19 23:00:08

Is Sadiq Khan a role model or has he ever wished to be so?

Probably not. Therefore comparing him to a footballer ( potential role model? ) is rather foolish.

The only connection between the two is their faith.

EllanVannin Thu 06-Jun-19 23:11:33

Aren't mayors role models for their cities then ? Or supposed to be.

Mo Salah has done a lot for the city that he loves by bringing communities together.

Sadiq Khan was creating divisions by sanctioning a hate Trump campaign.

Elvive Thu 06-Jun-19 23:25:57

What a facile and pointless comparison.

I'll think you may find Trump didn't need any help with divisions. Possibly describing neo Nazis as fine people is pretty divisive.

crystaltipps Fri 07-Jun-19 04:51:31

Why isn’t Trump more like Harry Kane?
silly comparisons.

EllanVannin Fri 07-Jun-19 08:54:41

Can you get any sillier, Elvive ? Why don't you admit defeat instead of digging yourself a hole ?

Elvive Fri 07-Jun-19 09:03:04

There is no defeat because there is no contest. I think comparing 2 people because they happen to be Muslim is very silly indeed. But there we have it.

Oh and talking about the PC Brigade is also rather silly.