Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jo Brand

(335 Posts)
WadesNan Thu 13-Jun-19 11:08:55

Does anyone else think that Jo Brand's "joke" was in bad taste? Talking about the milkshake throwing she said "Why bother with milkshake when you could get some battery acid"

I appreciate she is anti-Brexit and she is entitled to share her views on that but surely this "joke" was a step too far.

aggie Thu 13-Jun-19 11:13:35

shock

murraymints65 Thu 13-Jun-19 11:17:17

all I will say on this woman is if she had a brain she would be dangerous !!

gillybob Thu 13-Jun-19 11:21:08

I don't honestly think there is any joke in suggesting someone should throw battery acid over a politician (or anyone for that matter). This was a ridiculous non-joke and she should be thoroughly ashamed of herself. I wonder what would happen if someone said this who couldn't hide behind being "a comedian"?

Grandma70s Thu 13-Jun-19 11:21:21

It’s slightly bad taste, no more. I think generally she is quite funny, and certainly not brainless.

Grandma70s Thu 13-Jun-19 11:22:33

It’s not as if she meant it.

Marilla Thu 13-Jun-19 11:26:35

I usually find her throwaway comments funny. However, she has crossed the line with the battery acid comment.
Even though I despise the politics of Mr Farage.

aggie Thu 13-Jun-19 11:26:56

IT IS NOT FUNNY

gillybob Thu 13-Jun-19 11:28:09

So we can all say anything we like now, as long as we laugh after we say it Grandma70s? I don't think so. Jo Brand new exactly what she was saying and in a sick way probably meant it too.

Callistemon Thu 13-Jun-19 11:32:09

I used to think she was quite amusing but no longer - since she has chaired HIGNFY a couple of times, she seems to have an inflated sense of her own importance.

This was not a joke - it was just nasty.

Labaik Thu 13-Jun-19 11:34:30

Maybe it will cancel out Farages 'immigrant/refugee' poster. As for inciting violence well, it's pots calling kettles when it comes to Farage [imo]...

JenniferEccles Thu 13-Jun-19 11:41:08

This is horrific isn't it? Talk about a comment to incite violence.

WHY are so many of those with Leftist leanings so horribly aggressive towards those whose views they disagree with? The nastiest comments always come from them.

Jo Brand is a broadcaster she should be articulate enough to discuss and challenge Farage's policies without resorting to sick comments like this.

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 11:42:01

It was stupid and horrific.

Callistemon Thu 13-Jun-19 11:43:03

I don't see the point of that post confused Laibaik
Do two wrongs make a right?

And - has Farage advocated throwing battery acid over old people?

I am not a Farage fan or Brexit voter btw.

I could never make my mind up about Jo Brand, whether she was funny but near the mark or just vile.
This has confirmed my latter view.

Beckett Thu 13-Jun-19 11:45:33

Perhaps those who say "it was just a joke" should ask a victim of an acid attack if they thought it was funny. Totally beyond the pale as far as I am concerned.

Riverwalk Thu 13-Jun-19 11:47:06

I heard her and laughed - it's one of those quips that's funny in that moment but doesn't travel well and not funny when repeated or taken literally.

gillybob Thu 13-Jun-19 11:48:20

Exactly Beckett .

paddyann Thu 13-Jun-19 11:52:33

I have been known to ask friends "where's Guy Fawkes when you need him ?"..but I dont actually ask or advise anyone to blow the whole gaggle of eegits up.Its just a phrase ,if you get so upset about a silly remark then I can only imagine how distressed you must get at the current policies of the conservatives ...or the non policies of the rest.Life must be very difficult for you .

Whitewavemark2 Thu 13-Jun-19 11:52:53

Almost as bad as Farages “lets take up our rifles”

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 11:55:07

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have laughed at that.

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 11:56:21

I don't think Ilike modern day "comedians".

Johno Thu 13-Jun-19 11:56:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanaandGrampy Thu 13-Jun-19 11:57:04

Aren't we supposed to have moved past the place where it is acceptable to say something like this and laugh it off as humour?

If she had made this remark about race or sexuality there would have been a hue and cry with calls for hate speech. Is this truly any different?

gillybob Thu 13-Jun-19 11:58:44

Brand is a typical leftie radical moron

I think I am beginning to agree with you Johno

Johno Thu 13-Jun-19 11:58:47

I wish to add that I am a free speech absolutist under the law. I support the right of people to say whatever they like. No one should be sacked or feel the hand of the police on their collar just for expressing a point of view.