Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jo Brand

(336 Posts)
WadesNan Thu 13-Jun-19 11:08:55

Does anyone else think that Jo Brand's "joke" was in bad taste? Talking about the milkshake throwing she said "Why bother with milkshake when you could get some battery acid"

I appreciate she is anti-Brexit and she is entitled to share her views on that but surely this "joke" was a step too far.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:01:04

Yes you would think so wouldn’t you nan&gramp

Just like Johnson did (not) at his interview yesterday, over women wearing the niqab.

Callistemon Thu 13-Jun-19 12:02:08

Free speech is one thing - advocating violence, in this case probably GBH, is in quite a different category.

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 12:04:22

I think she's like the rest of them. Puts her career before anything else. Just wants to be admired and successful. Pathetic.

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 12:05:02

Yes. It's different.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:05:53

Just like Farage

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jun-19 12:08:17

I’m off to Google Brand -v- Carol Thatcher now as you’ve piqued my curiosity!

Beckett Thu 13-Jun-19 12:14:17

As far as I recall Carol Thatchers stupid "joke" was made in a private conversation. Jo Brand's was in a public broadcast.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:16:09

If a right wing comedian had said this about Jeremy Corbyn there would be public outrage from the Biased Broadcasting Company and every LP MP and supporter???

It seems to be “open season” on anybody who appears to be “right of centre”

JenniferEccles Thu 13-Jun-19 12:17:54

'Just like Farage'?

Has Nigel Farage ever suggested throwing battery acid over anyone?

No, I thought not.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:19:43

No just shooting people.

POGS Thu 13-Jun-19 12:20:52

Jo Brand and the BBC are quite rightly being called hypocrites.

Examples.

Jo Brand reported Carol Thatcher for using the word the word ' golliwog' in a private conversation and the BBC dropped Thatcher.

The BBC recently sacked Danny Baker for his photo showing the monkey.

Jo Brand ' jokes' about throwing battery acid at Nigel Farage and that is deemed satirical, free speech, humour by the BBC. No it's not it is the angry/nasty side of political debate and conversation that some, usually activists, hide behind to think they can get away with inciting hatred/violence.

Hypocrisy surrounds anybody who thinks what she said is remotely acceptable if they ever commented on the value of the HOPE NOT HATE campaign after the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox.

There are stupid / angry people out there who are so indoctrinated with ' hating' those they oppose they could easily enact what is said by foolish / unconscionable people. Those such as Jo Brand are perfectly aware of what they do and say and sadly the likes of the BBC in this instance is being an enabler.

It is not beyond the wit of man to know that sometimes some will use satire/freedom of speech to spout their true feelings and are fooling ' the few not the many' hopefully.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:22:01

Just like Farage

gillybob Thu 13-Jun-19 12:23:56

Excellent post POGS I agree with every word.

crystaltipps Thu 13-Jun-19 12:24:41

Hi Brand followed up her remark by saying she wouldn’t do it obviously and it wouldn’t be inciting anyone to do this, unlikes Farage saying he would “pick up a rifle to defend Brexit” - this was after Jo Cox was shot- difference is he meant it plus some of his thuggish followers might actually do it. Before you get your word it’s in a twist over a comedy show no one listens to, get all get up about genuine threats.

crystaltipps Thu 13-Jun-19 12:25:21

Excuse typos

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 12:26:26

Why did she say it in the first place then? She shouldn't have to excuse her "jokes". Just keep her mouth shut.

crystaltipps Thu 13-Jun-19 12:27:09

Perhaps those who criticise Brand would also like to criticise Farages rifles remark.

sodapop Thu 13-Jun-19 12:35:18

Yes both were in very poor taste crystaltipps and show a lack of responsibility. Brand & Farage just want attention and here we are giving it to them on a plate.

Day6 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:50:12

The BBC has double standards. Danny Baker mocking the royal family resulted in instant dismissal, yet Jo Brand can quip that battery acid is a better liquid to fling at politicians than milk shake and we are supposed to find it funny.

Her comment was disgusting and she should be roundly condemned. Does anyone in any circumstances find humour in maiming someone for life by flinging acid at them?

She should be taken off the airwaves. Baker was.

POGS Thu 13-Jun-19 12:52:42

Whitewave/crystaltips

By deflecting the OP question re Jo Brand is merely doing that, deflecting.

It should matter not a jot whether the ' incitement to cause hatred or harm' comes from an individual /group, from the left or right of politics to most decent thinking people.

If there is no blanket condemnation when vile comments are made by individuals/groups and it comes down to partisan opinions then I am of the opinion there will only be a continence of enablement to incite hatred and violence.

By using the term ' incitement to hatred and violence' I will say that as far as the repeated point re Boris Johnson I do not find his article if taken in ' context' and was actually backing the right of Muslim women to wear the Burka was remotely equatable to Brand referring to throwing battery acid over another human being.

whywhywhy Thu 13-Jun-19 12:53:05

I'm not a fan of Nigel Farage but I would never wish him any harm. He is a human being and I think Jo Brand has just shot herself in the foot. She is never funny at the best of times and this could be the last straw in some people's view. Disgraceful behaviour!

Luckygirl Thu 13-Jun-19 12:54:19

She was out of order.

She has her good sides - she is a local and supports various causes.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:58:06

Not a burka pogs

You are making the erroneous assumption that I approve of Brands comment.

I am merely pointing out the hypocracy

Firecracker123 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:59:17

I bet Katie Piper who had acid thrown at her face doesn't find this funny. Jo Brand is a disgrace and should be sacked by the BBC but because they are so biased against Farage they won't. It seems to me that the supposedly Liberal left are so consumed with hate for anyone that doesn't share their views.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Jun-19 13:00:24

Johno, this " free-speech " is becoming ( has become ) a step too far IMHO. It now would seem that anyone who pleases can say whatever they want/like with impunity.
I'm all for democracy------to a point !