Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why on earth are people doing this?

(95 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 06-Jul-19 11:23:15

They don't want you - just your money!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7219165/Senior-royals-including-Charles-William-Kate-gather-Windsor-baby-Archies-christening.html

Anniebach Sat 06-Jul-19 11:33:24

Their attitude to the public is a disgrace . Suppose they will get more press coverage which will please them

merlotgran Sat 06-Jul-19 11:41:31

It's a shame that people are daft enough to fall for their cat and mouse tactics.

Does anyone really care who the godparents are? Refusing to name them just makes people more curious (if you're that way inclined)

Refusing to allow brief footage of them arriving at the chapel as William and Kate do is selfish. All take and no give.

Anniebach Sat 06-Jul-19 12:09:38

They will release photographs of their choice when they choose to ! They are very important people , in their opinion

Jabberwok Sat 06-Jul-19 12:27:16

I think this couple need to realise that the only reason that the RF have survived over the years is their popularity! Whilst guarding their privacy is one thing, deliberately shunning the very people whose good will keeps you in your very privileged position is quite another. Someone really needs to advise them how to walk this fine line and to stop causing offence. Prince Harry should know better!!
Does anyone else find calling the D of C Kate Middleton by the Daily Mail very irritating! Perhaps they're unaware that she gave up that surname on her marriage some 8 years ago!!!

sassenach512 Sat 06-Jul-19 12:40:34

Yes Jabberwok it irritates me, I'd be annoyed if people deliberately used my maiden name when addressing me. Maybe we'll be treated to another shot of the baby's foot or the back of his head this time, I think they're deliberately being obstructive, keeping people who give a damn, dangling on a string. You're right JW these two should realise that the RF need the goodwill of the people to keep them in their ivory towers

SirChenjin Sat 06-Jul-19 12:48:12

We (the public) are not sufficiently important to them - we’re there when it suits the PR for their various sleb humanitarian causes or to pay for their houses etc, and that is all. Quite why so many are surprised by their behaviour is a mystery to me

EllanVannin Sat 06-Jul-19 12:50:30

How Harry has changed !! He used to be all for the people.

Though looking at it another way, he knows how his mother was hounded by the press and I don't suppose it would be any different for him and Meghan if the press/media weren't given enough rope.

MawBroonsback Sat 06-Jul-19 12:53:37

Not really bothered ,but I wonder what the response would be if any pictures issued were not published for lack of support and nobody lined any streets waving flags etc?

notanan2 Sat 06-Jul-19 12:53:43

Harry COULD turn his back on his title and be mostly forgotten like other aristocrats (they are more "minor" now that Will has heirs anyway!). Fend for themselves... nobody would care about them in a few years time. Live normal lives (well what passes for normal as toffs)

But they wont do that! They want to pick'n'chose what parts of being a working royal suits them!

He's his mothers son! Thank god he's never going to be king!

Anniebach Sat 06-Jul-19 12:55:26

His mother used the press , called them when she wanted press coverage, complained when she didn’t. Harry is doing the same

notanan2 Sat 06-Jul-19 12:55:54

Though looking at it another way, he knows how his mother was hounded by the press

Attention and adoration was VERY important to Di. She would have HATED to be forgotten and irrelevant to the public!

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 12:58:14

Having given them the benefit of the doubt for a long time - I agree!

I don't really mind if Harry renounces any rights to succession and they both just go off to do their own thing, charitable work, whatever. They have enough private money of their own to live on.

notanan2 Sat 06-Jul-19 13:00:02

Its like when Di would decline the private entrances to high profile stores and restaurants and get her driver to pull up RIGHT at the front... then come out in shades with her head down all coy like..

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 13:01:40

Prince William, 37, donned dark glasses as he drove himself and Kate Middleton, 37, into the rear gates of Windsor Castle, where the private ceremony will take place.
grin
Don't most people wear dark glasses when it's sunny?

Kate Middleton? Has she said that she prefers to be called by her maiden name; I do know many women who do for professional reasons.

notanan2 Sat 06-Jul-19 13:02:32

I don't really mind if Harry renounces any rights to succession and they both just go off to do their own thing, charitable work, whatever. They have enough private money of their own to live on.

They wont do that. They'll grab the bits that suit them with their greedy hands and shun the bits they cant be bothered with!

SirChenjin Sat 06-Jul-19 13:03:45

Exactly. They enjoy their status on the celebrity stage far too much to give it all up

notanan2 Sat 06-Jul-19 13:04:53

William is more dutiful. Harry cares very little for the boring/tedious/inconvenient bits.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 13:07:57

Older child - sensible and obeys the rules
Younger child - rules? What rules?

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 13:08:32

eg The Queen and Princess Margaret

notanan2 Sat 06-Jul-19 13:09:34

Thats fine... until they want to claim the benefits of the "rules"..

... in which case they should be told you're either all in or all out

Gonegirl Sat 06-Jul-19 13:11:46

I don't understand the furore. It's a christening. What is there to see? Is it because Kate wheeled one of hers to the church in that big pram? confused Each to his/her own I reckon. I can live without pictures.

Gonegirl Sat 06-Jul-19 13:12:34

And yes. Sunglasses because it's sunny. hmm

Suerussell Sat 06-Jul-19 13:13:20

I think Harry and Megan have had a right old pasting in the press and of course her father and his relations haven’t helped matters.

Therefore I think this is going to be the response to that going forward. I don’t blame them to be honest. The press coverage has been brutal.

Also I think an unsaid thing is that the press are wanting to see the colour of the baby’s skin. Absolute nightmare for them, they probably don’t want their baby gawked at for that reason.

Same thing about keeping the names of the Godparents secret. They would be hounded by the press too.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Jul-19 13:13:29

Archie hasn't been given a "Royal Title", he is down the line of succession.

I can totally understand why Harry wants privacy for his son.