Gransnet forums

News & politics

31st October is going to be tight!

(96 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 10:53:28

July 22: Ballot closes

July 23: The new Tory leader is announced

July 24: Changeover day. Theresa May takes her last PMQs in Commons, before heading to the Palace to quit.
The new Tory leader will follow her in to be asked to form a government.

July 25: Probable Cabinet reshuffle. Parliament is also due to rise today, sending MPs away on their summer holidays.

September 3: Parliament is due to return for two weeks, before the party conference season starts.

October 2: Tory conference wraps up with the new leader's speech.

October 7: Parliament sits again.

October 31: The UK is due to leave the EU.

Donald Tusk said ‘don’t waste this time’ ....
?

janipat Fri 12-Jul-19 11:06:30

On the basis that all police leave is cancelled when required, then I suggest we cancel the summer recess of parliament. Yes their holidays will be ruined, family time disrupted ( tell that to the boys in blue) but the country needs them to earn their wages by working on their Brexit plans (or even better in my opinion revoking article 50)

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jul-19 11:40:07

What ? They've done nothing else but talk Brexit for the last 3 years. Everything else has gone by the board. Sod all !!

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 11:44:07

Seems like only a tiny window to renegotiate. May’s WA is a dead duck. A new sheet of paper and some sharpened pencils?

I think No Deal looks ever more likely.

Gonegirl Fri 12-Jul-19 11:47:20

I heard someone from the EU on Today this morning, say there is no point in more negotiating as there is no other deal to be done.

Gonegirl Fri 12-Jul-19 11:48:05

It was the new Greece bloke. I remember now. (Was half asleep at the time).

GracesGranMK3 Fri 12-Jul-19 11:49:08

September 3: Parliament is due to return for two weeks before the party conference season starts.

September 19, 26 and October 3 I heard these being suggested as possible election days yesterday.

October 2: Tory conference wraps up with the new leader's speech.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 11:57:12

New poll shows 92 per cent of members would vote Conservative in election if Britain leaves by October 31 Well I suppose a GE will shake up the HoC! Different MP’s (Brexit Party anyone?) some thwarters deselected. A new Speaker?
Different people.
Different strokes.

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 12:15:00

Well it certainly does look tight doesn’t it? It’s an extraordinary situation and therefore it does seem to call for extraordinary measures. I do wonder if Parliament should sit through the summer this year, but I realise that would be very unpopular amongst MPs. Plus I would think that the EU are not engaged in active business during the summer months.

MaizieD Fri 12-Jul-19 12:32:36

If that's 92% of tory members, as there are only fewer than 200,000 of them it's not particularly significant in an electorate of 45million. You'd expect tory party members to vote tory, wouldn't you?

I think there will be a lot of parliamentary shenanigans in the lead up to 31st October. Every sane MP in the House will be straining their nerves to avoid no deal. That includes sane tories. However desperate they are to retain power I can't see them wanting to be presiding over national suicide.

EU won't renegotiate. They're quite prepared for no deal and will sustain far less damage than will the UK.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 12:47:32

I think the EU are saying at this stage that they won’t negotiate. Big business over there will then lean on the EU to do so and a deal will be done.

In my opinion.

MaizieD Fri 12-Jul-19 12:52:02

Big business over there will then lean on the EU to do so and a deal will be done.

Haven't noticed big business 'over there' being particularly bothered. In fact, Brexit presents them with a great opportunity to mop up lots of the UK's business. After all, with all the new EU trade deals that have recently been signed they have some nice new big markets to sell into. They're not going to be bothered with an impoverished UK.

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 12:59:51

Well that’s an opinion Maizie.

Urmstongran, I think you’re right.

MaizieD Fri 12-Jul-19 13:12:09

It's based on more fact than is the myth of EU big business insisting on a deal at the last moment. That's a Brexit unicorn that's been around for a long, long time and it has shown absolutely no sign of happening.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 13:13:28

‘^an impoverished UK^‘ will still be a very lucrative customer to the EU.

They won’t want to cut off their noses to spite their face!

“Other EU countries sell more to us than we sell to them

It’s often claimed that other EU countries sell more to us than we sell to them. Taking other EU countries as a bloc, that’s correct.”

(from the Guardian.

MaizieD Fri 12-Jul-19 16:10:03

“Other EU countries sell more to us than we sell to them

Could that be, perhaps, because there are 27 of them to sell us things and only one of us. hmm

In terms of an individual country's exports it probably isn't that significant.. and they are all prepared to take a hit.

And, they have those lovely new trade agreements to take advantage of...

Davidhs Fri 12-Jul-19 16:25:30

October 31st only exists in Boris land not the real world to do that he will have to prorogue parliament and that’s not going to happen.
I suppose parliament might think again and accept the Backstop deal, with sterling falling further that might just be palatable. It’s beginning to look like the the UK is skating on thin ice and it only takes a very few Tory rebels to trigger a GE.
The end result of that is likely to be Remain!

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 16:42:56

Sterling is rising this afternoon! Confidence in the markets?

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 16:44:49

I don’t think so Davidhs not with NF and his Brexit party waiting in the wings and by then, an even more disgruntled Leave voting public!

GillT57 Fri 12-Jul-19 17:09:19

Can I remind you again urmonstongran that there is an even more disgruntled Remain voting part of the population? You may be disgruntled because it hasn't happened yet, very many of us are furious at the prospect of fiscal calamity just to satisfy the wants and needs of the right wing of the Tory party. You do realise this will not and never was intended to be for the benefit of those who were swept along by the rhetoric and voted to leave?

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 17:16:29

Well you wouldn’t have needed to be disgruntled GillT57 if Remain had garnered more votes in the referendum!

But they didn’t.

So we Leave.

GillT57 Fri 12-Jul-19 18:19:24

Well you think what you like urmonstongran and cling to your belief. I am distraught at the train crash governance of this country and saddened that so many people have been hoodwinked by people like Farage who do.not care a fig for the people who voted for them. I truly do think that a collective madness has taken over. I also note that you are an increasingly lonely voice; perhaps other brexiteers have seen the truth and are quietly regretting the chaos they have wrought. I am finding it very hard to stay polite when I read rubbish and ignorant 'facts,' being used to support the catastrophic decision that a small majority of those who.voted made

GracesGranMK3 Fri 12-Jul-19 18:36:49

UG. If, three years ago you were given the choice of having your legs cut off and told it would greatly improve your health you might have listened to those telling you this and agreed.

If, three years later, you were shown that these people were liars and charlatans and that many, many far more knowledgable people in the field of bodies without legs felt you would be better keeping them you might change your mind.

If, three years ago, your decision meant everybody had their legs cut off even if they didn't believe the liars and charlatans and they had objected, over those three years, to being made to be legless could you not see that it might be time to ask everybody again or just stop the process of cutting off our legs.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 12-Jul-19 18:42:59

Well you think what you like urmonstongran and cling to your belief. (Fri 12-Jul-19 18:19:24)

She will GillT57 as will all those for whom this is a belief. They believe if they sacrifice our future - just as in the past people were sacrificed to their gods - then the great god Brexit will smile down upon them and everything will turn into exactly what they want it to be.

lemongrove Fri 12-Jul-19 18:47:29

grin Such melodramatics!