Gransnet forums

News & politics

US Beef

(273 Posts)
Joelsnan Fri 02-Aug-19 21:41:52

The EU has an import quota of 45M tonnes of beef. It has been announced by Trump that EU and US are about to sign a deal to allow US an EU import quota of 35M tonnes of beef leaving 10M to be imported from other sources.
No worries about US meat imports then.

M0nica Fri 02-Aug-19 21:57:28

They can import as much as they like. In the end they are dependent on the consumer buying it. The phrase you can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink, comes to mind.

All the meat I consume comes from local farmers.

Perhaps a protest group could undertake publicising how cattle are reared in American feeding lots. That should put consumers off and asking about the meat in their ready meals.

rosecarmel Sat 03-Aug-19 00:46:46

The raising of cattle is destructive to the environment no matter how they are raised- The U.S. imports and exports beef globally- Some solely grass fed, some not, some organic-

rosecarmel Sat 03-Aug-19 00:56:32

The USDA website provides monthly data-

crystaltipps Sat 03-Aug-19 05:24:05

The beef industry is environmentally destructive and shouldn’t be encouraged. But shows that we don’t need to be outside the EU to trade with the US doesn’t it?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Aug-19 07:18:32

The beef has been raised without hormones. This trade agreement is with the EU only. The EU has fought long and hard to ensure the quality of the meat its consumers eat is of a high standard.
It was able to more than equal the USAs economic muscle and negotiating skills in its demands.

The U.K. will lose that on 1 November. We will then be facing a huge economy power whose skill at negotiation is only surpassed by the EU.

Davidhs Sat 03-Aug-19 08:12:00

Everything we all do including Rose Carmel is destructive to the environment, Houses, roads, cars and yes food production as well so let’s have sensible posts to the forum. Even Vegans destroy the environment by growing beans and vegetables, think of all those native plants and animals displaced to grow crops and the rain forest being cleared to grow Soya that replaces animal protein.

So let accept that unless you live as veggie gatherer on an isolated island, living in a cave you are destroying the environment.

EllanVannin Sat 03-Aug-19 08:43:30

Pumped up with hormones !

Very true Davidhs.

rosecarmel Sat 03-Aug-19 09:35:25

I leave it to the reader to be sensible and consider the entire post or be hyper-vigilant, testosterone driven misanthropes -- including women with too much hair on their chins-

What's your beef?

Chill!

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 09:42:09

Call me thick if you like, it's been done before, but I have no idea what I am supposed to be worried about in original post.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Aug-19 09:43:03

rose bit weird?

I think people are entirely at liberty to give consideration to what they do to the environment and what they put into their bodies.

This beef will meet EU standards. These standards ensure a high quality produce for EU consumers.

We will not benefit from this trade deal.

midgey Sat 03-Aug-19 09:51:12

What an extraordinary remark- women with too much hair on their chins. Somewhat childish and ridiculous on a perfectly legitimate post.

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 09:51:16

I would like to see all cows done away with, and it's nothing to do with the environment. Sheep are much less scary.

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 09:52:47

Exactly midgey. We have no idea how much hair joelsnan has on her chin!!! shock

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 09:54:20

I wish Monica hadn't mentioned horses.

rosecarmel Sat 03-Aug-19 10:07:31

Blind leading the blind ..

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 10:13:24

read all about it here (It will be hormone free.

Funny it's not in the Daily Mail.

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 10:14:02

OP Are you from Southern Ireland?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Aug-19 10:16:58

rose can you explain your cryptic remarks as you clearly think we are all too stupid and hairy to quite understand the situation.

Please I would be thrilled if you could educate us.

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 10:28:09

rosecarmel you can't realistically expect farmers to stop raising beef cows. We can, perhaps should, cut down on our beef eating, but not everyone is going to become vegetarian.

Anyway, what would happen to our countryside if there were no animals in the fields?

crystaltipps Sat 03-Aug-19 10:33:18

Most of the soya grown in cleared rainforests is grown to feed pigs in China. It is well known that animal production is 10x more environmentally damaging in terms of water use, emissions, land use than plants grown to feed humans .

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Aug-19 10:39:22

I eat beef perhaps once a month almost certainly less than that and we have cut down on the amount anyway.

I have been doing that for years now, as I’m more than aware of the environmental cost..

I only eat any form of flesh once every 3 days and all much less quantity than previously.

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 11:10:54

Can you imagine no green fields - just rows of cabbages?

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 11:11:51

Where actually is he going to get the other 10% from? Could be a deal struck by him and Boris.

Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 11:13:32

Maybe they'll have some of ours and we'll have some of theirs back, in tins and hotdogs.