News & politics

Corbyn as caretaker

(461 Posts)
loopyloo Thu 15-Aug-19 07:08:15

What do people think about that?

Anniebach Tue 27-Aug-19 09:53:35

Jura I did say ‘racism harms the country’ not ‘some racism harms the country’

Ilovecheese Tue 27-Aug-19 09:56:36

As far as I can see, Grandad1948 responds to posts and answers questions. Why is that 'commandeering ' a thread.

Beckett Tue 27-Aug-19 10:01:42

As a non-political person I am wondering what happens if the "temporary" government fails to get an extension to Article 50. Will they still hold a general election or will they remain in "temporary" control

Fiachna56 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:02:50

I think people have the wrong impression here. Of course all racism needs to be fought, but since I thought the discussion was about Mr Corbyn and I happened to see the Panorama programme that is what I commented on. I really did not understand why Grandad had replied with his comments regarding the Tory Party. I am not, never have been and never will be a Tory supporter. I also am not Islamophobic. To be honest, I have lost faith in politicians and firmly believe they are just out to support themselves. There is not a politician at present who actually cares about this country as in the UK. I have no faith in any of the parties or their leaders. Again, this is a thread I will withdraw from and possibly just withdraw from Gransnet altogether. There are an awful lot of people who really jump to alot of conclusions and some pretty nasty, without knowing a thing about me. You can all get on with it. Before I go, just remember, politicians love to divide and rule. I think this country is in a deep, deep crisis which politicians themselves caused. We, as a people need to be uniting as there are going to be tough times ahead. Instead we are all fighting each other on these forums. People really need to sit down and listen to each other and not jump to conclusions. Goodbye and all the best.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:16:00

I think Grandad is allowed to reply in the way he chooses Fiachna56 (Tue 27-Aug-19 10:02:50). That is how the discussion moves forward.

absthame Tue 27-Aug-19 10:16:52

Fiachna56 please reconsider your decision to leave GN, although it maybe right to avoid some threads, much as I generally avoid threads related to gardening.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:20:32

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the discussions between those who do not want a no-deal deal.

I notice that one of my correspondents this morning (email not here) feels that:

Jo Swinson has released a letter claiming that Jeremy Corbyn puts the No Confidence vote in doubt with his arrogant refusal to stand aside for the 'less divisive' Ken Clarke. The dirty little secret here is that Swinson's real enemy is Corbyn and the SNP, not the Tories. And vice versa. Ultimately, they are competing for roughly 50 per cent of voters. Similarly, Johnson's real threat is the Brexit Party, not the Remainers: no leader, anymore, is making any effort to cross the Leave-Remain divide.

They may be right.

Mincub Tue 27-Aug-19 10:23:57

The bane of the working classes ....seems to me it’s his only chance of grabbing power ( let’s face it his own party don’t look on him as a natural born leader) but it ain’t gonna happen Jeremy not in this world or the next!

Oldwoman70 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:25:20

Fiachna56 I hope you decide to stay with GN. I understand people are passionate about certain things, especially politics, but I have never seen the point of insulting people because they hold a different opinion.

I have a friend who I describe as being to the left of Jeremy Corbyn, my political views tend to be middle of the road - with no allegiance to any one party. We often have discussions about politics yet we have never once insulted each other - so it is possible.

jura2 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:37:30

Annieb : 'Jura I did say ‘racism harms the country’ not ‘some racism harms the country’'

yes, I know- my comment did address the fact wou only seem to ever comment on 'one kind of', which is certainly not the most virulent or prevalent.

Don't always agree with Grandad, but he always takes the time to respond clearly, intelligently and with evidence - unlike some who just throw in personal insults and blatant prejudice or even ... nonsense. Thank you Grandad.