Gransnet forums

News & politics

So he’s done it?

(802 Posts)
MawB Wed 28-Aug-19 09:31:48

The end of hopes of stopping a no deal Brexit?
Just announced.
The Queen will be asked by the government to suspend Parliament days after MPs return to work - and a matter of weeks before the Brexit deadline.
The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says it will make way for Boris Johnson's new administration to hold a Queen's Speech - laying out the government's future plans - on 14 October
But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass any laws that could stop the prime minister taking the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.
A No 10 source said: "It's time a new government and new PM set out a plan for the country after we leave the EU
The idea of shutting down Parliament - known as prorogation - has caused controversy, with critics saying it would stop MPs being able to play their democratic part in the Brexit process.

mostlyharmless Wed 28-Aug-19 11:51:27

Nicola Sturgeon says “it’s a dark day for democracy”.
Totally agree.

varian Wed 28-Aug-19 11:58:25

John Bercow has branded Boris Johnson's plan to suspend parliament in September ahead of a Queen's Speech the following month a "constitutional outrage".

"I have had no contact from the Government, but if the reports that it is seeking to prorogue Parliament are confirmed, the move represents a constitutional outrage," the House of Commons speaker said in a statement.

"However it is dressed up, it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of the prorogation now would be to stop Parliament debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country."

"At this time, one of the most challenging periods in our nation's history, it is vital that our elected Parliament has its say. After all, we live in a parliamentary democracy."

The move to suspend Parliament in the second week of September - a month before the Queen's Speech on 14 October - will drastically cut the time available for MPs to pass legislation to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/parliament-suspension-john-bercow-boris-johnson-brexit-no-deal-queen-a9081756.html

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:00:32

Blimey is this what dictatorship looks like?

No 10 are saying that if they lose a VONC next week, they will refuse to leave No 10. We won’t recommend any alternative government. We will dissolve parliament and have an election after 31 October. That means there will be no time for legislation.

MamaCaz Wed 28-Aug-19 12:01:10

This could spark one hell of a problem for the monarchy!

Surely, over an issue that divides the nation so starkly, the queen will be damned if she does (allow this) and damned if she doesn't, putting at risk the monarchy's very existence. She is going to have to box very clever, if put in this position, if they are to come out of it unscathed.

Lessismore Wed 28-Aug-19 12:02:59

Nevermind, Bake Off is back. Sorry but that's what many will be thinking.

varian Wed 28-Aug-19 12:05:43

By suspending Parliament to force through a No Deal, Boris Johnson and the Government would remove the voice of the people. It is a dangerous and unacceptable course of action which the @LibDems will strongly oppose.

twitter.com/joswinson?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Davidhs Wed 28-Aug-19 12:07:04

Any constitutional experts on Gransnet

Could the Queen intervene, has she actually got that power regardless of the consequences.

mostlyharmless Wed 28-Aug-19 12:07:57

Could the Queen’s Speech be voted down? Would that mean the Government’s policies on No Deal Brexit couldn’t go ahead?

Dinahmo Wed 28-Aug-19 12:08:08

What would happen if some Remain MPs (in Remain constituencies) were to resign the whip. Surely that would mean that the government didn't have a majority? So no need for a VONC?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:19:39

If the remain Tories vote for a Vonc then would that be the same as resining the whip?

Elegran Wed 28-Aug-19 12:20:49

Suzywoozie You say "My first thought was that he wouldn’t have said that if he hadn’t already had the nod from the Queen that she’ll accede to his request." but my response to that would be that it is exactly what would be said by someone whose aim is to push the head of state into taking sides and abandoning a lifetime of neutrality. He is gambling. The risk is high, but so are the stakes if he wins.

lemongrove Wed 28-Aug-19 12:25:19

Since ( at last) something different is happening, I have popped back ( into the fray.) I think that a VONC is perhaps what Number 10 is hoping for, either for an early election fought along Leave/Remain lines which they think they can win ( especially as few want Corbyn as PM) or to have an election the day after we officially now leave the EU.
I detect the brilliant mind of Dominic Cummings in this.

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 12:26:28

Elegran yes that was my second thought but then I though no, not even BJwould risk putting HM in that position - but he would wouldn’t he, he’s completely reckless

lemongrove Wed 28-Aug-19 12:30:25

Something has to be done after all, we can’t be doing the in/out shake it all about with the EU forever.Opposing Parties are plotting God knows what in siderooms, Corbyn dying to be PM, others hoping to stop Brexit ever happening, others to kick the can down the road to nowhere.None of them interested in the fact that they voted to trigger article 50 in the first place or respect the Leave vote.
Dissolving Parliament is what all their plotting has led us to.
We are in a crisis and it has to be resolved by Oct 31st.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:35:12

So we have an unelected PM, who has not yet won a single vote in Parliament, has only been in power for 80 days, and is now shutting parliament for over a month denying our representatives the opportunity to put their constituents will forward. Nothing he is doing is anything about the will of the people but everything to do with Johnson’s ambition.

varian Wed 28-Aug-19 12:37:13

It would be a constitutional outrage if Parliament were prevented from holding the government to account at a time of national crisis. Profoundly undemocratic.

Phillip Hammond

mostlyharmless Wed 28-Aug-19 12:39:17

No one voted for No Deal. It wasn’t on offer in the Referendum (easiest deal ever) and triggering Article 50 is not authorising No Deal.
Parliament specifically voted against No Deal several times earlier this year.
Voting for Brexit is not the same as voting for NO DEAL You are confusing Brexit with No Deal lemongrove.

Lessismore Wed 28-Aug-19 12:40:39

Well said mostly harmless. That is my understanding of the situation.

lemongrove Wed 28-Aug-19 12:41:03

mostly there was no ......deal or no deal with the Brexit vote, I am not confusing anything.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:41:42

Grieve sending a humble address to the Queen.

Anyone know what that will achieve?

pinkquartz Wed 28-Aug-19 12:41:55

I am scared ! How is this mad person able to do this to us?

pinkquartz Wed 28-Aug-19 12:43:04

I think Corbyn constant fence sitting has added to this.

anything he does now is far too late

lemongrove Wed 28-Aug-19 12:46:16

The Leave voters most certainly didn’t vote for what has been happening for the last three years!
I would have been ok with the T May deal ( poor as it was) but Parliament overall was so obsessed with disregarding the voters ( who voted Leave) and in stopping any deal at all so that we could remain in the EU, that they have brought this on themselves.
From what I am hearing, dissolving Parliament has been done a few times when considered necessary.

crystaltipps Wed 28-Aug-19 12:49:48

Again the myth that it was remainers who were responsible for Mays deal failing, when it was the extreme Brexits in her own party who were the most vociferous opponents. Johnson voted against it twice , and voted for it once. Nothing like consistency.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:55:23

I hold no particular brief for Jeremy Cornyn but there is no point in him going for a vote of no confidence unless he can win pinkquartz .

As for him sitting on the fence I think he would say he is just follow ing the democratic position of his party. As a fence sitter myself I sympathise with him on this. Not everyone is either a) Leave with no deal or b) Remain with no change but either one of those groups need to win over the fence sitters or the fence sitters need to win enough from both groups for a clear decision to be made.