Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government preparations for a GE

(28 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 08:57:38

Massive spending promises.

In fact they will break the Tories fiscal rules and completely undermine the Tories economic credibility.

The U.K. is teetering on the brink of recession, and this should drastically cut Javid room for manoeuvre if he follows his promise to stick to Tory borrowing rules.

But we all know that the government lies and lies and lies.

MaizieD Sun 01-Sep-19 18:57:03

No firecracker you entirely miss the point. It is the utter hypocrisy of the Tories.

What is breathtaking is the sheer hypocrisy of Gnetters who screamed blue murder about Labour spending plans in 2017 but now think that essentially the same ideas are wonderful because they're being put forward by Johnson.

Actually, being an MMT person, I think that this proposed orgy of public spending would be a good thing but as Johnson is also enthusiastically proposing to trash our Parliamentary democracy and is a known habitual liar I don't think it would persuade me to vote tory. It's just a whopping great electoral bribe.

trisher Sun 01-Sep-19 19:54:05

How to fool the public (or at least some of them)
1.Tell them there is no money and make huge cuts in all areas.
2. Plan a GE and announce money to go to all the areas you have cut.
The thing is that the money being proposed will not even return schools to the level they were before the Tory government, the same applies to the NHS and the police.