Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the web being woven, hold?

(319 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:18:05

Cummings game plan seems to be on course.

The tiny majority will be rendered a minority at a stroke by Cummings threat to take the whip away from any Tory rebels.

Johnson has then scapegoats to blame for his failure to deliver a brexit deal, and an excuse to go for a GE.

Labour will then fall in with the game plan by holding a VONC and a GE looks a distinct possibility sometime in Oct.
Johnson will fight it as the people v the elite who failed to deliver the democratic vote. (Bannon writ large)

The U.K. will then crash out on Nov 1st. No attempt is being made by Cummings to get a deal and in any case his contact finishes on Oct 31st.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 18:23:35

I think it was ridiculous the more I think about it. His aim of trying to blame Corbyn simply doesn’t stick as the motion is a back bench cross-party motion.

His delivery was odd.

varian Mon 02-Sep-19 18:26:49

But it's not true.

Threatening the EU with no deal, which would hurt us far more than it would hurt them is like saying "If you don't give me what I want I'll shoot myself and you might get some blood on your clothes so you'd have to pay for them to be dry-cleaned"

The EU value the four freedoms and will not succumb to such silly threats. That was made perfectly clear when they did not succumb earlier this year, in spite of the fact that no deal had not been taken off the table.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 18:30:01

Did Johnson suggest that he would ignore the bill passed by parliament if it passed to prevent no deal?

So how does a a government ignore the rule of law?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 18:40:52

If Johnson does ignore it, aQC considers that Johnson would be guilty of misconduct in public office.

Sentence = life

Blimey

lemongrove Mon 02-Sep-19 18:42:13

You wish WWM2

Not going to happen.

Fennel Mon 02-Sep-19 18:42:25

He seems to think he's above the law.
ie who is going to enforce it?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 18:45:23

Shooting the messenger again lemon?

I suspect however that if the legislation goes through he will try to call a GE.

lemongrove Mon 02-Sep-19 18:51:48

What shooting ( and what messenger)? ?

If the rebel MP’s don’t give it up then there will be an election called this week sometime, so you are quite right there.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 19:01:31

Except of course a GE is not within his call is it?

lemongrove Mon 02-Sep-19 19:31:48

It need two thirds of Parliament to agree.Corbyn is all for it though, so.....

MaizieD Mon 02-Sep-19 20:28:30

Corbyn is for anti no deal legislation first.

growstuff Mon 02-Sep-19 20:59:40

"Leaked" sources are saying Johnson will call for a GE for 14 October on Wednesday and that he will count rebels' action tomorrow as a vote of no confidence, therefore triggering a GE.

MaizieD Mon 02-Sep-19 21:04:39

Under the FTA he can't trigger a GE without the consent of two thirds of Parliament. Has he got the numbers?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 21:11:54

I’m not clear that a GE should be remotely considered until brexit has been dealt with.

growstuff Mon 02-Sep-19 21:37:23

1 But will Labour vote for it?
2 What if he really does claim that tomorrow's bill is a vote of no confidence? Someone is going to have to take him to court to contest it.

The way everything is being ripped up at the moment, I wouldn't put it past him. This really does have Cummings, who holds the law and parliament in contempt, written all over it. Alastair Campbell never acted like this.

growstuff Mon 02-Sep-19 21:38:37

I fear Labour do think they could win a GE. I think they might with a different leader.

paddyann Mon 02-Sep-19 22:21:34

Brexit WONT be dealt with without an election .Strangely I remember posting on here at the beginning of the year thatMP's had been told to keep their diaries clear for October and I said that signalled an election..I was told I was talking nonsense .SEEMS my source was more reliable than was thought !

Urmstongran Mon 02-Sep-19 22:30:49

Are you related to Dominic Cummings too paddyann?

He comes across as a tough nut but us cousins remember him when he wanted to join in our games & we told him to buzz off.

Seems our brush off honed his skills on the estate and he went from strength to strength. ...

Boris was only saying the other day to me mam he wouldn’t know what he’d do without him.
??

growstuff Mon 02-Sep-19 22:57:13

I'm really pleased that Philip Hammond has been reselected by his local association after Arron Banks' campaign had tried to deselect him. Of course, it now means that he has a really big decision to make, because he'll lose the Conservative whip if he votes for the rebels' bill. Mind you, he's rich enough not to need his MP's salary and I don't think he'll have much difficulty finding a new job.

MaizieD Mon 02-Sep-19 23:24:02

Durham lass, are you then, Ug?

Johnson needs 433 MPs to vote for a GE.

It's all very hmm

Grandad1943 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:10:22

It would seem that many MPs may well not vote for a General Election to be called even if the motion for Parliament to take control of the order paper is passed today.

Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the opposition has to state he would welcome such an election, but many individual MPs are wishing to see much clearer Brexit options on the table, and then an election to be held without a very close Brexit leave deadline hanging over such a vote.

Therefore I feel that should a motion to call a General Election be placed before the House of Commons this week, many MPs will treat that as a free vote and poll against that motion.

The above, should the motion for an election be rejected, would very much "put the ball back in Johnson's court." In that, he would either have to bow to the House of Commons demand to ask the EU for an extension to October 31st and also take no-deal off the table or resign.

Interesting and dangerous times indeed.

Iam64 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:11:46

I was pleased to read on line that Philip Hammond's constituency resisted the campaign to deselect him. I'm deeply uneasy about the suggestion that MP's who don't toe the party line can have the whip removed and be told they can't stand for the party they've represented for years. If that became the norm, we'd lose some good independent minded Conservative Labour, Liberal etc MP's.
It's looking as though a mid October election is possible. Surely that has to delay Brexit and that once again we have an election dominated by that.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:19:50

F.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Sep-19 09:17:39

A few gaps beginning to appear in the web?

@IanDunt
·
Feels almost like the walls are closing in on Johnson & Cummings. Tory rebels mostly holding firm. Labour doesn't seem to be taking the election bait. Near-constant leaks revealing the absence of a negotiation and disaster of no-deal

Could all easily go tits up by the end of the day, but I'm starting it fairly chipper.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Sep-19 09:25:07

Another commentator. Oh I do hope they are right.

norman smith
@BBC
Seems to me the Boris Johnson strategy cd be about to blow up in his face if MPs back No deal legislation AND block early general election.