Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bercow being ousted

(111 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 08-Sep-19 07:40:59

Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom confirms for the first time that the Conservative Party will defy convention and put up a candidate against him in the next Election.

lemongrove Sun 08-Sep-19 10:03:47

I thought that Bercow himself enjoyed defying convention?

EllanVannin Sun 08-Sep-19 10:55:23

Can't stand the man.

November the 5th sounds like a good idea !!

Nandalot Sun 08-Sep-19 11:00:23

I don’t think he has done anything wrong. He has defended parliamentary democracy and without that where would we be? A dictatorship?
Anyway, he himself has said that he was standing down, but this might encourage him to change his mind.

Sussexborn Sun 08-Sep-19 11:11:19

Great news. Disgusting toady man. Should have gone years ago.

Anniebach Sun 08-Sep-19 11:15:21

He is a Tory MP, if not standing down he will have to be deselected ?

LittlemoO Sun 08-Sep-19 11:20:27

Ha, Ha, lemon Grove you are a one !! grin

trisher Sun 08-Sep-19 11:44:15

I don't like Bercow but I think he has stood up to threats made by his own party to democracy. The shocking thing is that the tradition of not opposing the speaker has meant that the neutrality of the speaker has been maintained for hundreds of years. the role passing from one party to the other when a speaker steps down. That neutrality could be seriously threatened if the speaker begins to put party needs over proper parliamentary process because it's the only way to keep the job.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 08-Sep-19 13:21:29

Ha, Ha, lemon Grove you are a one !! (Today 11:20 LittlemoO)

Isn't she just.

lemongrove Sun 08-Sep-19 13:32:05

?meow pussycat.

absthame Sun 08-Sep-19 14:24:05

I've said it before on other threads, I am not keen on Bercow as a person, however I do believe that he has been the best Speaker in the last 60 years, since my involvement in politics gave me some sort of insight.

Not only has he been responsible for increasing the number and powers of committees, who hold the government to account but has also ensured that the attempts of governments to avoid scrutiny and increase their powers have been curtailed. Thereby maintaining the proper balance between parliament and the executive.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 08-Sep-19 14:30:23

I agree with you absthame, but not knowing him personally I am not too bothered about that. Where parliament has been concerned I think he has been just what we have needed.

varian Sun 08-Sep-19 14:35:12

The fact that the Daily Mail and Telegraph constantly try to undermine him is a recommendation in itself.

growstuff Sun 08-Sep-19 14:58:13

Betty Boothroyd was pretty good too.

I hope Bercow isn't ousted. He certainly adds something to parliamentary procedure.

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Sep-19 15:12:34

Bercow is supposed to be neutral - he isn't!

GracesGranMK3 Sun 08-Sep-19 15:42:23

It depends what you mean by neutral Sparklefizz.

He seems to me to be even handed in who he calls to speak and he looks after the interest of parliament, whoever is in power. He was just as criticised when Labour was in power but the Government has executive power: the speaker, as balance, protects parliament which is not the government but the back benches on all sides. I think he is one of the best we have had. He has done a lot to open up parliament and make knowledge of how it works, etc., more so available. Oh, and as he has to, he gave up his membership of the Conservative party.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Sep-19 16:36:39

Oh,
@andrealeadsom
. You do need to get over yourself.

Going after John Bercow, because he triggered an emergency debate in what is unquestionably the UK's biggest peacetime emergency?

And you say he 'broke the rules'? Do you have no sense of shame?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Sep-19 18:02:52

I back Bercow because has integrity in bucketloads, something the rest of the spineless Tories should want to emulate. He is a magnificent orator, he is fair, decent and an absolute joy to watch #backBercow

EnglishRose Sun 08-Sep-19 18:45:45

URM....best news this entire weekend, politically.... Thanks for posting.

The position of unbiased Speaker has been abused for over 9 years. Time for a good man or woman to take his place.

NanKate Sun 08-Sep-19 19:37:18

I will personally raise a glass when JB departs, odious little man.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 08-Sep-19 22:46:45

So I wonder just how long we will have to wait for Sparklefizz to come back and explain what she meant?

Firecracker123 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:53:24

Good the sooner the better. Odious little man.

Anniebach Mon 09-Sep-19 09:03:11

I liked him in his early years as speaker, he was fair to back
benchers. Now he thinks he is the star turn in a pantomime

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:06:50

Exactly right.

Mike Hind
@MikeH_PR
Of course the attack on John Bercow is not targeting the man.

It is targeting the rules that he upholds.

While the braying of Tories for Bercow's unseating may seem merely petulant, it's a signal that we are now fighting to prevent authoritarian Tory executive rule.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:10:01

Heartening to see Bercow getting massive support on social media.

I’m impressed by the defence of our democracy, and support for someone who knows our constitution inside out as well as parliamentary procedure, which means that the Tory government can get nothing past him.

Firecracker123 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:16:37

Mike Hind is a member of the Labour Party and Momentum so he would say that wouldn't he.