Gransnet forums

News & politics

Joe Johnson & his Guardian journo wife.

(55 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 09-Sep-19 08:30:58

Seems she wars the trousers. Gave JJ an ultimatum ‘it’s Boris or me’.

(Some might have said ‘Boris - you only have one brother but I could always get another wife’ - okay - message alert JOKE!!)

Turns out his wife is best friend of Boris’ ex (Marina).

She probably chose the timing of said resignation ‘for personal reasons’ too - to cause maximum damage.

You don’t come between a man & his family - it goes both ways (a woman & her family) you only do that if you want to cause maximum upset & what she has done is set out to cause this upset!!

Maybe it gets her some kudos at the Guardian newspaper but Jo Johnson needed to grow a pair & tell her where to go, despicable person!!!

EllanVannin Mon 09-Sep-19 08:38:52

There'll always be spiteful women during these situations.
Sad individuals with nothing better to do. Horrible trait.

Iam64 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:41:00

What a dreadful view of women some posters have.
"She wears the trousers". this isn't the 1950's, thankfully, many marriages are equal these days. Couple's talk about stuff and make decisions that suit their relationship.

Lessismore Mon 09-Sep-19 08:42:37

Just wondering where you got your information please?

Firecracker123 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:46:33

Agree Urmstongran, in my opinion JJ is a badstabber after Boris was good enough to give him a Cabinet position and JJ signed up to a no deal brexit. Seems JJ is a liar and a hyprocrite.

Luckygirl Mon 09-Sep-19 08:46:57

Whatever the impetus, his decision was the only honourable thing to do

janeainsworth Mon 09-Sep-19 08:49:53

Less
Surprise! It’s in the Daily Fail.
I’m not going to dignify it by providing a link.

paddyann Mon 09-Sep-19 08:51:44

Because Boris is such a great moral family man and model for Joe? Any man who leaves his wife and family while SHE is fighting cancer is lower than the low ...in my book.I wouldn't want anyone I know to be influenced by this excuse for a human.Boris is scum.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:52:47

Blimey ug you sound as if you are stuck in the 1950s!

The world has moved on considerably since then.

I often wear the trousers?, and my daughter was brought up to do exactly that! I would have failed in my duty if I hadn’t taught both my children to respect themselves and their partners, but to understand that each has a valid opinion that should be recognised. The result is that both son and daughter have brilliant relationships and one of equals.

This OP does reflect old women living in the past.

Sussexborn Mon 09-Sep-19 08:53:46

Unless Marina is a saint she must be pretty angry and humiliated after being dumped so publicly! Hell hath no fury etc etc.

In a perfect world every partnership would be equal but more often than not one person is more dominant. The difference is that it is just as likely to be the female nowadays.

Urmstongran! You criticised the Guardian! Naughty corner for you!

Iam64 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:55:36

The article says that Amelia Gentleman is a close friend of Marina Wheeler, the wife Mr Johnson left because of his dalliance with Carrie wotsit, when his wife was being treated for cancer.

janeainsworth Mon 09-Sep-19 08:56:08

Firecracker , in my opinion JJ is a badstabber after Boris was good enough to give him a Cabinet position and JJ signed up to a no deal brexit. Seems JJ is a liar and a hyprocrite

If course you could reframe that and say that Boris bribed Jo with a ministerial post to secure his support, but Jo became disillusioned when he saw that Boris was merely being manipulated by Dominic Cummings, had no intention of securing a deal, and did the honourable thing.

eazybee Mon 09-Sep-19 09:09:30

I have no idea about Jo Johnson's marital relationship but I am appalled at his behaviour. Not resigning the party or the whip or whatever, he is entitled to resign over a matter of conscience, but the spiteful timing of it, just before his brother's important session in parliament, guaranteed to undermine him.
All these resignations have been co ordinated to cause the maximum upset, and doubtless there will be more,
I am ashamed of the vicious behaviour of these members of the Conservative party because they are thwarted in their desire to remain in Europe and think of them as a boil which is lanced; they are the puss which is coming out.

Much has been said about the fate of Charles 1 after confronting parliament; not much has been said about the dire state the Interregnum left the country after 11 painful years; higher taxation, severe curtailment of liberty, the poor much poorer, widespread poverty, disastrous relations with Europe, and as for Cancel Christmas, much, much worse.

jura2 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:18:50

With you 100% Lucky: 'Whatever the impetus, his decision was the only honourable thing to do'

and another nasty thread. Confirmation that so many Leavers want to go back to Ye Good Olde Days 'when the men wore the trousers' yiiikes.

Dolcelatte Mon 09-Sep-19 09:25:33

Even Boris's children don't speak to him. What does that tell you about his family values?

jura2 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:29:52

But do tell us what your sources are Urmstongran? Where did you get all this precise and very intimate information from, pray tell. Do you spend much time indoors with the Johnsons?

Urmstongran Mon 09-Sep-19 09:38:18

The Daily Mail jura2

I read that, the Telegraph and the Guardian every day.

It’s gives a sense of perspective.

P.s. why the ‘pray tell’? It sounds old fashioned. A bit like my comment about ‘wearing the trousers’ really!

jura2 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:46:59

yes, it was meant to be ...

So the DM comments were nt picked up by the Telegraph nor the Guardian, I take it. Wonder why.

Having said that, should my OH wish to support Boris Johnson and help him destroy the country- I would give him an ultimatum for sure. And we both wear the trousers, just like my mum and dad did - equals, albeit different. I am so grateful we both feel exactly the same about Brexit - it has got to the stage where I could not live with someone who would currently be a Leaver, and neither would he.

Sussexborn Mon 09-Sep-19 09:52:52

Jura2. - and another nasty thread. Confirmation that so many Leavers want to go back to Ye Good Olde Days 'when the men wore the trousers' yiiikes.

Rather a sweeping statement! Anyone who holds a different opinion is “nasty” and all have exactly the same views! Not possible that Leavers are as many and varied as Remainers?

jura2 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:54:30

which is why I carefully wrote 'so many' and not all.

Urmstongran Mon 09-Sep-19 09:54:40

Oh dear

it has got to the stage where I could not live with someone who would currently be a Leaver, and neither would he

jura2 that’s some statement!

Doubtless you think JJ ‘s wife was right to give her ultimatum then? So much for free thought.

Imagine the outrage if he had told her she had to resign from her job!

Not sure how many wives Boris has had, but Marina had no thought to the wife she pinched him from - what goes around comes around (leopards and spots anyone?) and as for his brother what can l say - his own Constituents voted to leave and JJ knew the score and what the bottom line was when he accepted the Cabinet position surely?

sodapop Mon 09-Sep-19 10:01:56

I agree with everyone who thought this was an old fashioned view of marriage. I'm sure Jo Johnson and his wife have reached a sensible accommodation over politics as happens in our house. I do think this resignation was timed for maximum
damage impact.

paddyann Mon 09-Sep-19 10:02:17

Really? Urmostongran you think its fine to waltz off with someone else when your wife has cancer ? You obviously have very different standards from most folk.
Sadly I do personally know such a man ,he told his wife "I didn't sign up for this" as he walked away from her and his son .
He had very few friends after doing that .Rightly so in my book .That wife died and he wantd to have his son live with him,the boy refused and I never thought he was wrong .

jura2 Mon 09-Sep-19 10:07:28

OH and myself are totally Yin and Yang- chalk and cheese- and so very different- which is why it works probably. But there are lines neither os us would want the other to cross- because they are so fundamentally important to us both - and fundamental to our reliationship. That is good.

Sussexborn Mon 09-Sep-19 10:08:24

I feel for anyone “battling cancer” but isn’t there a saying that when a man marries his mistress it creates a vacancy?

Who is Boris Johnson's second wife?

High-flying barrister Marina Wheeler was Boris's second wife and the mother of four of his children.

It was reported that she was pregnant with their eldest child Lara when the couple married on May 8 1993 - 12 days after his first divorce.