Gransnet forums

News & politics

The next Government

(62 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Sep-19 10:02:42

I thought it was time to outline the policies as they get put out for public consumption, of the next Government, in order that it gives us time digest their intentions.

Brexit

A new Agreement will be negotiated which will ensure the protection of business and jobs by as far as possible, causing the least disruption to our economy and drawing the biggest chance of reconciliation from the factions in the U.K.
This will of course not satisfy either the hard leavers or remainers, but these are in the minority.

The Agreement will ensure that like Norway the UK remains in close single market alignment, ensuring that our protections remain and highest standards maintained.

Northern Ireland will be protected from potential violence, by the U.K. negotiated a comprehensive Customs Union. The farming community will no longer be faced with huge disruption or bankruptcy.

Once an agreement is finalised, it is proposed that it be put to the voter, together with the option to remain.

The voter can finally decide on truth, not lies, because it will be crystal clear what the outcome of each choice will be.

The Government will remain neutral in the voters choice, but will carry out the voters instructions.

growstuff Sat 21-Sep-19 21:06:28

BTW I think the strategy you outlined is the right one. If Labour were to win a GE, they should try to negotiate a new agreement, which should be put to a new referendum with "no deal" not as an option.

My personal view is that remaining is better than any option which could be negotiated, but if people wanted to accept a new deal, knowing very well what the consequences would be, I'd accept it.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Sep-19 21:08:15

I know grow

I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision

RubyLou Sat 21-Sep-19 21:40:11

Hi Whitewavemark2 - I am afraid I am allergic to your constantly robotically stating "the next government....' meaning the Labour Party. If this is supposed to be encouraging us to vote Labour it is failing with me. So it is not good electioneering.

Jeremy Corbyn has the lowest popularity rating of any Opposition Leader. The party conference began with a coup to oust the Deputy Leader, Tom Watson, an outspoken centrist. The party looks like a leftist clique with no compromise genes.

It's turning me off big time and I have ALWAYS previously voted Labour. Next time - Lib Dem.

Your posts sound like the Labour leadership. Droning over objectors, not answering points.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 21-Sep-19 21:45:49

Varian. Thank you but I have been watching the merged party since the late 80s and nothing has persuaded me that they are anything but Liberal. I am happy to see any party that is socially liberal but I see no trace of them being anything other than liberal when it comes to the economy especially with their performance in coalition.

You never know but I can't see them changing while they are pleasing so many people regarding the EU and building their numbers. They are not bad people, I just don't agree with enough of what the stand for.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 07:17:18

The next government will introduce free personal care for the elderly.

I welcome this.

dragonfly46 Mon 23-Sep-19 07:30:06

WW2 and where are the ‘next’ government going to get the money from for free personal care for the elderly?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 08:02:05

Presumably the same place as the Tories are getting theirs.

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 08:15:09

Just been reading about the IFS's analysis on what's on offer. Apparently, it's not so generous as it appears and it won't do anything for the poorest. An unintended consequence could be that the criteria for council-funded care become tougher. There are almost certainly going to be problems with staffing and funding, because most providers are struggling with the amount councils pay them.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 08:17:16

Don’t forget, that enabling the elderly to remain in their own home for as long as possible or in my mother’s case even those she is entirely bed bound and incontinent, means that they are kept out if hospital and the cost of care home.

That represents a clear saving to both the NHS and local authorities.

gallusquine Mon 23-Sep-19 08:18:11

What of Scottish Labour in this brave new world I wonder ?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 08:21:19

I saw that report grow.

However, I think that we can agree that this is becoming an existential crises and needs proper funding.

Don’t forget that this is a something the Labour has called for cross party cooperation, which seems very sensible