Gransnet forums

News & politics

How dare brexiteers jeopardise my daughter's life!!

(207 Posts)
mcem Mon 23-Sep-19 18:25:25

My daughter has serious chronic health problems.
After an ileostomy, she depends on drugs to keep her digestive system working.
She has serious kidney problems with resulting UTI's and so needs specific antibiotics. Her GP today, while prescribing for her latest UTI has given her several weeks worth of antibiotics as a precaution. She'll inevitably need them over the next few months so now has a reserve supply.
Meantime, her father (my ex husband but a good friend) is equally concerned about his diabetes med's.
One brexiteer declared in a vox pop interview last week that he is prepared to do without his insulin if it means brexit goes ahead!
Well tell that to my daughter's two children (9 and 10)!!
How can anyone in their right mind accept/condone the fact that it's becoming ever clearer that normal folks like my family may suffer badly because of their short-sighted and uncaring attitudes - and that's before we get into the economics, the dishonesty and the self-serving politics of this chaos!

Doodledog Mon 23-Sep-19 20:56:57

I don't think for a moment that many people voted Leave 'knowing that people would die'; but now that we do know that this is the case, I would have expected people to take stock and maybe reconsider, rather than thinking in terms of 'winning' and 'losing' with winner taking all - that is just breathtakingly callous.

This is not a game. It's not about pendulums, or boots on feet - it is about people dying, who need not have died.

Joelsnan Mon 23-Sep-19 21:13:25

Doodledog
No its not a game, but it is a case of who can frighten who into submission.

Fiachna50 Mon 23-Sep-19 21:13:49

I find this thread very sad. The blame game is in full swing and the politicians have got you all exactly where they want you- at each others throats. Brexit or no Brexit, do you honestly believe they are just going to let people die? I really cannot believe that. To date I have had my usual medicines no problem. Im sorry to say that anytime I have had medicines unavailable, is due to incompetence. I do not blame pharmacies as they are all under immense pressure with the ever increasing house building that is going on with no infrastructure in place. However, that is another debate. The hysteria on here is unbelievable. I in no way blame either Remain or Brexit voters for any medical shortages. It is time this government and the politicians got the finger out, grow a pair and reassure people about their fears. I didn't hear the story of the man re the insulin, but that too is hysterical nonsense. Its time everyone calmed down and really thought about things. If you have genuine concerns re your medicines, take it up with your MP/MSP. That is what they arè paid for. Please stop fighting one another.

mcem Mon 23-Sep-19 21:23:01

Pardon me if I prefer to heed the concerns of my DD's gp rather than your Pollyanna philosophy!
By the way emails to my MP simply confirm he is voting and speaking in HoC just as I'd want so he needs no more urging from me.
It's BJ and co who are listening to no-one but their fellow idiots.
Oh and I'm so sorry if you are offended by my genuine maternal concerns and choose to brand them hysterical!
I am pleased that you have no worries about your med's but forgive me if that's not the case for all of us.

mcem Mon 23-Sep-19 21:26:21

Ps I did see the interview with the martyr who'll forsake his insulin for the cause of brexit!

GracesGranMK3 Mon 23-Sep-19 21:30:39

Brexit or no Brexit, do you honestly believe they are just going to let people die? I really cannot believe that.

Why not Fiachna50. We have descended into "strong-man politics" and there is nothing more these would be dictators want than a war. That is just what the Brexiteers think this is. Until recently the casualties where mainly among the young men who fought. All too often now the casualties are civilians, mainly the old and the young. In this pseudo war why would things be different to the other current wars.

Gabriella has already regaled us with how Tories think. I do not think "Boris" will stop his plans to be King of the world because of the deaths of few old people, do you?

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Sep-19 21:30:55

No-one had died yet so it's rather disingenuous and even dangerous to start saying that it's about people dying who need not have died, and blaming those who voted to leave.
How did you all manage before we, in the UK, 'joined' the EU?
Were any of you short of meds?
Were you all for joining because it would guarantee a regular supply of medications?
Trying to make those who voted to leave, feel guilty about your or your family's work prospects or medications etc is absolutely beyond the pale...well beyond it.
I wonder how you can predict so much without actually having a clue.

You are blaming innocent people for something that has not happened.
How daft can you get...
Absolutely nuts.

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Sep-19 21:34:18

...and I am not a Tory voter. Anyone making spurious claims about my allegiances will get reported.

mcem Mon 23-Sep-19 21:35:46

Marginally better to be nuts and have a heart than to be utterly heartless and self-centred!

Fiachna50 Mon 23-Sep-19 21:36:00

Mcem I don't understand why you have been so downright nasty. I am very sorry about your daughter and the situation with the medicine. I still think you need to contact your MP. Anyway, I was trying to get people to stop and think rather than tearing each other apart. Thats fine if you want to take other advice. I really dont think I will bother commenting. Some of the people on here are not prepared to listen to another point of view and some are very nasty. You know nothing about me, so have a care. I understand you are upset, but no need to be so horrible. You will be pleased to know Im going and taking my Pollyanna philosophy with me. I honestly have to say Ive never come across as many nasty people in a group as in this Gransnet. I certainly wont be recommending it to anyone.Time for me to go I think.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 23-Sep-19 21:36:44

I stick to what I wrote Gabriella. Report away.

Summerlove Mon 23-Sep-19 21:39:08

How did you all manage before we, in the UK, 'joined' the EU?

Maybe because there were deals in place for trade with other countries?

Summerlove Mon 23-Sep-19 21:41:02

Anyway, I was trying to get people to stop and think rather than tearing each other apart.

What makes you think That people haven’t stopped to think? This is been going on for years now. People have thought their opinions through. There is so much information out there at our fingertips. All we need to do is actively search for it and parse through it.

This has been a long time coming.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 23-Sep-19 21:42:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MaizieD Mon 23-Sep-19 21:46:35

GG54 is a Faragist, GGMK2. Clearly being thought to be a tory is something of an insult...

I somehow don't think Gnet is going to be bothered about mis-attribution of allegiances hmm

mcem Mon 23-Sep-19 21:53:01

Maybe a wise decision F.
If you see my posts as nasty rather angry and worried, so be it.
Can't quite work out whether your posts are patronising or disingenuous but unlike some others, I do not see them as malicious.
I will now phone DD to find out if she feels any less anxious (not to mention unwell) since I spoke to her this afternoon.

paddyann Mon 23-Sep-19 21:54:30

they've been letting people die needlessly since they came to power..their austerity measures and the DWP atos assessments or whoever does them now have caused tens of thousands of unecessary deaths ...FACT .Why would they bother about some more? Especially folk at the bottom of the ladder .the ones they have been labelling scroungers because they are sick or old or vulnerable .

GracesGranMK3 Mon 23-Sep-19 22:02:16

I didn't actually say she was one, I don't think Maizie. We shall see.

Poppyred Mon 23-Sep-19 22:03:53

Started reading this thread and then realised it’s the same old story from the same old people screaming the same old message........ ???

GagaJo Mon 23-Sep-19 22:26:09

GG54 is a Faragist

Ahhhh. It all makes sense now. Totally.

Elegran Mon 23-Sep-19 22:32:21

How can it be "hysterical" to take seriously the goverment planning document - released by the government, not something dreamed up by scaremongers which says quite clearly in paragraph 6 -

"The reliance of medicines and medical products' supply chains on the short straits crossing make them particularly vulnerable to severe extended delays: three quarters of medicines come via the short straits. Supply chains are also highly regulated and require transportation that meets Good Distribution Practices This can include limits on time of transit, or mean product must be distributed under temperature controlled conditions. Whilst some products can be stockpiled, others cannot due to short shelf lives - it will also not be practical to stockpile products to cover expected delays of up to six months .

(Without mitigation,there could be a reasonable worst-case low rate of*40% of the pre-Brexit amount of medicines coming in* via the short straits, with significant disruption lasting up to six months. DHSC is developing plans to mitigate this. Fingers crossed their mitigation works!)

Veterinary medicines will also suffer, "with potential detrimental impacts for animal health and welfare, the environment and wider food safety, availability and zoonotic diseases which can directly impact human health. Industry stockpiling will not be able to match the 4-12 weeks worth of stockpiling which took place in March 2019. Air freight capacity and the special import scheme is not a financially viable mitigation to fully close risks associated with all UK veterinary medicine availability issue due to border disruption" (DEFRA)

I do wonder whether some leavers have taken the chance to actually read what is likely to happen as a direct result of this action, and just why they are in denial about possible dangers to human and animal health and welfare - even of life if essential medication is in short supply. However much mitigation is planned, miracles are not guaranteed. God does not temper the medication shortage to the shorn lamb vulnerable patient.

Elegran Mon 23-Sep-19 22:38:34

Poppyred do you include the Governmment in your list of "the same old story from the same old people screaming the same old message......." That is where the quotes in my previous post come from, though the bold emphasis is mine.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 23-Sep-19 22:43:23

^How did you all manage before we, in the UK, 'joined' the EU?
Were any of you short of meds?^

Gabriella, I am still wondering how someone with legal training can be so illogical.

Hetty58 Mon 23-Sep-19 22:59:15

I see doom and gloom is alive and well.

Shortage of medicines is largely due to manufacturing and supply issues. Those of us who voted to leave didn't make a ghastly mistake. We weren't mislead. We haven't changed our minds. We simply voted to leave!

None of the predicted chaos has actually happened, has it? Yet still we have Brexit blamed for everything. Contingency plans have been made. There's certainly been enough time! If the vote had been to remain, I would have accepted it. Why can't remainers just accept the decision to leave?

Elegran Mon 23-Sep-19 23:03:22

Better complain to Govt then - it is all in that Yellowhammer report.