Gransnet forums

News & politics

For Remainers Only

(355 Posts)
Barmeyoldbat Tue 22-Oct-19 10:13:24

In response to the Leavers having a topic all to them themselves, I am starting one for the Remainers. So feel free to vent your delight in how we are doing. to stop this mess. So Remainers only please others have your own site.

Alima Tue 22-Oct-19 10:26:11

Boo!

Gaunt47 Tue 22-Oct-19 10:38:20

Couldn't have put it better myself Alima!

DoraMarr Tue 22-Oct-19 10:47:43

Oh dear! What a divided country! My own family is split, and they seem to be emboldened to come out with racist views they didn’t express before the Referendum. They also firmly believe that the E.U. dictates our laws, despite my lawyer daughter explaining that isn’t the case at all. I’m very sad that I may not be a citizen of Europe much longer, and am dismayed at the narrowing of opportunities this will mean for my children and grandchildren. I’m also saddened by the abuse levied from each side.

Labaik Tue 22-Oct-19 10:58:23

So MP's have been given a very short amount of time to fully read and understand the new 'deal'. Caroline Lucas has found this in it which, I believe shows that Johnson is still aiming for 'no deal'
10 hrs ·
The catch in the new withdrawal agreement...
There is no built in requirement for an extension to transition arrangement other than IF a government minister seeks to request one - that's quite a big "if".
and Hilary Benn agrees...
"Clause 30 of the EU (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill. What happens if the government doesn't propse an extension? Parliament would have no say and we would exit the transtion period on 31 December 2020 even if a trade agreement hadn't been reached by then with the EU i.e. No Deal."
I wondered if anyone with more understanding of such things can explain it to me. All I can assume is that MP's are, sensibly going through the document separately doing smaller sections. How wrong it is that the government of this country should have to be scrutinised in this way because it can't be trusted....

EllanVannin Tue 22-Oct-19 10:59:00

The way things have been going in this country over the years we need the Unity of Europe regardless of cost. As a country we send more to foreign aid than we do to remain in the union. Our country is too small to stand alone !

There's future employment to think about which means that jobs will remain secure. The economy will fair better with no restrictions on the movement of goods etc as presently we have a free market which would end with Brexit.

We trade very well with Europe which means that there'd never be hostility with those with whom we trade with----peace in our time.

We have to think about security too, then holidays which will increase in cost along with everything else.
There are numerous things which because we enjoy now and take for granted will change enormously if we are left to our own devices. I can just visualise a complete shambles for which there'll be no turning back.

EllanVannin Tue 22-Oct-19 11:02:36

Brexit will be the ruination of this country and I for one am glad that I'm " on my way out " and not a school-leaver !

NannyJan53 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:09:36

I agree with every word you say Ellan, it is a very very sad time for our country sad

As Dora mentioned, people I once thought fair and kind are now emboldened to make racist comments since the referendum.

Floradora9 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:32:22

Even sadder for Scotland who voted to remain in droves and this helps the Scottish Nationalist in their cause for independence which is even worse.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 22-Oct-19 11:36:21

I’m fearful for my children, they both are in science - one’s company recently got EU research funding, what happens in the future? They’ll probably have to move to the EU if they want to stay in current careers. Luckily they are eligible for Irish passports if they want them.

lemongrove Tue 22-Oct-19 11:46:40

Sorry Barmeyoldbat....but since the general consensus on GN is that all should be included, and remainers are commenting on the other thread, you won’t have to mind us popping up all over the place here!?
What we now need is a GE but Labour are too afraid of losing one ( forget all the bluster of ‘not trusting Johnson’ etc ) it’s pure fear.After all, under the fixed term Parliament Act, Johnson will still be in place for ages, so that excuse doesn’t wash.They fear Labour voters heading to the Brexit Party and Remainers heading to the Lib Dems.

silverlining48 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:50:52

Why was there never a mention of Ireland and Scotland in the referendum warm up, the only thing most recall is the massive savings of 357 million£ every week. Ha ha, as if.
Dd sent a piece today from national farmers union reporting that tons of apples are left rotting on the trees. No foreign labour ( usually 80% of the workforce) are coming over to pick.
We are a divided family keeping peace between my husband and our AC has been difficult and I have told my husband who voted out, never ever to complain if he doesn’t like the consequences if Brexit goes ahead.

jura2 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:51:22

oh and there I was, thinking lemon had finally got converted ...

A GE solves nothing at all in this instance. I'd say the only way is a second clean referendum on the current (disastrous) deal - or remain. And it is very much the other way round the Government knows it would go against them and that awful deal, which is much worse than Mrs May's deal- and remain would win, with a solid margin.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:53:35

There is no built-in requirement for an extension to transition arrangement other than IF a government minister seeks to request one - that's quite a big "if".

and Hilary Benn agrees...

"Clause 30 of the EU (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill. What happens if the government doesn't propose an extension? Parliament would have no say and we would exit the transition period on 31 December 2020 even if a trade agreement hadn't been reached by then with the EU i.e. No Deal."

lemongrove Tue 22-Oct-19 11:53:56

Never jura2 ?

GracesGranMK3 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:54:45

May I suggest that we just don't reply or comment on "leave voters"? This is what they asked for after all.

lemongrove Tue 22-Oct-19 11:55:24

Interesting, after all the hot air from remainers over a leavers thread ( not inclusive!) they are now enjoying their own thread.Irony indeed.

lemongrove Tue 22-Oct-19 11:56:35

I shall comment on both threads.wink

Barmeyoldbat Tue 22-Oct-19 11:57:27

Listening to the debate that is going on today I am feeling positive. I believe that the EU has been good for us, Human Rights, Worker's Right, Investment in this country, no borders, children able to be educated in EU. and the single market. The only reason this is being rushed through is the new law being brought in on January 1st about Off Shore Investment.

This will hit those like Boris, Mogg and the rest of the elite. You are I, well we don't count, just promise us anything and we go along with your wishes. Well we won't.

Another thing does anyone else thing the Red Mogg should be reported to Social Services for dragging his son into Parliament dressed in a min me when he should be outside in jeans skate boarding.

lemongrove Tue 22-Oct-19 11:57:42

A GE would clear the air just the same ( if not better) jura2

Barmeyoldbat Tue 22-Oct-19 11:58:41

Lets feel positive.

lemongrove Tue 22-Oct-19 11:59:07

Your last sentence or two is ridiculous Barmey

GracesGranMK3 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:59:48

Why the Withdrawal Bill is bad law

Posted: 22 Oct 2019 01:35 AM PDT
There is one phrase that appears time and again in the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill 2019. It is this:

A Minister of the Crown may by regulations make such provision as the Minister considers appropriate

In other words, the Bill effectively passes most power to Ministers.

And I do not trust our Ministers.

Which is reason enough not to want this Bill passed and for the time to be taken for these issues to be considered properly instead.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2019/10/22/why-the-withdrawal-bill-is-bad-law/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+org%2FlWWh+%28Tax+Research+UK+2%29

GracesGranMK3 Tue 22-Oct-19 12:01:00

Listening to the debate that is going on today I am feeling positive.

I know what you mean BoB. People really doing their job on our behalf.

Labaik Tue 22-Oct-19 12:01:29

The MP's must have, sensibly split it into sections to scrutinise it thoroughly. I was having some 'time out' but think I will watch Parliament today for a while. I'm at dog training tonight so will miss the vote. My poor dog is very worried, though....