Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit list - this one is different, really!

(113 Posts)
Nonnie Sat 26-Oct-19 10:26:37

Thinking about the 50p coins which have been minted and are not now being used, what else can you list that was 'definite' and how long did it last before being pulled?

I'll start with an easy one: SJ said there would definitely be a budget in November and then, less than 24 hours later, said there wouldn't.

Urmstongran Sun 27-Oct-19 19:11:34

Anthea the 50p coins were proposed under Theresa May.
Not everything is down to Boris you know!

SirChenjin Sun 27-Oct-19 19:16:18

Proposed under TM Urm and “approved at a meeting of the Privy Council on 8 October (2019) attended among others by Leader of the House of Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg. The Royal Mint, which is owned by the government, said it would not comment on how many coins had been made and what would happen to them now, saying this was "commercially sensitive".” (BBC)

So yes, this was down to Boris.

Urmstongran Sun 27-Oct-19 19:47:30

Proposed under TM Urm that’ll do Scj it validates what I said, thank you. Rubber stamped by Boris.
?

Callistemon Sun 27-Oct-19 19:48:50

I am still hankering after one of those 50p coins!

Urmstongran Sun 27-Oct-19 19:50:15

Same hospital that I worked in for 35 years MarthaBeck
My daughter lives in Urmston in Trafford Manchester and is a SRN at Davyhulme

It’s a small world!

SirChenjin Sun 27-Oct-19 20:10:09

No, not rubber stamped Urm, although that was a nice try - actually signed off and put in motion by BJ and his idiot cronies at a time when the 31st Oct was looking very doubtful. Hammond had proposed 10,000 limited edition collectors coins - this lot then instructed up to 10 million to be put into circulation. A shameful waste of money.

varian Sun 27-Oct-19 20:15:09

A shameful waste of money, our money is Johnson's shameful trademark. How does he keep getting away with it?

Urmstongran Sun 27-Oct-19 20:20:21

Three million coins - imprinted with the Brexit date of 31 October - were planned to be ready to spend by the end of the month.

A further seven million coins would have been struck in the first year. The plans were approved by the Queen earlier this month.

I like this take on it. Bet HM is thinking ‘just get on with it!’

Urmstongran Sun 27-Oct-19 20:22:24

Oh well, the batch of special Brexit 50p coins minted with October 31 are expected to become collectors' items now that it looks almost certain Britain will not have left the EU by then.

SirChenjin Sun 27-Oct-19 20:22:55

I wouldn’t presume to imagine what HM is thinking after she was lied to by BJ et al.

Again, a shameful waste of money.

varian Sun 27-Oct-19 20:41:13

I think Her Majesty is thinking "just stop this brexit nonsense"

She cannot speak about politics in public but we all remember her lovely blue and yellow hat.

Urmstongran Sun 27-Oct-19 20:50:26

I wouldn’t presume to imagine what HM is thinking

Oh lighten up people ... it’s a J-O-K-E! Jeez.

SirChenjin Sun 27-Oct-19 21:03:10

There’s nothing remotely funny about the Govt lying to HM (or Parliament or the public).

Pantglas2 Sun 27-Oct-19 21:05:54

Can’t they be melted and recast?

AllotmentLil Sun 27-Oct-19 21:58:38

Agree SirChenjin and putting a smiley emoji after doesn’t make it one!

Ginny42 Mon 28-Oct-19 01:22:23

Collectors would buy them and the Royal Mint could recoup some of their losses. In fact they may make more than the cost of manufacture as collectors' items.

Amagran Mon 28-Oct-19 07:10:37

Maybe they'll be known as the Hubris Commemorative Coin.

Nonnie Mon 28-Oct-19 09:40:28

Pantglas2 Sun 27-Oct-19 21:05:54 I think that is what will happen, I doubt they will ever get into circulation to become collectors items but I would love one and have started thinking about what to say inside the frame!

I read that each one minted has so far cost over £1, yet more money down the drain which could have been better used.

Callistemon Mon 28-Oct-19 10:30:23

I'm not paying more than £1 for one
Although I could be persuaded to part with a fiver for the one that you've pictured, Urmstongran!

varian Mon 28-Oct-19 10:31:47

The ability to cut red tape was a key Brexit prize—but the brexit supporters are in for a nasty shock.

The great Brexit irony is that leaving will mean more bureaucracy, not less.

The government has already had to employ 12,000 more civil servants to work on brexit, but that cost would pale into insignificance beside the enormous burden of form filling required by businesses both here and abroad to comply with the removal of frictionless trade.

Margs Mon 28-Oct-19 11:22:18

I shall keep my eyes open when walking the doggie and carefully inspect any ditches along the way in case I come across a spare Boris Johnson......but then, he's not very good at marriage vows so why would he keep any other promises?

lemongrove Mon 28-Oct-19 12:25:21

‘Brexit list-this one is different, really!’
Errrr, don’t think so Nonnie, looks much the same as all the others.hmm

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Oct-19 12:40:20

Maybe to you lemons but the rest of us are enjoying it.

lemongrove Mon 28-Oct-19 13:58:47

Well, who am I to stop any enjoyment that is out there??
It did start out well but then.......

mcem Mon 28-Oct-19 14:02:39

Oh dear, that champagne must be gathering dust!