Gransnet forums

News & politics

Considering voting Tory?

(391 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Nov-19 10:05:33

If you want our NHS to be ended and replaced by a private health scheme then this is where your vote should go.

The NHS is for sale if the Tories win. You won't take it from me? Take it from former Tory Prime Minister John Major.

"The NHS would be as safe as a pet hamster in the presence of a hungry python if Boris Johnson, Michael Gove & Iain Duncan-Smith rose to power following Brexit."

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 16:40:03

Trump and Boris plan to INCREASE cost of drugs to our NHS as part of a trade deal

This is chilling. It only lasts less than a minute ?

Oopsminty Fri 01-Nov-19 16:45:43

Maybe they'll manage to decrease some of them!

The prices that the NHS pays can be extortionate.

Take liothyronine. A thyroid drug that can help hypothyroid patients who don't manage well on T4 alone.

The NHS is a captive market. £260 for a pack of 20.

This same pack can be purchased in Europe for about a fiver.

www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news-in-brief/cma-investigates-1600-price-increase-of-liothyronine-over-eight-year-period/20206079.article?firstPass=false

There are plenty more examples.

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 16:52:34

Sweetheart you’ve missed the point completely. Did you watch the video. He makes it quite clear that the only ones who will benefit is the US!

How dare we in the UK and/or EU get out drugs cheaper

Oopsminty Fri 01-Nov-19 16:55:44

Sweetheart?

Somewhat patronising.

Did you read the link? What do you think about that? Nothing to do with USA.

Do some research on how much money the NHS is fleeced, year on year.

We've been paying too much for decades.

www.theweek.co.uk/81055/nhs-paying-up-to-1bn-too-much-for-drugs-says-report

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 16:56:50

Yes I did hon!

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 16:58:35

And we already knew that. Old news. What’s happening with this trade deal is recent. Very recent. And if you think we were being fleeced before and this doesn’t matter then ...

LullyDully Fri 01-Nov-19 16:58:41

I shall choose who to vote for myself without pressure from gransnet. There is enough pressure without propaganda from here.

jura2 Fri 01-Nov-19 17:32:40

Even Ken Clarke would NOT support a Farage alliance.

www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/1395950093898765/

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Nov-19 17:34:34

Make sure you don’t read it then lully?

Pantglas2 Fri 01-Nov-19 18:16:36

That’s where we differ Nonnie, history always informs my opinion. I figure if bad things can happen once, they can happen again if we’re not careful! People who don’t learn from mistakes are doomed to repeat them!

Meanwhile, I await a proper right wing Tory list rather than a left wing list which has been done better on another thread....

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Nov-19 20:46:55

It’s like rats leaving a sinking ship at the moment

Matthew Parris has gone now.

None of them leaving in their droves recognise the Conservative party that they joined.

Eventually the voter will wake up to that fact. I hope before it is too late.

mcem Fri 01-Nov-19 21:59:37

There is clearly a very peculiar mindset which allows someone to ignore proven truth while simultaneously believing proven lies!

Grany Sat 02-Nov-19 11:20:58

Thread who would want to vote Tory

twitter.com/DaveWardGS/status/1190325951932096513?s=20

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 11:25:01

But the fact is a lot of people do vote Tory.

But they are silent about it.

Due to being harangued and castigated for their choice.

I don't agree with a lot of people's choices but I find that it's their opinion and shouldn't be questioned

Unless it's Britain First or whatever the far right groups are called.

Can't be doubt with them

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 11:25:34

Doing... Not Doubt

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 11:38:27

Matthew Parris

Will Hutton
@williamnhutton
This is another powerful article from Matthew Parris, Liberal middle England Tories are beginning to leave the europhobic party of Mark Francois and Jacob Rees - Mogg - a trickle turning into a flood.
I’m leaving the Tories and voting Lib Dem

MaizieD Sat 02-Nov-19 11:42:06

Unless it's Britain First or whatever the far right groups are called.

Can't be doubt with them

You spoiled it there, Oopsminty

What you seem to be saying is that there is a limit to what you can tolerate.

For some other people toryism is outside their toleration limits...

newnanny Sat 02-Nov-19 11:43:47

I shall be voting Conservative. I like my local MP and when I looked up how he had voted on last 50 issues I agreed with his vote on 35 of them so closely aligned. I think Boris has done really well to get a deal that allows us to trade with EU and other countries too. I voted leave and so I am very happy with Boris' deal. My dh agrees with me and he will be voting Conservative too. It also looks like reduction in NI contribution and lowering of threshold between £40k-£80k so bonus for us. we could never vote for JC as we have btl homes.

newnanny Sat 02-Nov-19 11:46:23

typo 45 not 35

trisher Sat 02-Nov-19 11:51:26

Can't believe anyone thinks Boris has done well to get a worse deal than the Mrs May ones!

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 11:53:01

There is a limit. Maizie. I'm sure I'm not alone

newnanny Sat 02-Nov-19 11:56:42

trisher how is it worse than May's deal? Under Boris' deal we can trade with EU and have other trade deals with other countries too. How is that worse than May's deal?

dragonfly46 Sat 02-Nov-19 11:59:20

I won't be voting Conservative for the first time in my life as I cannot vote for a party who will take us out of Europe and has a leader with absolutely no integrity. However, I will not be voting Labour either. I remember previous governments. I also do not like the tone of this thread and if the people on here who are promoting Labour are anything to go by it is also a party I will not be allied to.

ayse Sat 02-Nov-19 12:10:08

I heard Matthew Parris this morning on radio 4 discussing his decision to leave the Conservative Party. He said they were rapidly moving to the right and there was no place for him or more liberal conservatives. He said he had always believed that one should fight for their principles within a party but he felt this was no longer possible within the Tory party.

I feel this was rather a damning statement concerning the direction of political travel within the Tory party. I was surprised to hear this from a former Tory MP.

trisher Sat 02-Nov-19 12:28:00

Under the deal we can only trade with the EU if we accept their trade regulations- so we are subjected to a regime we have opted out of and have no say in. It also effectively puts a border down the sea between England an N.Ireland. It removes all the safeguards for workers' rights, consumers and the environment. It's a blueprint for a Singapore economy.